PDA

View Full Version : Trailhead vandalism

jbsbestfan
03-26-2011, 22:05
I am going to be backpacking sections 20, 21, and 22 in late July and was planning on leaving a car at the Eddiesville TH. Has anyone heard if whether or not car vandalism should be of any concern? I heard marmots chew on brakelines but nothing about people problems. Hoping this area is not like Carver Gap and 19E on the AT.

ChrisFol
04-01-2011, 20:40
I am going to be backpacking sections 20, 21, and 22 in late July and was planning on leaving a car at the Eddiesville TH. Has anyone heard if whether or not car vandalism should be of any concern? I heard marmots chew on brakelines but nothing about people problems. Hoping this area is not like Carver Gap and 19E on the AT.

Eddiesville TH is in a rather remote area-- in fact I believe it is about 2 hours to the nearest paved road, so usually only those interested in being there for legitimate reasons go due to the time it takes to get there. It is a very long drive for vandals.

I have been going for the last five years without incidence and my father-in-law and his friend have been backpacking that section of the CT for the past 20 odd years without a problem.

Mags
04-01-2011, 20:49
Hey there...

Left a reply to your comments/questions on my webpage. :)

In any case, ChrisFol summed it up pretty well. It is a remote trailhead. In my experience, I find most petty criminals are lazy people. Most people driving that far have no interest in breaking into a car.

Have fun on the trip!

jbsbestfan
04-14-2011, 22:39
Thanks Mags and Chris!

imscotty
12-11-2016, 11:25

bearcreek
12-11-2016, 21:51
The Marmots are your biggest issue. I've had good luck preventing Marmot damage by putting mothballs under the car and on the engine.

Fergi
01-17-2017, 16:40
Buddy lost 2 brake lines to marmots, devils love chewing on the rubber for some reason..

Greenlight
01-17-2017, 18:17
Marmots are antifreeze junkies. It's their absinthe. Google it, its hilarious.