PDA

View Full Version : SOBO September 3rd Whoa!

Comet Omega
03-25-2011, 17:23
Gonna do it! Fly into Burlington on the 2nd, head south starting on the 3rd! Now to figure out logistics! So psyched!

TJ aka Teej
03-25-2011, 18:02
Gonna do it! Fly into Burlington on the 2nd, head south starting on the 3rd! Now to figure out logistics! So psyched!

Wear orange.

Comet Omega
03-27-2011, 15:12
Got it on the orange and will throw in some florescent green for safe measure!

Tinker
03-27-2011, 19:22
Have fun and be safe. :)

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:51
You are going to start SOBO on September 3? Are you super fast or do you really like being cold or both? You can do a 3 month thru and be fine just as long as you know that's what you need to do - a bunch of 25 mpds

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:54
Oh - SORRY - I'm a dummy - the LT - awesome - forget my previous post - that will be perfect in September - I did it NOBO last year - let me know if you want some specific advice - I have my whole schedule from last year - love to help you out. Why SOBO?

mirabela
03-27-2011, 20:50
Super. You should be stoked. That's a real pretty time of year to do it. How long are you expecting to take?

Welcome to Vermont (a little early). Hope you enjoy your stay.

on_the_GOEZ
03-28-2011, 13:26
I left September 23rd two years ago and went NOBO. Beautiful colors, lots of snow, not many people. You will have a blast!

If you can, enjoy Burlington for a few days. It is an absolutely superb city!

Skid.
03-28-2011, 14:09
Does Tubbs in Stowe have a factory outlet for snowshoes?

double d
03-28-2011, 14:16
Congrats! I'm hiking the last 180 miles of the LT this summer (most of July) from Rt.4 to North Troy. Congrats and have a blast, Sept. is the best month on the LT (from what everyone tells me).

Comet Omega
03-28-2011, 18:39
Mirabela - Definately Stoked! Plan on about 21 -23 days, but have a month total in Vt. Have a buddy in Reading for the after party and transportation assistance.

Double D - Enjoy your hike too!!!

Tinker - Thank you!

on the GOEZ, Will do! Burlington is a cool city!

Papa D - I would like to pick your brain! SOBO, just because no real reason. I know it is harder that way in the beginning. Went SOBO last week of Sept last year from Breadloaf Wilderness to Killington, but just felt right for me to go South

Papa D
03-28-2011, 19:59
here are a few suggestions:

Mama Bower's B&B in Richmond (they will shuttle from Jonesville, PO)
Waitsfield Inn (call John - shuttle from AP Gap) - Waitsfield, VT
The Gathering Place, Hancock, VT - near Middlebury Ski Bowl
The Inn @ Long Trail - Killington, VT

Papa D
03-28-2011, 20:44
still don't know why you are going SOBO - I southbounded the AT because I had to start on June 1 - that was the only reason (though others are valid) - but the LT is so much cooler finishing just past Jay Peak after having done Mansfield, Camel's Hump, etc. - I'm just afraid N. Adams, MA might be a little bit of a let-down - just my 2-cents

10-K
03-28-2011, 21:18
still don't know why you are going SOBO - I southbounded the AT because I had to start on June 1 - that was the only reason (though others are valid) - but the LT is so much cooler finishing just past Jay Peak after having done Mansfield, Camel's Hump, etc. - I'm just afraid N. Adams, MA might be a little bit of a let-down - just my 2-cents

Haven't hiked the LT yet but North Adams definitely isn't a hub of excitement.

Best thing I saw was the salad bar at the grocery store. :)

on_the_GOEZ
03-28-2011, 22:20

Haven't hiked the LT yet but North Adams definitely isn't a hub of excitement.

Northern VT isnt that great either. In fact, there isnt really anything in Newport. Finishing after camel's hump, mt mansfield, etc. was nice but i would suggest going NOBO for other reasons, namely to get "warmed up" for the big boys in the north. That said, im going SOBO from Big K this June :D

Also, what town do you plan on stopping at in Massachusetts? I started from Williamstown, and it was an absolutely fabulous city. College town with great resaurants and groceries. I cant speak for North Adams but I would suggest taking the Pine Cobble trail down into Williamstown. Depending on transportation arrangments, you might have an easier time taking greyhound or whatever out of Williamstown, as well.

Jeff
03-29-2011, 06:40
Anyone here who finishes the LT in early October should plan to attend The Gathering in North Adams, MA October 7,8, and 9th this year. ALDHA brings more hikers together than any other event except for Trail Days in Damascus.

