PDA

View Full Version : Old gear/ new gear

AndyB
03-25-2011, 19:59
I've been out of the backpacking scene for around 10-12 years and am trying to get my stuff together. All my gear is older and well used. I don;t plan on replacing all of it but some has to go, just not sure what yet.
Where have the most advancements been made inequipment as for as usefullness, weight, durability ect ect. Are packs a lot different now? water filters, boots seem pretty much the same, stoves are looking pretty wild and I'm not familar with a few of these brands of tent and sleeping bag manufactors.

Thanks
AndyB

excuses
03-25-2011, 21:12
In 06 I started hiking with my stuff from the 70's and 80's, they were heavy. I've replaced everything in the last 5 years for a more relaxed weight for the older body. Everything is lighter nowdays except water, it is still heavy ;)

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2011, 21:53
Many, but not all, have switched to trail runners or low hiking shoes over heavier boots. But even the boots are lighter now than even 10 years ago.

Stoves and cooking gear tend to be much lighter as well. There are cannister stoves weighing in under 3 oz without the fuel, and many alcohol stoves weigh under an ounce. Most Titanium pots are in the 4 to 7 ounce range for a .8 to 1.5 liter pot.

Water filters are lighter and better, and there is UV technology as well, and many still go with Aqua Mira or other chemical treatment as a very light weight option.

Tents and sleeping pads have become much lighter, with 2 person tarp tents now available in the 2 lb range as opposed to 4 to 6 lbs in the past. Many sleeping pads, such as the NeoAir are now under a pound for a full length inflatable. Closed cell pads are about the same - still light, but still pretty thin and not real comfortable for older bones.;)

Packs are lighter, but mostly because their suspensions and materials are lighter as hikers aren't carrying as heavy loads as they used to due to lighter gear and the UL philosophy / movement.

Sleeping bags are also bit lighter, due to lighter fabrics and higher fill power down being available, but not to the extent as with other equipment. I still have a 1990's goose down NF 20 deg F bag that is only a few ounces heavier than the newer models (and possibly of better quality from a construction / sewing standpoint).

But the biggest change is the Ultralight UL philosophy. Hikers have become very aware of how every little thing they carry adds up. Pay attention to the ounces, and the pounds go down. This allows smaller and lighter packs, further reducing weight carried.

Search around here for a while. There's hardly a week that goes by without a discussion on gear weight.

AndyB
03-25-2011, 22:32
thanks for the input. Looking at my stuff, my pack seems okay, smells a little funky, but plenty of miles left in it. It's a Gregory, was always big enough for what I needed to carry
My boots are toast (limmers) so that's one thing I need to look into. I wore trail shoes a lot when i was ridgerunning back in the day, but man I love getting new boots,lol.
Sleeping bags..hmmm.. some how I have a huge pile of bags, evidently I was worried about a sleeping bag shortage in the 90s. I have plenty there looks like a couple down and a couple synthetic.
I'm guessing my Svea 123r is not the cutting edge stove it once was:-?
Water filter appears to have been stored wet and is very questionable. probably a throw away.
The NF tadpole is missing the poles, so it's just a TAD,lol I wonder if the poles will work from a new one? The seems to be a few varies timberline model tents as well, but those are pretty heavy.

This going to be fun!

Snowleopard
03-25-2011, 22:57
Your best bet is to take a scale and start weighing all your old gear. The things that are a lot heavier than new gear replace when you can afford to. See how much it all weighs. Check out some of the gear list threads here to see what weight you're aiming for.

Your pack is probably heavy by today's standards, but you need to lighten up everything else to use a light pack. If it smells and it doesn't wash out, the waterproof coating may be deteriorating and can't be fixed.

Down sleeping bags last a long time if stored properly. That may be the one thing that you'll never need to replace. My best piece of gear is a good down bag that is more than 10 years old.

Tent poles can be replaced. If northface is too expensive, you can put your own together with parts from: http://questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES or other places online. Sometimes the waterproof coating on old tents deteriorates, smells bad and needs to be thrown out. Your tent is heavy by today's standards. Consider using a tarp and mosquito netting instead.

The Svea 123 is classic and should be good for another couple decades, but it is heavier than alcohol stoves or gas canister stoves. Search for home made alcohol stoves and see if they're of interest to you. You probably have too much cooking gear; leave most of it behind.

Most people carry a lot of stuff that they don't need. It might be nice to have if you're car camping, but if you're carrying it any distance on your back bring it only what's needed and leave behind the stuff that would be nice to have.

Now, get out the trails and have fun.

skinewmexico
03-26-2011, 01:40
Look into a ULA Circuit to replace that Gregory.

Trailbender
03-26-2011, 08:47
Don't forget, you can make or repair a lot of your own gear as well. I am wearing a pair of Merrells that I picked up in HF on my thru last year that I am still wearing. The front half of the sole is held on with 550 cord through the sole and upper, and sewn together. Apparently shoes start splitting at the front. It was a simple repair, and saved me the money of buying new shoes. The soles are still pretty good.

Feral Bill
03-26-2011, 12:16
I'm guessing my Svea 123r is not the cutting edge stove it once was:-?

If you want to cook, you can't beat it. Well worth the marginally greater weight.

mirabela
03-26-2011, 12:28
I'm guessing my Svea 123r is not the cutting edge stove it once was

Don't sell that thing short, man. I sold mine years ago, but out of all the possessions I've ever parted with it's one of the very few I've often wished I had back.

AndyB
03-26-2011, 13:43
it does boil water awefully good. As a rule I don't sell things ,so it 's more of a matter of just carrying it or not. Plus it's worth the look on peoples faces when you bust one out.

Tenderheart
03-26-2011, 18:08
If you want to cook, you can't beat it. Well worth the marginally greater weight.

I agree on the SVEA 123! It's a great little stove.

Frogdown
03-31-2011, 15:56
I sold a Svea with a Sigg-Tourist cook set today for $30. :banana

markmack
04-03-2011, 13:32
Look into a ULA Circuit to replace that Gregory.
that gregory is a work horse and if its still in good condition and comfortable for you no need to replace it!

Feral Bill
04-03-2011, 13:57
I sold a Svea with a Sigg-Tourist cook set today for $30. :banana
You made a generous deal.