PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Obi 2p vs Easton Kilo tents

ChinMusic
03-27-2011, 13:19
I was wanting a light 2p, free-standing, two-wall tent to take my daughter on some trips. I usually go with single-wall tents but for trips out west I like the option of just having mesh above so we can watch the sky if the bugs are out. Also some of the places are pretty rocky, so being free standing makes it easier to set-up. I don't currently have a free-standing tent and had often wished I had had one when I was fighting getting a good pitch in rocky areas.

I was sold on the Easton Kilo until I saw the Nemo Obi 2p. I didn't like the front entrance of the Kilo. The Obi has two doors with two vestibules. I would envision the single, front door on the Kilo to be cumbersome for two people. The Kilo has a VERY small vestibule while the Obi seems to have plenty of room for our packs.

Also the Obi seems to be "more" free standing as the Kilo requires staking for full interior space. The Opi seems to have its full interior without stakes. I could see trying to rock-out the front corners to be a problem with the Kilo. Weight-wise the Kilo is the winner by half a pound.

Setting up in the rain: The Kilo has to have the inner tent set up first. You cannot set up the fly and then the inner later. I can not tell if the Obi has the fly-first option.

Either one would make a nice solo-palace option too.

Comments?

Nemo Obi 2p:
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/specs/s-obi2p.png
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/13210-2.jpghttps://www.nemoequipment.com/images/13210-1.jpg

Easton Kilo:
Kilo Tent Specifications

Trail Weight (ASTM Min. Std. Weight)2.25 lbs / 1 kg
Packaged Weight2.58 lbs / 1.17 kg
CapacityTwo Person
Stuffed Size22in X 5in
Canopy Fabric20D lightweight nylon no-see-um mesh
Fly Fabric20D nylon ripstop, Sil/PU 1500mm
Floor Fabric30D nylon ripstop, PU 5000mm
Head Height39 in / 91.1cm
PolesCarbon ION™ with AirLock™ connection system, two-pole design
Doors One
Floor Area26 sq ft / 2.4 sq m
Vestibule Area6 sq ft / .56 sq m
http://www.eastonmountainproducts.com/img/tent/kilo-no-fly.jpghttp://www.eastonmountainproducts.com/img/tent/kilo.jpg

tuswm
03-27-2011, 14:32
I think the nemo looks better, more free standing and easier to get in and out.

leaftye
03-27-2011, 14:57
The Nemo is 3/4ths of a pound heavier and has slightly less floor space. On paper. The Kilo performs better on paper than in real life from what I've seen so far as far as dimensions go. I haven't looked into the Nemo to know if the same is true. The Nemo is an inch taller, but both of these tents are taller where it counts, that is in the middle slightly towards the head, which means the room is where I need it when I need to fill my piss bottle on a cold wet night. It looks like the Nemo has a couple pre-bent pole sections. The Kilo has that too. I don't like that because it makes it more unwieldy when packed up.

So...

If I could split the weight, I would opt for the Nemo. If I had to carry the entire thing, I would go for the Kilo. It's close though.

ChinMusic
03-27-2011, 15:16
I just talked to a buddy of mine who, surprisingly, (well, not if you knew him), has BOTH of these tents.

He was really high on the Kilo at first but sees some issues with it in the field. He thinks the 2-pole design of the Kilo does not hold up in the wind nearly as well as the Obi and its 3-pole system. He thinks the poles on the Kilo flex too much under stress as well making the Obi more storm resistant, based on number of poles and material (carbon vs ???). On a minor issue, the zipper on the door of the Kilo feels weak. He agrees that the Obi has much better free-standing characteristics, not requiring staking for full interior space.

Setting up in the rain: He says the Obi CAN be set up fly first but the Kilo cannot. The Obi can function just fine, as sort of a tarp, without the mesh tent

mykl
03-27-2011, 19:04
I think your friend answered your Q. I like the idea of the Kilo, but it looks to taper down to much leaving the end very low at your feet. I do like the idea and look of it.
The Obi reminds me of a side entry Nemo Espri.

Tinker
03-27-2011, 19:40
The Nemo looks like this: http://www.rei.com/product/734065 with a side entrance, which I like.
The Kilo looks like it would fold up in a stiff wind.

