PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Box?????

q-tip
03-26-2011, 08:32
Hey All;
Anyone have experience using a bounce box on the AT. My biggest concern is the PO losing my stuff.... I am looking to bounce:
TVP
Chargers
Extra vest
Fuel canisters
some food stuff
Any Suggestions????
I welcome your comments.
Q-Tip

Pedaling Fool
03-26-2011, 08:38
I've done maildrops, but not bounceboxes. Regardless, fuel canisters are plentiful out there, not worth the trouble of shipping fuel canisters. Yes it is legal, by ground, but many post office workers are confused about the issue. The one time I shipped canisters was on a bike trip, I don't think I'll ever do it again, just so many problems dealing with them and then I never received the canisters. I ended up getting that box to my house well after the trip and only because I called around looking for it.

Montana Mac
03-26-2011, 08:44
If you use priority mail for your bounce box it will get there the quickest. Also when you get to the PO where you bounced it to if you don't need to open the box for anything you can have it forward to the next location but you cannot (legally) ship fuel canisters in priority mail.

ShelterLeopard
03-26-2011, 09:10
I've had trouble bouncing fuel canisters as well, and it really isn't worth it. You can find them anywhere near the trail, not to mention often nearly full canisters left behind in hiker boxes.

I think bounce boxes are a waste of money, but a couple of times I did bounce things along. Only once or twice though, like if I wanted to do a very lightweight section and bust out some miles, I bounced along a few heavier things I could do without.

I did do a few maildrops, but instead of bouncing the jazz I didn't need, I just traded it out or left it in hiker boxes. Rambling? I haven't finished my coffee yet, sorry...

ScottP
03-29-2011, 15:09
IMO a bounce box is more hassle than it's worth.

johnnyjohnson2043
03-30-2011, 13:16
I was planning on doing a bounce box on my thru-hike in April just so I would have a pair of clean clothes for town and a few other luxuries while I'm off trail. I didn't want to limit myself with mail drops so I figured a bounce box would be a nice compromise. Anyone know how long post offices will hold a box if for some reason it takes longer for me to get to the next town?

Mr. BuffaloMan
03-30-2011, 13:33
PO's will usually hold stuff for 30 days. Just make sure you clearly mark the package "Please Hold For Hiker (your name), ETA (expected arrival date or best guess).

sbhikes
03-30-2011, 14:36
Bounce boxes are a pain but I kept using one.

TVP - Is this Texturized Vegetable Protein? Bounce boxes are great for specialized foods that are hard to find

Chargers - Bounce boxes are great for chargers. I could go more than two PCT sections with my camera batteries so I didn't want to carry the charger.

Extra vest - Bounce boxes are great for shipping ahead your warm layers during the wamer summer months or for doing little gear tests on the trail (not sure if you'll be happy with gear item x? Ship the old item ahead one town and then you can get it back if you aren't happy with gear item x). I would leave true extras that aren't actually expected to be used at home and simply ask someone to mail them to you if needed.

Fuel canisters - Not good to mail.

some food stuff -This is one of the main things I used mine for. I had a hard time spending money on food and then trowing extra food away or into a hiker box.

Q-Tip - And toenail clippers and stuff you can use to fix things and refills on first-aid/hygiene.

Blissful
03-31-2011, 09:34
I would not bounce fuel canisters. They have to go surface and can take upwards of 2 weeks to arrive. I used a bounce box in '07, none last year. My charger for my phone was light enough to carry; my camera takes AA batteries. Food you can get in town. For clothes just wear your rain gear while you do laundry.

johnnyjohnson2043
03-31-2011, 17:13
I just found out how much of a pain it was to ship fuel. I've read on a variety of websites including this one that it really depends on the company you are shipping with and that it must go ground. I boxed up my gear to send up to the Hiker Hostel in GA but when I brought it to a local pack and ship place they told me that they would not ship it with the canisters. So I had to reopen the box and pull them out. Luckily I can buy more at the Hiker Hostel when I get up there. I probably should have called ahead before I tried to ship them.

Pony
03-31-2011, 18:07
IMO a bounce box is more hassle than it's worth.

For the most part I agree, but I did bounce my maps. Seemed like less of a hassle than hoping someone at home sent the right ones, and on time. And I could bounce the whole bundle and just take out the ones I needed.

Migrating Bird
03-31-2011, 18:35
For the most part I agree, but I did bounce my maps. Seemed like less of a hassle than hoping someone at home sent the right ones, and on time. And I could bounce the whole bundle and just take out the ones I needed.

Same here along with:

Thru hiker Companion (cut out pages needed to carry)
Flip flops for town.
Clean shorts/shirt
Spare socks
Needles & Thread (extra dental floss)
Large tube of toothpaste, carried small tube
Large sanitizer
drink mix Ocean Spray packets, too many to carry at once.
Cocco
Chargers & cables to download pictures (no drug stores in parts of ME)
Large Honey (carried small container)

Used the same box, just changed the address
Finger & toenail clippers,
Meds in larger quantity

Downside:
Expensive
Don't send to PO (have to hit town during PO hours) sucks if you arrive late on Sat, so I tried to send it to a hostel or business.

Pony
03-31-2011, 19:07
Downside:
Expensive
Don't send to PO (have to hit town during PO hours) sucks if you arrive late on Sat, so I tried to send it to a hostel or business.

This is mostly why I didn't use a bounce box more. I can't seem to hit a post office on any other day that Sunday, unless I do long days to get there. (or really short days) Also, I didn't want to spend so much money on shipping.

I started in Damascus and bounced my maps to Waynesboro, Harpers Ferry, Kent, and Hanover. Yes, I carried a lot of maps, and probably a lot of other crap that I didn't need, but couldn't justify the cost versus the weight.