Best on the agenda for me are the presentations regarding other trails here in the USA and Internationally. Hard to decide which fantastic trail to hike next !!!!

http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm

Cookerhiker
03-29-2011, 06:44
The best part of the LT is from Mansfield down to Mt. Abraham. Enjoy those views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. If your schedule permits, stay one night at Butler Lodge on the west slope of the Mansfield massif.

Papa D
03-29-2011, 07:34
10K is right about North Adams - it's a real sleeper - there are a couple of pizza places with slow service - like 45 minutes for an "ok" pie. BUT, Williamstown IS a pretty good town - go WEST - get your groceries and stuff there. I did the LT Northbound so I guess I thought it was great and am biased toward that - here are three good reasons:

1) There is a good safe place to park and leave your car for NOBOS
2) There is a good place to supply and grocery shop NOBO
3) There is a good campground as a jump of spot if you NOBO - Historic Valley
4) The hiking start somewhat easy and gets harder
5) The second part of the trip has the more spectacular mountains if you NOBO
6) I would expand Cookerhiker's scope - the best part of the LT is from Mt. Ellen to Roundtop which includes Camel's Hump, Danforth Ridge, Mansfield and the Lamoille River Valley - all of which I think shows off better going north
7) The Long Trail Tavern in Johnson is more celebratory

The only problem is the ride back - I used a Taxi out of NH called Thomas Transportation - there are cheaper ways.

You'll have fun either way!

StubbleJumper
03-29-2011, 18:42

Isn't it more closed than celebratory? I liked Johnson because it's a quick hitch from the trail, but there's not much there. A supermarket, laundromat, a coffee-shop with excellent sandwiches and a bar/pub....

Comet Omega
03-29-2011, 20:13
Y'all... er..um..."You Guys" are great! You got me thinking, so my friend lives close to Killington, so although this is different, perhaps I could SOBO to Killington, Zero/resupply at his house (he is a trained chef) have him drop me at N. Adams and then my finish could be Killington? Close to his house so I could just hitch there and not have to worry about his or his wife's work schedule. Better finish than Mass. So cool to have so many options and plenty of time!

NorthCountryWoods
04-01-2011, 08:21

The tavern has been boarded up for about a year now. Not sure what happened.

stranger
04-01-2011, 23:36
I've made this trip nobo before, I think SOBO makes more sense. I don't accept the common 'advice' of going north because you will be in better shape after you walk 100 miles, here is why:

- The trail gets harder as you move north, so while you do build up 'some' strength on the much easier AT section, it's hardly noticed as you move into rougher terrain as you become (very slightly) more fit

- 100 miles is not enough time to become fit unless you train extensively beforehand, many hikers find they need a few hundred miles before they notice anything, but this depends on fitness levels and how hard people train

- Alot of the rougher terrain comes from footing issues, rocks, roots, slimy ladders, mud, exposure, puddles...no matter how strong you are these things will slow you down, I think it's assumed the LT is hard because of the elevation changes...and while they are there, I found the footing to be the real issue.

- The rough section is mainly from the Lamoille River to Sherburne Pass, so either way it's going to be in the middle miles (walking another 30-40 miles nobo isn't going to change much)

- Arriving at US4, you will have piece of mind knowing the hardest miles are behind you, end of story...no debate, you will then have 95 miles of easy/moderate terrain

- Finishing at MA means good link to public transportation, Williamstown has bus service, you can get trains outta Pittsfield Mass and Albany isn't that far away.

- Personally, I don't believe finishing at the Canadian Border is anything special, there is a little marker and some clear cutting and you are in the middle of nowhere...personally I would rather be a few miles from a large supermarket in North Adams!!

- I will acknowledge that many of the more spectacular sections are up north, mainly thinking Mt Abe, Lincoln Peak, Camels Hump, Mansfield (although Mansfield is very overrated) and it's nice to look foward to that, but let's not forget the southern sections has some great sites as well, Clarendon Gorge, Peru Peak, Little Rock Pond, Glastenbury Mtn, etc...

Have fun!

CrumbSnatcher
04-02-2011, 09:56
sobo in sept. for me :)

Comet Omega
04-07-2011, 18:21
Thank you Stranger! Crumb Snatcher...not sure when you are starting. Maybe see you out there, but if not ENJOY!