ChinMusic
03-29-2011, 13:41
Ordered the Nemo Obi 2p today with REI points today (20% discount was nice too). I'll try to update this thread with a review once I get it.

Creek Dancer
03-29-2011, 14:12
hmmmmmmmm....lemme guess who that might be!

I just talked to a buddy of mine who, surprisingly, (well, not if you knew him), has BOTH of these tents.

He was really high on the Kilo at first but sees some issues with it in the field. He thinks the 2-pole design of the Kilo does not hold up in the wind nearly as well as the Obi and its 3-pole system. He thinks the poles on the Kilo flex too much under stress as well making the Obi more storm resistant, based on number of poles and material (carbon vs ???). On a minor issue, the zipper on the door of the Kilo feels weak. He agrees that the Obi has much better free-standing characteristics, not requiring staking for full interior space.

Setting up in the rain: He says the Obi CAN be set up fly first but the Kilo cannot. The Obi can function just fine, as sort of a tarp, without the mesh tent

ChinMusic
03-29-2011, 16:09
hmmmmmmmm....lemme guess who that might be!
YOU, only get ONE guess..............;)

These two tents JUST came out and he has BOTH of em. Maybe there is a TV show waiting for him........."Gear Horders"

Creek Dancer
03-29-2011, 16:25
Once, just once before I die I would like to roam around the mecca of his gear room.

I think his wife should get a special star in hiker heaven!

YOU, only get ONE guess..............;)

These two tents JUST came out and he has BOTH of em. Maybe there is a TV show waiting for him........."Gear Horders"

ChinMusic
04-02-2011, 15:39
Got the Nemo Opi 2p yesterday and have it set up in my family room now. I've never had a true free-standing tent before so setting a tent up in the house was a first. The setup is VERY intuitive and quick. I can't see any issues but I haven't had it in the field yet. It comes seam-sealed so it's ready to go right out of the bag. The stuff sack seems a bit overkill. I will prob only take the pole and stake bags and leave the stuff sack at home. I usu pack my tent in the back mesh pocket of my ULA anyway.

The only concern I can see at this point are the Jake's Foot connectors in the four corners that accept the pole and fly connections. I have read that several other tent manufacturers use these. I have done a search on the net and found no links to failures, but if one of these babies breaks it could be trouble. Maybe these things don't break, I don't know. I have found (YouTube) that replacing a Jake's Foot in the field is fairly easy. I would think it prudent to carry (near zero weight) an extra for some security. Nemo does not send an extra but IMO that would be a simple, inexpensive addition to the kit.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/images/pstp12.jpg

Link to DAC Jake's Foot: http://www.dacpole.com/html/jakes_foot_new.htm

Video on how to attach a Jake's Foot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hNYk926Dg

FamilyGuy
04-02-2011, 17:22
How is the usable length in the Nemo?

Where are the pics??!!

Franco
04-02-2011, 18:28
A bit of tent trivia...
The Jake of "Jake's foot" is Jake Lah, founder of DAC poles.
Franco

ChinMusic
04-02-2011, 18:51
How is the usable length in the Nemo?

Where are the pics??!!
IMO, the entire interior space is usable. Virtually nothing is lost head to toe on length. The sides have a mild loss if a middle stake is not used. The outside at the feet will prob touch the bag at some point in the night, as the slope of the sides and end come into play, but it's not bad. I think the Nemo toe area is far superior to the Easton Kilo.

I'm 5'10' and wouldn't want the, listed 84", length to be any shorter. I have not had a chance to guy out the head, but I would think the length to be problematic for individuals over 6'2". Width-wise it's what you would expect from a light-weight, 2-person tent. It's not a palace. Once you get two people in there, that is about it. I have not tested it yet but I suspect two regular-length pads will fit fine in the toe area.

I'll post some pics once I take it outside and can stake it out. The wife drew the line on stakes when setting it up inside.

FamilyGuy
04-02-2011, 21:04
The wife drew the line on stakes when setting it up inside.

No doubt. :D

Limeman
04-07-2011, 20:11
Hey Guys,

I also picked up a Nemo Obi 2P at REI with my 20% off and dividend. Here are my thoughts after setup in the backyard.

