PDA

View Full Version : Physical Training

q-tip
03-26-2011, 09:03
Hey All;

Just some thoughts... My first time on the AT I did 100 mi undertrained and overpacked.

The next 900 mi trip I did a training protocol from the book CLIMBING: TRAINING FOR PEAK PERFORMANCE. (Clyde Soles)

It has a 3-month Alpine training schedule that works on strength, cardio, and endurance.

The most important addition to my training is a heart rate monitor. Not just good for training, but excellent for daily hill management on the AT. I knew if I stayed uner my performance threshold (155 bpm) I could walk all day--hence- minimal standing 8 counts...

In addition, we talk alot about shedding weight from our gear. The easiest place to get rid of weight is on our bodies... For the AT last year I lost 23 Lbs on Weight Watchers in 2 months--basically got my base pack for FREE...

I am now training for a the CT in June. Way ahead of my training and already have lost 18 lbs with three months to go. I have another 15 to lose. I am getting all of the weight I am carrying including clothes worn -33 lbs- I am carrying for FREE!!!!!!.

Just some thoughts.

Best Wishes,

Q-tip

Duff
03-26-2011, 09:26
On a 900 mile hike, you will lose weight. You simply cannot cary enough food or "bulk up" in towns versus the calories expended. While I'm not advocating gaining weight prior, if you're at "optimal" weight vs BMI rating prior to your hike starting, you'll be "skinny" afterwards. The biggest "hit" though will be your energy; if your body has no reserves, then the muscle loss will sap your hiking energy. Look at the summit pictures of Kathadin; not many overweight hikers. HYOH, but, as long as you don't overdo it at the start of your hike, the miles and the hills will get you in shape. Have fun!

garlic08
03-26-2011, 09:37
Nicely put and well done.

There's no need for the AT to be struggle. A fit, prepared, and properly outfitted hiker will find it challenging and fun rather than a struggle.

Hiking the AT, for most people, is a major expense in time and money and sometimes careers and relationships. I'm surprised more don't prepare for it the way you have. I was surprised at the number of overweight hikers I met on the AT. And I noticed the size of the waist was usually inversely proportional to the smile on the face.

Blissful
03-26-2011, 17:02
The AT is a struggle in many places and in many facets whether you have fat on you or not. It's a mental game not a physically "am I in shape" game. I've seen plenty of skinny peope get off the trail b/c of having a lousy time, etc. Better to get in shape mentally, imo.

leaftye
03-26-2011, 17:19
I used to use a heart rate monitor and am a strong supporter of them. I first started using one when I moved from Alabama to the high deserts of New Mexico and found myself gasping for air and taking breaks on a staircase at 10,000 feet. On my next trip I was wearing a heart rate monitor and found my heart rate frequently rising above 170 bpm at the higher altitudes. That explained it. My heart was trying to EXPLODE! I also used it at half that altitude to see how my body was responding to running. In Alabama I was a decent runner and my speed was usually limited by my form and muscles, but in New Mexico I would barely sprint a few dozen yards and my lungs would be screaming while my legs were feeling fresh and begging for more. Again, my heart rate was through the roof. I also experienced the same thing when lifting weights. I ended up wearing that heart rate monitor for a few months to force myself to workout within a range of 150-165 bpm. I found that as long as my heart rate stayed below 160, I could pretty much run 5 miles without a problem. If I kept my heart rate in the low 150's or lower, I could walk all day. Even now when I'm very out of shape, I still find the same thing to be true. I also found out a few months ago that when I let my heart rate rise into what felt like 180 bpm's, the weeks afterward were spent wheezing and babying sore lungs.

I don't think a heart rate monitor is a good idea on a thru hike, but it's great during training. Use it to get familiar with your body so that you know what you can do, and more importantly, know what you shouldn't do.

general
03-26-2011, 17:43
The AT is a struggle in many places and in many facets whether you have fat on you or not. It's a mental game not a physically "am I in shape" game. I've seen plenty of skinny peope get off the trail b/c of having a lousy time, etc. Better to get in shape mentally, imo.

Best advice ever.

physically, you'll be in optimum shape after some miles anyway, no matter what condition you start in.

Mags
03-26-2011, 18:12
Yeah, but overweight, out-of-shape people have a higher chance of dropping out due to injury. 75% of the people who attempt the AT drop-out. Why put yourself more at risk by being out of shape?

You can say all you want that it is a mental game and not physical, that nothing gets you ready for a long hike but a long hike, blah, blah,blah, blah and other excuses.

The plain truth is that if you are in good (or even decent) physical shape, hiking is much more fun.

I enjoy the outdoors too much to be out of shape.

If you are content watching re-runs of Dancing with the Stars instead of taking a hike, taking a backpacking trip once every two years, struggling for the first month and ..then by all means. Listen to the advice of most people on this forum. Physical fitness is not important at all.

If you think the outdoors is something to enjoy, cherish and savor, then go biking, take a walk, grab those skis, take a jog in your local park. I also guarantee that if you are actually outdoors on a regular basis (even walking in your town on side walks in all kinds of weather), the mental training will take care of itself too.

You'll have more fun when you do take a hike, your health will be better and you won't have to make up excuses on Internet forums about why you are out of shape when you start a hike and why others should be that way, too. :)

(Back from a 10 mile ski tour...because I happen to think physical activity is fun and not a chore!)

Other thoughts:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

map man
03-26-2011, 18:26

Being in good mental shape and being in good physical shape are not mutually exclusive. Best to have both things going for you!

leaftye
03-26-2011, 19:11
The plain truth is that if you are in good (or even decent) physical shape, hiking is much more fun.