CrumbSnatcher
04-07-2011, 19:42
-------------------------------------------------------------

CrumbSnatcher
04-07-2011, 19:45
i hope you have a great time!:cool:

Papa D
04-07-2011, 20:51
saw Stranger's post - he is right that the whole trail is pretty - I went NOBO so I suppose I'm just biased - it was so cool for us to "walk to Canada" vs "walking to N. Adams, MA" - just my perspective - either way is fine - I still think going NOBO would be the most fun for a first time End to End Trip - have fun either way.

sharky
04-10-2011, 22:20
Just got my e2e guidebook and maps. I did a first rough itinerary and have myself finishing in 24-25 days. I have slightly more long days (12-13 miles) than short days (7-8 miles) mixed in. I'm pretty experienced and in good shape (will be in even better shape by September.

Anyone think I'm biting off more than I can chew?

stranger
04-11-2011, 10:46
saw Stranger's post - he is right that the whole trail is pretty - I went NOBO so I suppose I'm just biased - it was so cool for us to "walk to Canada" vs "walking to N. Adams, MA" - just my perspective - either way is fine - I still think going NOBO would be the most fun for a first time End to End Trip - have fun either way.

I agree that hiking towards 'Canada' had an impact on me mentally as well, it kinda made the finish line more romantic or something...and I would not change that hike for the world - that was my first long hike and I cherish it dearly, as I went nobo I can understand what you mean Papa D.

But if I went again, or if someone asked me my recommendation, I would suggest sobo based on my earlier post and the common sense notion that the sooner you get used to rough terrain, the better. I also think knowing the last 95 miles were considerably easier than the 170 you just walked would be more enticing than walking to 'Canada'...but who knows???

No two ways about it...reaching the Canadian Border on August 5th 1994 was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

StubbleJumper
04-11-2011, 19:07
You'll be fine to do the trail in 24-25 days. I did it last year in 24 days and I was a shade overweight and not in great shape. Start slow to gain strength, and you'll soon be banging of 15 mile days.

d.o.c
07-11-2011, 08:12
sobo september for me from canada to the bird cage in dalton mass.

Comet Omega
07-11-2011, 17:07
sobo september for me from canada to the bird cage in dalton mass.

May see you out the d.o.c! My start date may be upped to Aug. 30th...even more psyched with each day closer. Have an awesome hike!!!!

sharky
07-16-2011, 16:37
Comet, maybe I will see you out there since I'm doing it NOBO beginning September 8th. I just had minor knee surgery a day ago so I hope I'm okay by then.

sharky
07-16-2011, 16:41
Papa D I would like to pick your brain since I'm starting NOBO very close to when you started last year. Right now I'm planning to leave a car at the Inn @ LT and pay someone to shuttle me down south, then do the same once I get up north. Are there easier or cheaper ways of doing it that way? As of right now I'm planning to take 24 days including one zero day. Seem reasonable? Have you ever used the North Troy Inn?

nehiker
07-21-2011, 17:33
The cheapest way to get from the Inn @ LT to North Adams is by a series of local buses, but this may take quite a while. The bus to Rutland runs hourly, but the Manchester-Bennington-Williamstown bus only twice a day and only on weekdays. If you stay at Williamstown Motel, the guy will pick you up from the bus stop in Williamstown and drop you off at the trailhead the next morning.

If you will be coming from Baltimore, it might be cheaper to leave your car at home and take Peter Pan from NYC to Williamstown (or rent a car from Hertz and drop it off in Pittsfield, MA, from which there is a local bus to Williamstown).

For the way back, see
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73696-Transport-from-St.-Albans-to-Journey-s-End.&p=1172889&viewfull=1#post1172889
All of the possibilities there would involve far shorter shuttles than from North Troy to the Inn an the LT, and you would not have to pay for parking.

Comet Omega
07-24-2011, 10:30
Hope to see you out there Sharky! Have a great hike! Papa D has some great information.

Maynesxc
08-02-2011, 13:44
I'm starting a SOBO on August 8th. Doing the first 5 or 6 days with my Dad and Brother and then continuing by myself. Very excited.

Comet Omega
08-25-2011, 04:40
Flying to Vermont today! Ready to get away from the all time record breaking heat and drought of Austin. Over 70 days of triple digit temps, no rain everything is burnt. Man I just ready for the trail in Vermont and the Green Mountains! Probably hit the trail going south on Monday or Tuesday!

4eyedbuzzard
08-25-2011, 08:43
My son lives in San Marcos just south of you. He's been frying all summer.

It will be refreshingly cooler up here than in TX - you will actually need a sleeping bag at night! Enjoy your hike!

NorthCountryWoods
08-25-2011, 17:46
Good idea waiting until Monday.....Irene is supposed to be rolling thru on Sunday.