It is light at 2lbs, 14.8oz for tent, fly and poles. Nice over-all design, but it is SMALL. Nemo says 27sq feet and I'd say that is being generous. I set it up in the backyard and laid in it with my 5 1/2 year-old daughter, and honestly there just isn't much shoulder room, even while lying down. Two adults would really be pushing it, and they better be comfortable with snuggling. For reference, I'm 5'9" tall with an athletic but lean build. I wear size Medium in shirts. My daughter is 48lbs and normal height for a kindergartener. Head room in the Obi is acceptable in the front by the doors, but even with a bunch of fancy canting in the mesh walls, the tent body still narrows considerably as you move towards the back, and the floor tapers such that two 20" sleeping pads nearly over-lap at the foot of the tent and incredibly, have only a few inches of clearance at the head of the tent as well. There are clips on the fly that attach to the tent just behind the doors to help increase the internal volume at about shoulder level while you are seated. They help, but the tent is still on the narrow side. The vestibules are also very small, just big enough for a pair of boots and a weekend backpack. Good thing you get two of them! I guess space is the bane of all uber lightweight tents, and Nemo unfortunately did not buck this trend. Really I'd call this a 1+ at best, not a 2P.

Nemo did manage to include one side pocket and their light defusing material into a ceiling pocket so that, according to Nemo, "your headlamp can nicely light your tent". Doesn't really do much from what I could tell during a nighttime test, but doesn't add any weight either. There are also several attachment points inside to hang an optional gear attic (1.2 oz) and corner snaps to accept their optional paw print (12 oz) which is a fleece-like floor insert to keep your tent clean if you have pets or messy tent mates. I suppose it might also provide some level of comfort on hard ground and possibly help keep the floor warm in cold weather. Not sure.

The following is all IMHO, and not based on actual field use, but I believe to be accurate:

1. The fly utilizes the now characteristic Nemo design of cutting away portions to save weight. This is fine, but with the Obi 2P, the cutout is too high in the corners at the head of the tent, thus allowing for a nearly 1.5" gap on each side that leaves the vestibules open to the elements at the bottom corners. This might be good for ventilation, but in a bad storm with sideways rain, I'm certain the vestibule area will be compromised. Unfortunately, this area is next to the doors of the tent/fly, so be prepared for a muddy entrance/exit in foul weather.

2. The Fly doors are designed such that they allow for rain to easily drain into the tent when open. That, along with the Fly gap mentioned above, will make for a messy experience when entering and exiting the tent in bad weather.

3. The Vents utilize dual-zippers of the fly door and a Velcro leg to provide unlimited adjustment for ventilation. While really neat in concept, the design also suffers from the same issue: a direct pathway for rain to enter into the tent when open, and during a bad storm, when additional ventilation will be needed most, you would almost certainly need to keep them nearly fully shut, thus negating their intended purpose. For fair weather, they are pretty slick.

4. The face of the tent has one guyline attachment in the top center that is designed to connect to a clip on the fly which is held taut when staked out. The issue here is that the connection point is high up on the tent wall, above the bottom of the fly. While it does keep the higher portion of the tent wall taut, the majority of this tent panel remains very susceptible to flapping and bowing in moderate to high winds. Thus in high winds the wall will press against your head while you sleep. There is no way to stop this from happening. And with an already tiny interior, this just seems like glaring flaw Nemo's part. How much weight could it have cost, both in dollars to the consumer and in weight to put a guy line tab on the Nemo Logo that is stitched onto the bottom 3rd portion of the tent - like Nemo did with the Meta 1 and 2? Nothing that I can perceive, but it would seriously help with this glaring oversight.

5. Most tents (even light-weight ones) have Velcro connection tabs on the fly at each of the guy line attachment points to wrap around the poles. Not only does this help keep the tent/fly/poles structurally unified in windy weather when the guylines are utilized, but it also helps keep the fly centered on the poles for easier adjustment and setup. The Obi 2p? Just one, at the foot of the tent. Come on guys! Again, how much could it have possibly cost to add just two more Velcro attachments on the two remaining guy line loops on the front of the fly? This is really a silly omission in my mind and a possible serious compromise in windy conditions.

