PDA

View Full Version : Night time read?

Mando12
03-26-2011, 09:18
I am new to the site and am starting to think about taking a serious walk in 2012. I've already learned a lot from the posts here--thanks!
A quick question--on a thru-hike, do many hikers carry something to read, and then light to read by?
I am thinking of all the opportunity to read, but wondering about the weight...

Thanks!
Papawhisky

garlic08
03-26-2011, 09:44
I used to carry a book, but no longer do that because of the weight and rain issues--one more thing to try to keep dry. I journal instead, usually by scribbling on the back of used maps. I also pack a few New York Times Sunday crosswords, and pick up more when I can from local newspapers. One piece of paper can keep my mind occupied for days, even sometimes while I'm hiking, and no loss if damaged. Some hikers like Sudoku and other puzzles. Some just sleep.

I carry a Petzl LED headlamp. Some carry nothing more than one of those little keychain lights.

BrianLe
03-26-2011, 11:59
Never carried a book. I have lots of books on my smartphone, but almost never read on the trail. The one time I might consider this is if hiking early or late season when daylight hours are limited, but even then it seems to me that there's enough to do at night. Like garlic, I journal, and depending on the trail spend more or less time looking ahead a bit to what's ahead the next day. If there are people around (which is particularly true on the AT, folks congregate at shelters) then I'd rather talk with others than isolate myself and read. I know that for some a book is a security thing of a sort, to ensure you're not bored --- that's often true for me too, but not on the trail. I suggest that you start your trip without reading material, and if after a few days that's driving you nuts, call home and have something mailed out to you.

swjohnsey
03-26-2011, 12:22
I carry paperbacks I buy at yard sales and such and read during breaks. I sleep at night.

ShelterLeopard
03-26-2011, 12:32
I am new to the site and am starting to think about taking a serious walk in 2012. I've already learned a lot from the posts here--thanks!
A quick question--on a thru-hike, do many hikers carry something to read, and then light to read by?
I am thinking of all the opportunity to read, but wondering about the weight...

Thanks!
Papawhisky

I almost always carry a book. Out of Hot Springs I carried three that I bought in town. Sometimes I carry literary magazines, and I'll just rip out the short stories that look interesting.

I read with my headlamp- I even read with my headlamp at home. I thought about bringing one of those tiny, fold-up book lights, but headlamp works just fine.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2011, 12:42
crossword puzzles

Roughin' It
03-26-2011, 12:47
i always had a book. read about 10 on the trail I think. I had a heavy duty ziploc type bag that was big enough to fit any size book. Ready every night laying in my hammock with my Petzl headlamp.

max patch
03-26-2011, 12:47
I always carried at least 2, and sometimes 3, paperback books.

WingedMonkey
03-26-2011, 12:48
Maps and guides.

:sun

Serial 07
03-26-2011, 13:21
i find magazines to be the preferred reading material for me...at night, i just want to read a couple of blurbs then go to sleep...plus, they are often laying around hostels and shelters...

Hikes in Rain
03-26-2011, 20:01
Also one who always has a book. Unavoidable weight, although I stick with paperbacks.

leaftye
03-26-2011, 20:45
Usually I'm too busy researching the next day and trying to memorize it all, planning for my next couple resupplies, and journaling.

I do bring a book in the winter when the nights are 13 hours long, but fortunately the nights are shorter during thru hiking season.

Croft
03-26-2011, 21:17
Carry one, not too thick, paperback and read when I take breaks if I'm solo. Journal in the evenings but only read for about five minutes--tends to put me to sleep. Use red lens on my headlamp if I'm in a shelter so I don't disturb anyone trying to sleep.

Trailbender
03-26-2011, 21:24
I carried a book on my thru, never regretted the extra weight. I had some pretty thick novels a few times as well.

Mountain Mike
03-26-2011, 21:25
Always carry a book. I hit used book store before I head out & throw at least one in any resupply box I send out.

fredmugs
03-26-2011, 21:30
IF you can keep it dry consider bring a Kindle. I plan on taking mone on my PCT hike next week. It weights less than one book and you can fill it up with lots of free stuff and anything you can get in PDF.

Right now I'm reading Teddy Roosevelt's book about the Rough Riders that I downloaded for free.

BTW - you need a headlamp whether you plan on reading at night or not.

10-K
03-26-2011, 21:34
IF you can keep it dry consider bring a Kindle. I plan on taking mone on my PCT hike next week. It weights less than one book and you can fill it up with lots of free stuff and anything you can get in PDF.

Right now I'm reading Teddy Roosevelt's book about the Rough Riders that I downloaded for free.

Man, I was just going to reply to this thread and recommend a Kindle. I just got one this past week and the thing is amazing. Weighs less than a paperback and I can get more on there than I'll read in years.

I'll probably leave it at home though on my upcoming BMT hike - I generally study maps and guides and do my planning rather than read books at night.

But, around here when I'm hiking familiar trails and only out for a day or two it's going to start going with me.

ShelterLeopard
03-26-2011, 23:57

Agree 100%. If you asked me which piece of gear was most important to me, I might actually say my headlamp.... (Pack comfort probably comes first.... but headlamp close after that.)

Tipper
03-27-2011, 10:58
Reading is an important part of my going-to-bed life. I bought super cheap, SMALL print novels and cut them apart so I was only carrying what I thought I could read over a few weeks. Then I had the next installments sent in resupply boxes. I also carried 5-cell Sudoku puzzles from our home paper.

ShelterLeopard
03-27-2011, 11:55
I carried Sudoku too- I love it!