So true. Early last year I hike parts of the PCT several times. I was breathing hard, sweating up a storm and wincing from my aching feet. I noticed little more than the ground in front of my feet. Later last year I hiked the same section of trail. I was in much better shape. I was incredibly amazed at how beautiful the trail was! How did I miss all that on previous trips. I didn't have to think long to realize that the difference was that being in better shape now allowed me to take it all in instead of being wrapped up in my suffering. Being in better shape also meant that I could walk faster and finish my daily mileage in less time, which meant longer breaks and time for fun detours. After realizing that huge difference, I don't think I'd want to get back on the trail unless I was in good enough shape to enjoy every step of it.

DapperD
03-26-2011, 20:06
Yeah, but overweight, out-of-shape people have a higher chance of dropping out due to injury. 75% of the people who attempt the AT drop-out. Why put yourself more at risk by being out of shape?

You can say all you want that it is a mental game and not physical, that nothing gets you ready for a long hike but a long hike, blah, blah,blah, blah and other excuses.

Being in good mental shape and being in good physical shape are not mutually exclusive. Best to have both things going for you!Being in a good mental state when starting a long distance hike is important, but being able to maintain that positive mental acuity day after day for months on end is going to be the real challenge. Showing up to begin a long distance hike with a positive mental outlook/focus but being in the physical state of unfit/obese:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55786&highlight=obese+thru-hiking may begin to erode/evaporate that positive mental outlook real quick, especially in the beginning when the out of shape hiker is struggling up rough, steep terrain under the weight of his pack and overweight body. Why not attempt to couple that positive mental outlook/focus/desire with a decently conditioned body to give yourself a double edge so as to remain positively focused and ultimately successful:sun

10-K
03-26-2011, 20:22
Ideally a person would take care of themselves even if they weren't going on a hike. I hike all the time but if I didn't I'd still enjoy:

1. healthy weight
2. no depression / better mood
3. no lifestyle diabetes risks
4. no lifestyle heart disease risks
5. good sleep
6. good sex
7. great blood pressure
8. low cholesterol
9. good appetite / digestion

... and the list goes on.

weary
03-26-2011, 21:18
Very true. But being in physical shape helps. There's no easy way to walk 2,000 miles. Phyically it's not really that difficult. But emotionally and mentally, it's a challenge. Very little in America prepares folks for skipping out for six months to hike a trail.

Wise people will get their bodies in as good a shape as time allows.

Even then, many succumb to minor aches and pains. Even me.

Well, I didn't stop. I did take days off from aches and pains.

Whatever. I have no regrets. Though I recognize that perhaps I should have regrets. I sense I walked more miles than many that received 2000 mile certificates in 1993. But I know I could have walked a few -- perhaps many -- more miles than I did.

Watever. it was an experience of a lifetime. That will still be with me, I hope, on my death bed.

fredmugs
03-26-2011, 21:39
I tend to put on 20 pounds over the winter and hiking at 210 sucks compared to being around 190 or 195 in the summer.

Fortunately I did a biggest loser contest and I'm at around 185 right now.

I live at 750 ft elevation but I never have a problem until I get up around 9,000 feet. Mt Washington last year didn't both me at all. When I do my cardio I can get up to and keep my heart rate at 170 for an hour. Most people would say that's too high but I really don't feel a problem until I hit 185 or so.

weary
03-26-2011, 22:48
Being in good mental shape and being in good physical shape are not mutually exclusive. Best to have both things going for you!
True. But I've found that age has it's limitations. All the mind games in the world will not return me to age 36 when I first climbed Katahdin.

JokerJersey
03-26-2011, 23:01
I dropped from 270 to 220 over the last year in prep for my thru. I'm still not where I wanted to be, but I figure dropping 50 pounds was still a better way to go than cutting off the handle of my toothbrush to save on weight.

Egads
03-27-2011, 08:53
True. But I've found that age has it's limitations. All the mind games in the world will not return me to age 36 when I first climbed Katahdin.

This is a frustrating truth. I took a 20+ year hiatus from training and returned to hiking, running, & riding at the age of ~50 years. Now I'm a 52 year old mid pack runner & "B" group rider. I'm usually the loudest breather in the run / ride despite being in "good shape" for my age. I have noticed the body's limitations and inability to recover as quickly as it once did.

q-tip
03-27-2011, 10:49
Thanks All--Great Comments

Q-tip

AndyB
03-27-2011, 14:03
I'm kicking around the idea of a a LT E2E hike in 2012 and I'm getting in shape for it now. That trip will be too short to get me in shape so I'd better start that way. When I through hiked, my cardio was fine and I was in my early 20's. I was probably around 145 to start the trail though. As you might imagine it wasn't long before stuff wasn't fitting right and I was looking to reoutfit by Damascus. The worst part was for me was just bottoming out, no energy, I mean none. I fought that on and off for the 1st 2/3rds of the trail. for what ever reason and I'm assuming it was dietary, that was the hardest part for me. Loosing weight is good as long as you have the weight to lose. For smaller people it can be a fight to maintain a healthy skinny weight. I'll pay way more attention to what I'm eating next long hike and not just how much.

q-tip
03-27-2011, 15:38
I only lost 4 lbs on my 1,000 mi hike this fall. I ate my face off at towns and had a trail menu that worked to keep some of the weight on....

stranger
03-27-2011, 22:59
I completey agree with Garlic and Mags, physical preparation only makes a hike easier, and more enjoyable.

As for the mental aspect...nothing makes me feel better on the trail than knowing I can hike a 25 mile day, in most any conditions, in 9-11 hours without the risk of injury because I spent the time to get in good trail conditioning prior to starting.

That my friends is piece of mind.

Wanna go to Springer Mountain, or any mountiain, with a 40lb pack, 30lbs overweight and hike 8 mile days...that's great, there are many others just like you, but also realize you do not have to do that unless you want to.