6. The Jake's Foot setup is pretty slick in that it allows all components (Tent, Fly and Footprint) to function as a single unit. When you tighten up the fly, the Jake's Foot literally bends and pulls the tent body down and out, thus assuring for a really tight pitch and flat floor, making the best of the small internal volume. The fly and foot print can be removed from the Jake's Foot while the tent is still staked down. They clearly offer a mechanical advantage, and are most likely critical to helping the Obi get a good pitch, but in all honesty, there is something in the back of my mind that says "these are going to break in the field and then I'm screwed" as opposed to good old grommets. Time will tell.

7. Oh... and for the idea of setting up the fly first, and then the tent body: Not gonna happen without some serious gymnastics. The issue is with the Jake's Feet. They are not connected to the tent with quick releases, so they cannot be quickly removed to allow for pitching the fly/footprint before the tent. You would have to unthread them first, attach the footprint to each corner, stake it out and then install the poles. Once that is completed, you can pitch the fly, go under it, thread the tent back onto the Jake's feet, then try your best to attach the clips of the tent underneath the tension of the fly against the poles. Honestly, it really wouldn't be worth it. Better to just rapidly set up the tent as normal, then pull on the fly. Again, just IMHO.

Anyway... after all this complaining (really Nemo, I love your stuff, and I want to love the Obi 2P, but I'm frustrated because you almost nailed it with this one, but missed some important details. Yes, the Obi 2P is a nice tent that is easy to set up, is constructed of excellent materials, looks great, has some nice interior features, has a taut pitch and is very light for a double-wall. But I'm torn. I was honestly hoping for more internal volume than it offers and its poor weather performance is highly suspect. Backpacker magazine says it did great in bad weather, but do we really trust their reviews anymore? I will say, in BP Mag's defense, that they did complain about the fly dumping water into the tent during rainfall and about its cramped accommodations. I agree with those findings.

My bottom line: If you want a really light-weight double-wall tent that looks really cool, you plan to travel alone (or with a snuggle buddy), don't expect much inclement weather, and like a fancy design (function be damned), then the Obi series of tents is for you. Will I be keeping mine? Ummm... Don't ask me. Let's just say I think it is a pretty cool tent!

Limeman
04-07-2011, 20:19
Hey Guys,

I also picked up a Nemo Obi 2P at REI with my 20% off and dividend. Here are my thoughts after setup in the backyard.

It is light at 2lbs, 14.8oz for tent, fly and poles. Nice over-all design, but it is SMALL. Nemo says 27sq feet and I'd say that is being generous. I set it up in the backyard and laid in it with my 5 1/2 year-old daughter, and honestly there just isn't much shoulder room, even while lying down. Two adults would really be pushing it, and they better be comfortable with snuggling. For reference, I'm 5'9" tall with an athletic but lean build. I wear size Medium in shirts. My daughter is 48lbs and normal height for a kindergartener. Head room in the Obi is acceptable in the front by the doors, but even with a bunch of fancy canting in the mesh walls, the tent body still narrows considerably as you move towards the back, and the floor tapers such that two 20" sleeping pads nearly over-lap at the foot of the tent and incredibly, have only a few inches of clearance at the head of the tent as well. There are clips on the fly that attach to the tent just behind the doors to help increase the internal volume at about shoulder level while you are seated. They help, but the tent is still on the narrow side. The vestibules are also very small, just big enough for a pair of boots and a weekend backpack. Good thing you get two of them! I guess space is the bane of all uber lightweight tents, and Nemo unfortunately did not buck this trend. Really I'd call this a 1+ at best, not a 2P.

Nemo did manage to include one side pocket and their light defusing material into a ceiling pocket so that, according to Nemo, "your headlamp can nicely light your tent". Doesn't really do much from what I could tell during a nighttime test, but doesn't add any weight either. There are also several attachment points inside to hang an optional gear attic (1.2 oz) and corner snaps to accept their optional paw print (12 oz) which is a fleece-like floor insert to keep your tent clean if you have pets or messy tent mates. I suppose it might also provide some level of comfort on hard ground and possibly help keep the floor warm in cold weather. Not sure.

The following is all IMHO, and not based on actual field use, but I believe to be accurate:

1. The fly utilizes the now characteristic Nemo design of cutting away portions to save weight. This is fine, but with the Obi 2P, the cutout is too high in the corners at the head of the tent, thus allowing for a nearly 1.5" gap on each side that leaves the vestibules open to the elements at the bottom corners. This might be good for ventilation, but in a bad storm with sideways rain, I'm certain the vestibule area will be compromised. Unfortunately, this area is next to the doors of the tent/fly, so be prepared for a muddy entrance/exit in foul weather.

