PDA

View Full Version : When do I need boots?

flatfeet
03-26-2011, 22:42
I really very much want to wear some NB trail runners on this thru hike.
My pack fully loaded looks like it will come in at around 30-32 pounds.
Can I wear the runners or do I have to stick my flat feet in a pair of boots?
Enough support? I should add that my ankles are good. But my arches are
pretty low.

Cheers .

-c

RayBan
03-26-2011, 22:48
For the low arches: http://orthosole.com (customizable and a MUCH better fit/product/durable - IMO - than Superfeet, having used both AND others).

Have never found trail runners a problem. YMMV

BrianLe
03-27-2011, 02:56
I don't think that anyone can tell you what's best for you. I hiked the trail with trail runners last year and would do so again; that's not the same as saying that shoes would work well for you, however. A friend with more hiking experience than me did the PCT and CDT in shoes but advised me to use boots on the AT; I was glad that I didn't listen --- literally, each to their own on this sort of thing.

Try a shake down trip of some decent mileage with a similar pack weight and the shoes and see how they feel. And/or have (already broken-in) boots available to mail to yourself if you find the shoes don't work for you on the AT.

moldy
03-27-2011, 08:06
Many people hike the entire trail in trail runners every year.

Papa D
03-27-2011, 08:59
I hiked the whole trail in boots long ago (Danners), but for the last 10 years, all I wear is trail runners - I don't think boots stay any dryer than trail runners even with gobs of waterproofing - when they are wet, you just have heavy wet shoes vs light wet shoes - unless you are really big (i only weigh 150) I think that the extra "support" thing is way over-rated - i twist my ankles less by being more nimble. I do get wet socks sometimes, but just carry extra pairs. I have also found that people with boots are constantly getting blisters until they are REALLY broken-in. I almost never get blisters in my trail shoes.
my absolute favorites are the La Sportiva FC ECO 2.0 GTX - here is the link:

www.sportiva.com/products/prod/881

Papa D
03-27-2011, 09:04
I just did the CT section of the AT about a week ago in pretty substantial snow - I wore the trail runners that I mentioned with gaiters in snow up to 10" - especially around Sages Ravine and Bear Mtn. - they performed beautifully but there is a point in the winter where I do transition to boots - my boots are all leather Scarpa boots made in Italy - they are broken in and even though I prefer trail runner type shoes, they are good to go in the winter stuff

Blissful
03-27-2011, 09:17
You will need superfeet blue insoles in your runners (I have flat feet also). Other than that, you can go all the way in them (you'll need several pairs)

garlic08
03-27-2011, 10:16
Ditto what Blissful says. I also have low arches. I think the blue Superfeet helped provide some stiffness on the rocks. One set of insoles will last the entire AT and more, nearly 3000 miles for me.

Add me to the list of converted boot users. Switching to trail runners literally doubled my hiking ability. The last time I wore my boots on a snow climb/hike, my knees complained for weeks, so I just don't wear them any more. (I don't do as much snow climbing, either, but I've been surprised at what I can do with running shoes--ask any PCT hiker.) I keep a pair around for trail work and that's it.

fredmugs
03-27-2011, 10:23
I don't think that anyone can tell you what's best for you.

There's the correct answer.

I wear trail runners and superfeet insoles are no value added to me. I use Shockblocker insoles because they provide way more cushion.

ScottP
03-29-2011, 13:48
Trail runners or even normal running shoes are great. I won't go back to boots.

leaftye
03-29-2011, 14:11
You may get some plantar fascia soreness as your feet complain about not being strong enough, but I got that in boots before switching to trail running shoes. On the first day of my thru, I started wearing boots from the trailhead and then wore racing flats for a few miles while carrying a way-too-heavy pack. My feet felt better in those than they did in boots.

rsmout
03-29-2011, 14:38
Your feet are as unique as your personality, and the trail has multiple personalities. One type of shoe is not going to feel as good on one section of the trail as on another section. And given that your feet will be the most important gear in your kit, they deserve the best investment. Buy different kinds of boots and shoes (from stores with good return policies, like REI, LL Bean, and Cabelas) and wear them lightly around the house and on easy trail walks with a light pack. Use the socks you think you will wear. Consider shoe/boot sizes that are a 1/2 or whole size larger than your normal shoe size. Length is very important; there should be no contact between your toes and the toe box, even going downhill (tighten your laces before going down hill). If your toes are banging into the toe box, you will lose toenails. I'll be wearing boots in some places (alpine, rocks, and snow SOBO) and trail runners in other places (well-maintained trails, flat, boggy, and mud). I'll send dirty gear back home for cleaning and then get them back in mail drops when I need them again.

