PDA

View Full Version : Physical Training

q-tip
03-26-2011, 09:10
Hey All;

Just some thoughts... My first time on the AT I did 100 mi undertrained and overpacked.

The next 900 mi trip I did a training protocol from the book CLIMBING: TRAINING FOR PEAK PERFORMANCE. (Clyde Soles) It has a 3-month Alpine training schedule that works on strength, cardio, and endurance.

The most important addition to my training is a heart rate monitor. Not just good for training, but excellent for daily hill management on the AT. I knew if I stayed under my performance threshold (155 bpm) I could walk all day--hence- minimal standing 8 counts...

In addition, we talk alot about shedding weight from our gear. The easiest place to get rid of weight is on our bodies... For the AT last year I lost 23 Lbs on Weight Watchers in 2 months--basically got my base pack for FREE...

I am now training for a the CT in June. Way ahead of my training and already have lost 18 lbs with three months to go. I have another 15 to lose. I am getting all of the weight I am carrying including clothes worn -33 lbs- I am carrying for FREE!!!!!!.

Just some thoughts...
Best Wishes,

Q-tip