2. The Fly doors are designed such that they allow for rain to easily drain into the tent when open. That, along with the Fly gap mentioned above, will make for a messy experience when entering and exiting the tent in bad weather.

3. The Vents utilize dual-zippers of the fly door and a Velcro leg to provide unlimited adjustment for ventilation. While really neat in concept, the design also suffers from the same issue: a direct pathway for rain to enter into the tent when open, and during a bad storm, when additional ventilation will be needed most, you would almost certainly need to keep them nearly fully shut, thus negating their intended purpose. For fair weather, they are pretty slick.

4. The face of the tent has one guyline attachment in the top center that is designed to connect to a clip on the fly which is held taut when staked out. The issue here is that the connection point is high up on the tent wall, above the bottom of the fly. While it does keep the higher portion of the tent wall taut, the majority of this tent panel remains very susceptible to flapping and bowing in moderate to high winds. Thus in high winds the wall will press against your head while you sleep. There is no way to stop this from happening. And with an already tiny interior, this just seems like glaring flaw Nemo's part. How much weight could it have cost, both in dollars to the consumer and in weight to put a guy line tab on the Nemo Logo that is stitched onto the bottom 3rd portion of the tent - like Nemo did with the Meta 1 and 2? Nothing that I can perceive, but it would seriously help with this glaring oversight.

5. Most tents (even light-weight ones) have Velcro connection tabs on the fly at each of the guy line attachment points to wrap around the poles. Not only does this help keep the tent/fly/poles structurally unified in windy weather when the guylines are utilized, but it also helps keep the fly centered on the poles for easier adjustment and setup. The Obi 2p? Just one, at the foot of the tent. Come on guys! Again, how much could it have possibly cost to add just two more Velcro attachments on the two remaining guy line loops on the front of the fly? This is really a silly omission in my mind and a possible serious compromise in windy conditions.

6. The Jake's Foot setup is pretty slick in that it allows all components (Tent, Fly and Footprint) to function as a single unit. When you tighten up the fly, the Jake's Foot literally bends and pulls the tent body down and out, thus assuring for a really tight pitch and flat floor, making the best of the small internal volume. The fly and foot print can be removed from the Jake's Foot while the tent is still staked down. They clearly offer a mechanical advantage, and are most likely critical to helping the Obi get a good pitch, but in all honesty, there is something in the back of my mind that says "these are going to break in the field and then I'm screwed" as opposed to good old grommets. Time will tell.

7. Oh... and for the idea of setting up the fly first, and then the tent body: Not gonna happen without some serious gymnastics. The issue is with the Jake's Feet. They are not connected to the tent with quick releases, so they cannot be quickly removed to allow for pitching the fly/footprint before the tent. You would have to unthread them first, attach the footprint to each corner, stake it out and then install the poles. Once that is completed, you can pitch the fly, go under it, thread the tent back onto the Jake's feet, then try your best to attach the clips of the tent underneath the tension of the fly against the poles. Honestly, it really wouldn't be worth it. Better to just rapidly set up the tent as normal, then pull on the fly. Again, just IMHO.

Anyway... after all this complaining (really Nemo, I love your stuff, and I want to love the Obi 2P, but I'm frustrated because you almost nailed it with this one, but missed some important details). Yes, the Obi 2P is a nice tent that is easy to set up, is constructed of excellent materials, looks great, has some nice interior features, has a taut pitch and is very light for a double-wall. But I'm torn. I was honestly hoping for more internal volume than it offers and its poor weather performance is highly suspect. Backpacker magazine says it did great in bad weather, but do we really trust their reviews anymore? I will say, in BP Mag's defense, that they did complain about the fly dumping water into the tent during rainfall and about its cramped accommodations. I agree with those findings.

My bottom line: If you want a really light-weight double-wall tent that looks really cool, you have money to burn, you plan to travel alone (or with a snuggle buddy), don't expect much inclement weather, and like a fancy design (function be damned), then the Obi series of tents is for you. Will I be keeping mine? Ummm... Don't ask me. Let's just say I think it is a pretty nifty tent!

