PDA

View Full Version : David Lesser Memorial Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
09-04-2002, 19:02
Spent a lovely evening here in October 2001. The David Lesser Memorial Shelter (there was no indication as to who David Lesser was) is a clean, beautiful shelter with a lovely porch and skylight. There was a big Adirondack chair on the porch as well as seating along 2 sides of the porch. A separate, covered dining area also had a beautiful 2-person swinging chair that I sat on while filling out my trail log as the sun went down. Here's a picture that fails to do justice to this lovely shelter: http://www.jmclum.com/spring2000hike/050100c.jpg

The only drawback is that the spring is a good quarter-mile down the mountain (knowing this ahead of time, I brought down my 4-liter water bag to avoid a morning trip).

There's an overflow camping area below the shelter that looked fairly well used.

The hike north into Harpers Ferry was easy, quick and pleasant.

swift
05-18-2006, 20:58
Does anyone know what the history of the David Lesser Memorial Shelter is? I was asked tonight by a friend Who it was named for and the story that goes with the name. Any leads would be appreciated!

veteran
05-19-2006, 11:17
Contact the PATC on their forum.

http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html

CitronellaMan
05-13-2007, 22:24
Wonderful time here in Spring '06 on a section hike. There were (I think) 13 of us, and our group had the site to ourselves. We pulled in after a rough day (every day is rough on the rollercoaster) just ahead of some rain and, somehow, all of us managed to fit into the shelter confortable. Whoever David Lesser was, he must have been a great man for people to build a shelter like that in his name. Great picnic area off to the left if you're standing in the shelter. Only complaint is that water is a long, steep ways downhill. Tent sites on the hillside, too.

Country Roads
07-17-2010, 16:35
Stayed at this shelter in Sept 2008. Very nice shelter! Decent campsites, nice pavilion for cooking. The water is a long way down, but it is some of the best water you ever tasted! Cold and clear; all good.

A note in the register mentioned mice problem. I solved that problem by taking the sandwich bag of dog food someone had left :mad: and took it way out into the woods and dumped it. We had no mice that night, but one of my hiking buddies did watch a spider catch a cockroach.

This is a very nice shelter; I loved the deck.

Mrs Baggins
10-17-2010, 16:53
Just spent the night at the Lesser Shelter with 4 other ladies. Time to either replace that privy or at least repair it. No latch on the door and it hangs open. One of the ladies had to tell a guy to BACK AWAY FROM THE DOOR as he stood right there and watched her. I realize most maintenance/shelter crews are mostly men and men just don't seem to care who's watching - - we do care!!! Otherwise, the shelter is still a great place to stay (water is waaaaaaay too far away down that steep hill but oh well - it's not as bad as the Garvey shelter :eek:

excuses
10-17-2010, 22:03
I concur about your water remark. I had stayed at Garvey the night before DLesser. In June Lesser was full and I had to hammock in the tenting area which also filled up.

jlore
07-30-2012, 11:54
I know the water is a long way down hill, but has anyone been down there lately do verify that it is indeed running? My daughter and i r planning a trip to that shelter soon. Also I've heard of vandalism at keys gap in the past , does that still happen? Thanks for the updates!!!!!

Mike2012
07-30-2012, 12:36
I know the water is a long way down hill, but has anyone been down there lately do verify that it is indeed running? My daughter and i r planning a trip to that shelter soon. Also I've heard of vandalism at keys gap in the past , does that still happen? Thanks for the updates!!!!!

It had water as of last Wednesday July 25th evening. The walk down there was remarkable for its length and I almost needed my headlamp by the time I got back. One of the top five shelters of the first 1,010 miles of the Southern AT and one of the longest water walks as well. I'll definitely be returning if only to hang out on that porch swing! :D

Mrs Baggins
07-30-2012, 14:11
Stayed here again in June 2012. The water was somewhat of a problem as there was only one very small clear pool (I'm talking very small - like not big enough for two people to pump water at the same time) and two tiny and very murky pools. Mosquitoes were there in hordes. A big boy scout troop (had the impression it may have been 2 separate troops) had been down there ahead of us and told us that they had "dug out" a better pool but not that we could find, so I don't know where it was. The scouts took all but one tent site so 3 of the ladies I was with had to try to squeeze their tents on/next to that one site as they didn't want to sleep in the shelter. I stayed up in the shelter where there were only 2 other people - and one of those was a troop leader. The scouts completely took over the picnic table/fire pit/swing area for several hours in the evening and again in the morning, even put up hammocks next to the swing. As for the privy, the door seemed in a little better shape this time but it had huge hornets hanging out inside.

jlore
07-30-2012, 22:47
Thank you for the information

rickworr
08-05-2012, 13:12
Was just there on 8/2 - water was quoted as 0.25 downhill. Felt a bit longer, but the water was running nicely and two of us were able to pump from the same pool. Had lunch at Keys Gap (on 8/2 also), saw many cars parked there, but no vandalism. Although we spoke to a couple of other hikers who had been there the day before (8/1) and said that they met a local gentlemen who was enjoying a large bottle of adult beverage all by himself.

MDSection12
01-31-2013, 16:00
Any pertinent updates here?

Studlintsean
01-31-2013, 17:21
Are you planning on doing a section here soon? I need to do Blackburn to Wolfsville Rd and plan on doing it in the very near furture (once I can get my foster dog adopted).

MDSection12
01-31-2013, 17:23
I'm gonna do the 20 Northern-most miles of VA this weekend. I've already done MD so I figure it's time to work my way into VA and PA. :)

Studlintsean
01-31-2013, 17:38
Headed north or south? If heading north I'd recommend you stay the last night at the Blackburn trail center. There is a nice wood stove in the shelter which might be nice this weekend with the snow we might get. The care takers were nice when I was there a few months back. Then you could finish up heading north the 13 miles into HF. Wish I could join this weekend but unfortunately the fiance wouldn't be happy with the 3 dogs to her self again. Enjoy the hike though

Mrs Baggins
01-31-2013, 20:47
I would guess that after the rain we just had the stream/water source will be up and running heavy! :) The MD rivers and streams are going to hit flood stage this afternoon/evening. Snow is coming tonight into tomorrow - maybe an inch. Depends on where you are and the elevation.

MDSection12
01-31-2013, 21:46
Headed north or south? If heading north I'd recommend you stay the last night at the Blackburn trail center. There is a nice wood stove in the shelter which might be nice this weekend with the snow we might get. The care takers were nice when I was there a few months back. Then you could finish up heading north the 13 miles into HF. Wish I could join this weekend but unfortunately the fiance wouldn't be happy with the 3 dogs to her self again. Enjoy the hike though
I'll be going North. Waiting for my ride at a bar in Harper's Ferry is way too nice to pass up. I'm only out for one night and I'll be hammocking so I'd rather just hang at the shelter. Some day I'd like to check out Blackburn though. Thanks!

I would guess that after the rain we just had the stream/water source will be up and running heavy! :) The MD rivers and streams are going to hit flood stage this afternoon/evening. Snow is coming tonight into tomorrow - maybe an inch. Depends on where you are and the elevation.
Oh I see you're from Frederick, me too. The Monocacy is flooded like crazy right now! I don't anticipate issues with water. :)

I'll post back and report on the privy... Though I'm not surprised; Rocky Run's has no door at all.

Blissful
01-31-2013, 23:06
Water will be flowing everywhere that's for sure.

Don't use the water by the Dick's Dome cutoff, get it farther north at the spring

chknfngrs
09-19-2016, 15:00
Spring at David Lesser Memorial Shelter was a hoof, but the best spring I have used. Cold and clean from the mountain!