PDA

View Full Version : T minus 66

myotheralt
03-26-2011, 00:27
I think I have everything.

Well, almost. I still need to get feet things. I am leaning toward these Keenhttp://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss11/shoes/men/trailhead/newport/midnight%20navy!gargoyle

My train ticket is sitting there staring at me. I am to leave May 29th. I should be getting to Medway on the 31th at 8pm. Of course, I still need to buy the bus ticket from Portland to Medway, then a room for the night, then a shuttle to the trailhead.

map man
03-26-2011, 01:15
Hey, fellow Iowa hiker! Good luck!

That sandal looks interesting -- hiking shoe tread and sandal upper. Have you hiked in anything like this before?

myotheralt
03-26-2011, 01:26
No. Actually, I havent hiked much at all. Well, not like this. I have done several short hikes (less than 15 miles individually) with the military. And I did have a 40-45 pound pack for that, plus the flack jacket and helmet, ugh. That was all in decent tall boots.

I know I dont want an open toe box. Yesterday, I kicked a curb and got a nasty blood blister like thing at the hit, and damn did it hurt. I couldnt properly cuss out the sidewalk, because there were too many kids around.

I will probably get a pair of crocks too, camp shoes.

ScottP
04-03-2011, 22:56
I tried hiking in those. I disliked them intensely. But I've seen people that like them. One of my hiking buddies only hikes in Chacos (he has oddly shaped feet and they're the only thing that fit him properly), and he buys them one size too large to help protect himself from stubbing his toe. Watching him hike through thick piles of leaves was pretty hilarious though.

There are just a few extra foot care things that you have to take care of if you do long distance hiking in sandals. Might want to get some feedback from a sandal user.

Blissful
04-04-2011, 10:13
Just be careful with sandals in the rugged terrain up there. A gal broke her toe wearing them last summer SOBO.