Limeman
04-07-2011, 20:21
Sorry guys.. the review got posted twice. I don't know how to remove the second one. Can the monitor remove it please?

ChinMusic
04-07-2011, 21:02
Still haven't set mine up outside yet. Just from my setup in the living room I don't think the vestibule is compromised by the fly being cutout. I can see a bit getting in there under perfect conditions but it looks OK to me.

More later.

edit: Had to go blow up two 20" pads out of concern. IMO, not a problem. At the feet the pads touch but do NOT overlap. At the head they have at least 3" of separation. I was looking for a minimal 2P tent and not a 2P palace. I will consider it a 1P palace for times I want a free-standing tent on a solo trip.

I don't agree with his initial concern over storm worthiness. It looks solid to me. I do agree with Lineman's points about flapping potential. There will be a tendency for the tent to flap near your head. I would think a stuff sack with some clothes (pillow) would keep this from being a bother. I've had other tents with some flapping and lived.

Limeman
04-07-2011, 23:20
Hmmm... I'm wondering if my Obi is on the smallish side? Here are the specs from Nemo vs. actual measurements for mine.

Nemo Obi 2P Floor plan Specs:

Length - 84”
Width - 50”
Height - 40”

My measured Obi 2P Floor Plan Specs:

Length - 80" center to center
Width - 48" at the very top corners of tent, 45" at the "head-zone", 40" from mid-way to the foot of tent.
Height - 38" at the peak.

I am used to manufacturers fudging specs, but my Nemo Meta 1P was spot on, so I assumed, based on that experience, that the Obi's specs would be as well. Maybe mine is a dwarf version? :p

I didn't notice the gap between the Fly and the front bottom corners of the tent until I set it up outside with stakes, fully cinched down. Wonder if you'll find the same? You can see the gap in the pictures I attached.

I agree that a stuffed sack or pillow would help with the problem of the tent pushing against your head in windy conditoins. Maybe it is just me, but at nearly $400, I didn't expect to have to rely on such a solution with this tent, especially when a 20-cent guy line loop would have would have eliminated the need altogether. Regardless, yours is a good, practical solution for the problem. :)

I hope to take mine out in a week or so. If you get yours out sooner, please report on your in-field results, especially if there is bad weather.

Post some pix or your Obi too if you can!

ChinMusic
04-07-2011, 23:31
Take a look at my opening post. It shows the width at 42". I don't know what would be 50".
40+ish is all one needs to keep standard pads from overlapping. I agree it is tight, but that is the design for weight savings. I agree on the tie-out although, I not big on wanting to stake out every "little thing". That starts to add up.

Regarding the fly-first set-up with the Jake's Foot being on the tent body: I think adding a grommet to the end of the tension strap of the fly would solve everything. One could use that grommet as a temp, set up the fly tight, go inside, set up the body and swap the pole over to the Jake's Foot at that time. I may play around with that idea on my own.......

If Nemo goes with that idea I want it to be called the "Chin grommet".........:D

will1972
04-08-2011, 00:23
Hey Guys,

Anyway... after all this complaining (really Nemo, I love your stuff, and I want to love the Obi 2P, but I'm frustrated because you almost nailed it with this one, but missed some important details). Yes, the Obi 2P is a nice tent that is easy to set up, is constructed of excellent materials, looks great, has some nice interior features, has a taut pitch and is very light for a double-wall. But I'm torn. I was honestly hoping for more internal volume than it offers and its poor weather performance is highly suspect. Backpacker magazine says it did great in bad weather, but do we really trust their reviews anymore? I will say, in BP Mag's defense, that they did complain about the fly dumping water into the tent during rainfall and about its cramped accommodations. I agree with those findings.

My bottom line: If you want a really light-weight double-wall tent that looks really cool, you have money to burn, you plan to travel alone (or with a snuggle buddy), don't expect much inclement weather, and like a fancy design (function be damned), then the Obi series of tents is for you. Will I be keeping mine? Ummm... Don't ask me. Let's just say I think it is a pretty nifty tent!
Thanks, Limeman, That is exactly the kind of review that everyone needs to make an informed decision. This let's me know that this is not even a tent for me to consider. I value function and durability over anything else. Thanks again for a honest opinion.

patricejustin
04-08-2011, 14:43
Thanks everyone for their feedback, especially Limeman. We are really torn between the Obi or Big Agnes Cooper Spur, which also has the two vestibules. We were really hoping one of the REI or other stores would get an Obi in stock so we could set it up and compare, but no dice. And with our 20% coupon expiring this weekend, we'll just have to make a decision based on what we know ...

