PDA

View Full Version : Pancho vs rain jacket

restlesss
03-27-2011, 09:25
I was thinking of swishing from rain gear to a pancho that would also double as a pack cover, I sweat so much when backpacking that the inside is normally wetter than the outside, I was thinking a pancho may vent more. Does anyone else use one and any suggestions on a good poncho, I have looked at polite panch tarp

Thanks

hikerhobs
03-27-2011, 09:57
I'm also thinking about going to a poncho/backpack cover. I saw one at campmor that comes in a regular and long lenghts at about 16.ozs for $25.00 dollars.

Duff
03-27-2011, 10:12
Packa!!!!! by Cedar Tree Do a web search. Huge pit vents and second-to-none construction. Made it through a SB AT thru and it still looks and works like new.

BigHodag
03-27-2011, 12:05
Carried a plastic discount store poncho I've had for years last year on my 2-week AT section hike. The trail is so well groomed and maintained that this year, I'm dropping the heavy plastic poncho in favor of 2 ultralight disposable ponchos (2 for $1 @ Dollar Tree). Hopefully, May 2011 will have more good weather than bad.

Papa D
03-27-2011, 12:32
The poncho over the backpack thing actually works really well - the only problem is that you are sort of this hulking monster walking down the trail and don't feel very nimble - this is why I stick with a rain jacket and pack cover - it's just my personal preference but i've seen it done very successfully

daddytwosticks
03-27-2011, 16:08
Papa D...I grab the two back corners of my poncho and bring them around in front of me at about belly/chest level and tie them together. This reduces the balloning effect and completely covers by pack. I sweat like crazy and love my sil-poncho's ventilation in the warmer months. :)

StubbleJumper
03-27-2011, 17:54
The ponchos work well and provide great ventilation, which is important during the warmer summer months. However, I have found that they are a pain when it's windy and you are on a peak. I have found that mine is a little long which results in my stepping on it when I'm climbing a steep portion of the trail.

I tend to not use rain gear if it's at all warm outside. Just too much hassle for too little benefit.

Tinker
03-27-2011, 17:59
Pancho?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancho_Villa
Close enough, I guess. :)
I have and use ponchos for raingear, but not when it's so warm that I'm sweating. I get wet from the rain instead. It's much more refreshing. A poncho is for those days between walking in the rain and letting it wash away the hiker funk and those days when it's cold enough to use a rain jacket.
Any poncho will do for raingear, but if you want one to use as a tarp, make sure that it has a pullout in the middle of each end (front and back) or it won't make a good "A" frame shelter.
Btw: here's a Poncho Villa: http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-poncho-villa.html
Silnylon is lighter and the coating (impregnation, really) will last longer than urethane coatings.

swjohnsey
03-27-2011, 18:43
Poncho won't keep you warm in hypothermia weather.

vamelungeon
03-27-2011, 19:52
GI nylon ponchos are heavy, but do have buttons on the sides that you can button up and prevent them blowing around in the wind, and have grommets so they can be used as a tarp.

Skidsteer
03-27-2011, 20:02

...Why not?

swjohnsey
03-27-2011, 20:40
Well, if you have legs they won't. The Driducks poncho has smaps and gromets just like a G.I. poncho.

Tipi Walter
03-27-2011, 22:52

There's some truth to this. I use my gtx rain jacket as a survival tool in the winter when it's 35F and raining or sleeting, not to stay dry but to stay warm. A poncho is a clumsy awkward piece of gear that has little arm protection and a skirt-like tendency to whip about in high winds. I used all sorts of ponchos over the years, the butt cheap BSA pvc ponchos that broke in two at 10F like a saltine cracker, military style with the snaps which turned into wet heavy sails, an old North Face anorak that had a zippered chest pocket and looked like a mini skirt with arms and quickly became a sauna. Now give me a good gtx pro shell dedicated rain jacket like Arcteryx and I'm satisfied.

Mountain Mike
03-28-2011, 05:17
Y consider all my clothing as a layer when it's cold. A jacket I can wear & still cook in easily. Keeps e much warmer than a poncho when cold.

Marta
03-28-2011, 06:40
For me a poncho is strictly summer gear. It's terrific for covering up during a summer thunder-pour, especially if it's a close storm and I want to hunker down for a while as the storm passes over.

During the other three seasons I need a jacket for keeping warm.

But...the poncho/jacket decision depends on how much you sweat. This past weekend we had a cold, damp hike from Max Patch to Hot Springs. My husband and I were actually comfortable hiking in rain gear. Our friend, though, who packs much more body weight than either of us, and who sweats quite a bit more, felt good wearing T-shirt and poncho.

chazmo
03-28-2011, 09:30
If your are into DIY, try this: http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resp320s/ParchoSeworBuyInfo.pdf

It works well for me.

Ender
03-28-2011, 09:39
Ditto what Marta said. It all depends on the conditions outside and time of year, and your own personal tolerance.

I generally use a poncho from mid-late spring through mid autumn, depending on temps outside. During the fringe seasons, I'll carry an extra warmth layer just in case it gets colder than expected.

A few tricks I did learn with the poncho if it does get a lot colder than expected...
- if it's not raining but just cold, put on the poncho and then put on your pack. That closes off the poncho pretty well from blowing around and holds in the heat better.
- if it is raining and cold, use your bear rope (or clothesline or whatever) to tie around your waist and cinch the poncho closer. Not as warm as putting it under your pack, but still better than it just blowing around in the wind, and your pack is still covered.
- Once in camp, there's enough room underneath a poncho to drape your sleeping bag over your shoulders to stay warm. You just have to be extra careful to keep your sleeping bag dry when doing this if it's raining.

Hope this helps!

For me a poncho is strictly summer gear. It's terrific for covering up during a summer thunder-pour, especially if it's a close storm and I want to hunker down for a while as the storm passes over.

During the other three seasons I need a jacket for keeping warm.

But...the poncho/jacket decision depends on how much you sweat. This past weekend we had a cold, damp hike from Max Patch to Hot Springs. My husband and I were actually comfortable hiking in rain gear. Our friend, though, who packs much more body weight than either of us, and who sweats quite a bit more, felt good wearing T-shirt and poncho.