View Full Version : What do you think?

flatfeet
03-26-2011, 23:21
Big 3

REI FLASH 65
Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree
MSR Hubba

Clothes.

Patagona LW top and bottoms long underwear.
Wool power Mid weight long underwear
Exofficio boxer brief 1 pair.
Basketball shorts.
Berghaus tech shirt
Eider hiking pants.
3 pairs REI light hiking socks
Woolpower balaclava
Colombia baseball cap.
Kolping wind breaker fleece.
Dri Ducks top and bottom

NB 573 trail runners.

Petzel head lamp
Z lite sleeping pad.
Flint
Guide book
First aid with toothbrush
sunscreen
a few band aids
scissors
polysporin
Aspirin
50 feet bear bag paracord line

Camera
Trac phone and charger
Whitebox alcohol stove/wins screen
REI TI-ware pot.
lightweight pocket box cutter > oz.

3 L platypus
1 L Nalgene
Gatorade bottle

Haven't weighed it all out yet. but I imagine would come out to around 32lbs. Fully loaded.

Should I ditch the Woolpower MW long underwear? Too hot/heavy? Replace fleece with a synthetic insulation layer? Too many water bottles?

Input appreciated. See you on the trail.

moldy
03-27-2011, 08:27
They say we pack to our fears. Your fear is that you will get too cold in general and too cold at night. My opinion is that you have too much clothing and too much sleeping bag for 90% of the trail. Perhaps you might need this extra stuff in March and September. A 40 degree bag and a light fleece for a liner will be fine. What are you going to do with the flint? Fires are hard enough to start with a bic. The sun for 90% of the trail is above the tree canopy and you won't see much of it. The sun causes trouble in the Whites. This is just my opinion, you have obviously done your homework.

ScottP
03-29-2011, 13:59
When/where are you hiking?
What's your gear upgrading budget?

There are a lot of great ways to hike. I normally say that if your base weight is > 20 pounds for a 3 season long distance hike, then you might be doing something wrong. You can get as low as 5 (maybe lower with cuben fiber, if you're rich) comfortably for a 3 season hike, just so you know what's 'possible'.

Way too many layers. Four is overkill. I'd ditch the hiking pants, lightweight bottoms, and fleece jacket, and probably a few more items once you get comfortable. If you really feel like you need to be warm buy a 5 ounce Western Mountaineering down vest and you'll never be cold.

I'd get a new shelter if you're looking to cut weight. 6x10 silnylon tarp is a good solo shelter for 9 ounces and fairly cheap. zpacks makes better, lighter, and more expensive shelters.

Can ditch the nalgene and scissors

Can trim off parts of your zrest that you don't use.

flatfeet
03-31-2011, 00:21
Drop the midlayer gear. Sliced up the guide book. Dropped the Nalgene and the Platypus ans swapped in some gatorade and Aquafina bottles. Fully loaded with 4 days of food and 2 liters of H2o comes it all comes in at 27lbs.

Rocket Jones
03-31-2011, 06:27
Dropped the Nalgene and the Platypus ans swapped in some gatorade and Aquafina bottles.

Watch the weather for your planned hikes. I like to take a Nalgene when it's cold enough because it makes a great hot-water bottle at night. On warmer outings the heavy Nalgene stays home.

mountainboogey
03-31-2011, 22:44
I deff think you should replace your fleece with a synthetic insulated layer. I have the MH Zonal - its amazing. Approx 14oz and warmer than any 300wt fleece I ever owned.
Not only is it lighter, it packs smaller.

mountainboogey
03-31-2011, 22:46
also...if you are concerned about wind (I just noticed windstopper fleece) you can add a wind jacket, like marmot Ion or TNF. They usually weigh around 8-10oz. I travel a lot for work, and i always have one in my bag.