ChinMusic
04-08-2011, 16:58
Thanks everyone for their feedback, especially Limeman. We are really torn between the Obi or Big Agnes Cooper Spur, which also has the two vestibules. We were really hoping one of the REI or other stores would get an Obi in stock so we could set it up and compare, but no dice. And with our 20% coupon expiring this weekend, we'll just have to make a decision based on what we know ...
Sorry that I still haven't taken it outside. I do think I am going to disagree with Lineman on several points but want to wait until I stake it out and turn my leaf blower on it, before commenting.

I know that doesn't do you any good with regards to the 20%.

ChinMusic
04-08-2011, 20:26
OK, just set it up outside and attacked it with my leaf blower. No pics as it's starting to dark.

Comments in red to compare with Lineman:

Originally Posted by Limeman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1142083#post1142083)
Hey Guys,

It is light at 2lbs, 14.8oz for tent, fly and poles. Nice over-all design, but it is SMALL. Nemo says 27sq feet and I'd say that is being generous. (I calculate 27sq feet to be dead accurate) I set it up in the backyard and laid in it with my 5 1/2 year-old daughter, and honestly there just isn't much shoulder room, even while lying down. Two adults would really be pushing it, and they better be comfortable with snuggling. For reference, I'm 5'9" tall with an athletic but lean build. I wear size Medium in shirts. My daughter is 48lbs and normal height for a kindergartener. Head room in the Obi is acceptable in the front by the doors, but even with a bunch of fancy canting in the mesh walls, the tent body still narrows considerably as you move towards the back, and the floor tapers such that two 20" sleeping pads nearly over-lap at the foot of the tent and incredibly, have only a few inches of clearance at the head of the tent as well. (Like I added before, the interior space is exactly as advertised. Once I staked it out for full effect, there is about an inch between the 20" pads at the feet and about 8" near the head) There are clips on the fly that attach to the tent just behind the doors to help increase the internal volume at about shoulder level while you are seated. They help, but the tent is still on the narrow side. The vestibules are also very small, just big enough for a pair of boots and a weekend backpack. ( the vestibules are generous, easily holding a pack and boots. Heck a short person could sleep in there.) Good thing you get two of them! I guess space is the bane of all uber lightweight tents, and Nemo unfortunately did not buck this trend. Really I'd call this a 1+ at best, not a 2P. (The Nemo is designed as a light weight 2P tent with no wasted space. It is just that. It is not advertised as a palace.)

1. The fly utilizes the now characteristic Nemo design of cutting away portions to save weight. This is fine, but with the Obi 2P, the cutout is too high in the corners at the head of the tent, thus allowing for a nearly 1.5" gap on each side that leaves the vestibules open to the elements at the bottom corners. This might be good for ventilation, but in a bad storm with sideways rain, I'm certain the vestibule area will be compromised. Unfortunately, this area is next to the doors of the tent/fly, so be prepared for a muddy entrance/exit in foul weather. (IMO the cutouts are just fine. Rain is no more likely to get in from that angle as it is to get under the fly. It is nothing to be concerned with.)

2. The Fly doors are designed such that they allow for rain to easily drain into the tent when open. That, along with the Fly gap mentioned above, will make for a messy experience when entering and exiting the tent in bad weather. (close the fly in bad weather. Who leaves it open?)

3. The Vents utilize dual-zippers of the fly door and a Velcro leg to provide unlimited adjustment for ventilation. While really neat in concept, the design also suffers from the same issue: a direct pathway for rain to enter into the tent when open, and during a bad storm, when additional ventilation will be needed most (when needed most? Come on, in heavy winds the flap is EASY to close and can be done while IN the tent. You don't need the flap to be open in windy conditions, as you will get ventilation from around the sides. Just close it and only have it open in moderate to less winds. IMO, it is a near perfect design), you would almost certainly need to keep them nearly fully shut, thus negating their intended purpose. For fair weather, they are pretty slick.

