PDA

View Full Version : chance for success now ?

coopslave
03-25-2011, 21:39
hey all im new here, how you all ?

anyhow i got a question before i give this much more thought, see i got layed off today. so the question is whats the chances i can plan a through hike of the appalachian trail in a couple weeks, i dont need to worry about gear or clothing or any of that just the mail drops and permits and such, i was planning on doing all of pa and maryland in june anyhow so what ya think can i pull it off ? this might be my only chance, im getting older and have had multiple surgeries to my back, and i feel it more and more every year. I just got to poo or get off the pot i know that! :confused: anybody else ever do a last minute through hike ?

thanks coop

mainelydave
03-25-2011, 21:52
Just do it. Plenty of time. Head to Georgia and go! I'm not a thru-hiker, but from what I read, preparation isn't really necessary, just the ability to go with the flow.

RWK
03-25-2011, 21:56
If you have all the equipment there's no reason you couldn't. The few permits you need like for GSMNP can be obtained just before you enter the park and you don't have to do any mail drops.

Blissful
03-25-2011, 21:57
If you have the the money and the desire to do it, why not? Permits are not needed anyway until you reach the areas where you need them (ie GSMNP and SNP). You could go up to the first week of May and make it before the snows.

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2011, 21:59
Gather up the gear, go to Georgia, start hiking north. No need to plan all that much. Mail drops aren't really necessary. Just buy as you go, and if you want to bounce some stuff go to a PO and use a priority box.

singing wind
03-25-2011, 22:14
Hey coopslave - why not? The beauty of the AT is in most places it's fairly easy to access and logistics - ie food, can be sorted along the way. Although Springer is a 'traditional' starting point, maybe consider a couple weeks hiking in gentler terrain, say MD or southern PA, to break in and look after your physical concerns.

Whatever you decide, may everything come out in the best possible way!

coopslave
03-25-2011, 22:17
:jumpwow, you folks are great !

i posted that and went for a soda, came back and had all these replies and guess what, when i started reading them i got that chill up my spine, you all know the one, the one we search for ! it feels right ! i got the money, my oldest turned 18 in sept. have not been married or had a girl friend for years. looks like im going to Geooogia ! i kinda knew i was gonna try already, i just needed a little nudge. im still having chills ! I think it might be that i dont just do stuff at the drop of a hat ! hope you all dont mind helping answer some questions as they arise, but ive definatlely made a decision. thank you all very kindly, guess i should go get a new trail guide, which one ? mines really old, like 15-20 years

thanks again i gotta go im all giddey and stuff and ill just keep runnin on !
:jump
coop

Lilred
03-25-2011, 22:31
:jumpwow, you folks are great !

i posted that and went for a soda, came back and had all these replies and guess what, when i started reading them i got that chill up my spine, you all know the one, the one we search for ! it feels right ! i got the money, my oldest turned 18 in sept. have not been married or had a girl friend for years. looks like im going to Geooogia ! i kinda knew i was gonna try already, i just needed a little nudge. im still having chills ! I think it might be that i dont just do stuff at the drop of a hat ! hope you all dont mind helping answer some questions as they arise, but ive definatlely made a decision. thank you all very kindly, guess i should go get a new trail guide, which one ? mines really old, like 15-20 years

thanks again i gotta go im all giddey and stuff and ill just keep runnin on !
:jump
coop

Wow, talk about exciting!!! Good luck, have a blast and I'm jealous as hell!!! Now that's the way to start a thru!!

Doesn't matter what trail guide, they all do about the same.

fredmugs
03-25-2011, 22:39
You have plenty of time to do it and you will not need advanced shelter reservations anywhere since you will be a thru hiker. All you have to do is self register once you get to GSMNP and SNP.

stranger
03-26-2011, 09:07
In this day and age...there is no planning needed for long distance hiking along the AT really, there are now 3 different thru-hiker guides, plus the data book, you don't need to do any maildrops before you leave, you can do them en route anyhow:

ie send a box of food from Hiawassee to Fontana Dam, from Damascus to Atkins, from Duncannon to Port Clinton, etc...

All you really need to do is get to Gainesville and have the folks at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega pick you up...and you are at Springer Mountain. People leave all the way up to early May, don't hesitate...you're not getting any younger right?

It really is that simple...go for it!

Mountain Mike
03-26-2011, 12:46
hey all im new here, how you all ?

anyhow i got a question before i give this much more thought, see i got layed off today. so the question is whats the chances i can plan a through hike of the appalachian trail in a couple weeks, i dont need to worry about gear or clothing or any of that just the mail drops and permits and such, i was planning on doing all of pa and maryland in june anyhow so what ya think can i pull it off ? this might be my only chance, im getting older and have had multiple surgeries to my back, and i feel it more and more every year. I just got to poo or get off the pot i know that! :confused: anybody else ever do a last minute through hike ?

thanks coop

Go for it. AT is very forgiving of any resupply foul ups. Read Weathercarrots post about resupply. AT allows you to start slow & hike yourself into shape. You can do mail drops from the trail in bigger towns when you fnd out what you are craving. Get out & do it so you don't regret it later in life