Tenderheart
03-29-2011, 18:19
If your arches are flat, then you will need trail runners with motion control. Most people with flat feet tend to over pronate. Roadrunnersports.com is a good reference for the three types of shoes: neutral, stability, and motion control. Inserts are of little value without the right shoe for your bio-mechanics.

litefoot 2000

litefoot 2000

RockDoc
03-29-2011, 19:35
Sorry to ask, but how big are you?

Size footwear proportional to the load carried.

How big are the tires on a Mack Truck?

kayak karl
03-29-2011, 19:40
January and February are not that good for trail runners, but everybody on WB said they would be OK. ??

leaftye
03-29-2011, 19:54
Sorry to ask, but how big are you?

Size footwear proportional to the load carried.

How big are the tires on a Mack Truck?

I don't believe that at all. I started the trail last year with what was probably a 60 pound pack and I was weighing in at at least 215 pounds. I brought along running flats for stream crossing and camp shoes, but on the first day I left them on for a few miles because they felt so much better than my shoes. I only took them off because I foolishly believed they'd hurt my feet or ankles. I should have left them on because 115 miles later I hurt my ankle wearing boots.

wrongway_08
03-29-2011, 19:54
I really very much want to wear some NB trail runners on this thru hike.
My pack fully loaded looks like it will come in at around 30-32 pounds.
Can I wear the runners or do I have to stick my flat feet in a pair of boots?
Enough support? I should add that my ankles are good. But my arches are
pretty low.

Cheers .

-c

You can add in some stick on womens dress shoe arch supports. They are clear, rubber. will give you the extra support you need and only cost about $7.00. Buy two pair and keep one with your bounce box.

I wore NB boots back in 2008 for a few miles, switched to NB trail runners and never hiked in boots the rest of the trip.
I added a pair of Super Feet to them and they felt great!

Just depends on you. NB makes boots again, I ordered a set months ago and have been really happy with them, they are light weight and stiff. I think of them as a great "winter sneaker" - they are light weight, great grip, flexible and keep the snow out!

RockDoc
03-29-2011, 21:23
Exception that proves the rule.
You had a huge load, and you hurt your ankles.
You clearly should have had stronger ankles, as well as boots.
The weak link in the chain is the one that broke.

Again, picture motorcycle tires on a Mack Truck.

In the real life (non-Web) world, there's a reason why they don't do things like that.

I don't believe that at all. I started the trail last year with what was probably a 60 pound pack and I was weighing in at at least 215 pounds. I brought along running flats for stream crossing and camp shoes, but on the first day I left them on for a few miles because they felt so much better than my shoes. I only took them off because I foolishly believed they'd hurt my feet or ankles. I should have left them on because 115 miles later I hurt my ankle wearing boots.

leaftye
03-29-2011, 21:51
Exception that proves the rule.
You had a huge load, and you hurt your ankles.
You clearly should have had stronger ankles, as well as boots.
The weak link in the chain is the one that broke.

Again, picture motorcycle tires on a Mack Truck.

In the real life (non-Web) world, there's a reason why they don't do things like that.

I agree that my ankles should have been stronger, but boots don't encourage strengthening and their mechanics promote injury because they're very on/off, which led to over extending my ankle many times. Even worse, their stiff soles don't allow the foot to mold to imperfections, instead it forces the ankle to turn. Also, the higher heel pad of boots transfer greater forces to the ankle, again, promoting injury. Trail running shoes punish the bottom of your feet if you try stepping on rocks instead of between them, and then allows the foot to absorb imperfections, which serves to protect the ankle.

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 17:01
Whatever you try, make sure you break them in and try them before you go for a few days or an overnight hike.