4. The face of the tent has one guyline attachment in the top center that is designed to connect to a clip on the fly which is held taut when staked out. The issue here is that the connection point is high up on the tent wall, above the bottom of the fly. While it does keep the higher portion of the tent wall taut, the majority of this tent panel remains very susceptible to flapping and bowing in moderate to high winds. Thus in high winds the wall will press against your head while you sleep. (on this item we agree, but IMO there just needs to be an additional tent stake and NOT another guy. I have held this area down with my hands and created desired tension.) There is no way to stop this from happening. (sure there is, a stuff sack acting as a pillow does the trick, but again, I agree, another stake would be nice.) (edit: note on next post that I took this back. I now do not think there is a need for an additional stake of guy in the head) And with an already tiny interior, this just seems like glaring flaw Nemo's part. How much weight could it have cost, both in dollars to the consumer and in weight to put a guy line tab on the Nemo Logo that is stitched onto the bottom 3rd portion of the tent - like Nemo did with the Meta 1 and 2? Nothing that I can perceive, but it would seriously help with this glaring oversight. (again, I would want a stake in the middle and not a guy.)

5. Most tents (even light-weight ones) have Velcro connection tabs on the fly at each of the guy line attachment points to wrap around the poles. Not only does this help keep the tent/fly/poles structurally unified in windy weather when the guylines are utilized, but it also helps keep the fly centered on the poles for easier adjustment and setup. The Obi 2p? Just one, at the foot of the tent. Come on guys! Again, how much could it have possibly cost to add just two more Velcro attachments on the two remaining guy line loops on the front of the fly? This is really a silly omission in my mind and a possible serious compromise in windy conditions. (I totally disagree with more Velcro loops being needed. One does the trick just perfectly, in giving you some security when setting up. One the tent is set up you don't even need the one that is there. More than one is overkill. Once the tent is set up it is tight and even my leaf blower cannot shift anything.)

6. The Jake's Foot setup is pretty slick in that it allows all components (Tent, Fly and Footprint) to function as a single unit. When you tighten up the fly, the Jake's Foot literally bends and pulls the tent body down and out, thus assuring for a really tight pitch and flat floor, making the best of the small internal volume. The fly and foot print can be removed from the Jake's Foot while the tent is still staked down. They clearly offer a mechanical advantage, and are most likely critical to helping the Obi get a good pitch, but in all honesty, there is something in the back of my mind that says "these are going to break in the field and then I'm screwed" as opposed to good old grommets. Time will tell. (I agree that if one of the Jake's Feet go, it is a problem. These are used on several tent designs and I have not seen any issues reported. That said, I would like to have no additional Jake's Foot with me in case I have to do a field repair. An additional Jake's Foot weighs next to nothing. IMO, Nemo should just send an extra with the tent.)

7. Oh... and for the idea of setting up the fly first, and then the tent body: Not gonna happen without some serious gymnastics. The issue is with the Jake's Feet. They are not connected to the tent with quick releases, so they cannot be quickly removed to allow for pitching the fly/footprint before the tent. You would have to unthread them first, attach the footprint to each corner, stake it out and then install the poles. Once that is completed, you can pitch the fly, go under it, thread the tent back onto the Jake's feet, then try your best to attach the clips of the tent underneath the tension of the fly against the poles. Honestly, it really wouldn't be worth it. Better to just rapidly set up the tent as normal, then pull on the fly. Again, just IMHO. (I agree. As designed, setting up Fly-First would be problematic. I cannot see how it could be done easily. Moving the Jake's Feet around just ain't gonna cut it. My solution would be to add a grommet to the ends of the fly's tension straps, allowing for proper pole position and tension. Once the fly is set up, crawl inside, and once you are working in one corner move the pole over to the Jake's Foot. This would add no weight and make the process of Fly-First a breeze. Or as least I would think so.)

My bottom line is much more positive than Lineman. Most of his concerns are not concerns in my eyes. The Obi 2P is designed as a light-weight, free-standing, double wall tent. It does all that. You could set this thing up in your driveway and have usable, but tight, space for 2 people. It is true free standing. It is not a palace, but never was advertised as such. The dimensions listed are accurate. Two 20" pads fit in just fine. As per many lightweight tents, if you are over 6'2", head and feet are gonna touch. If it's gonna rain you better close the fly as the sloped side walls will allow rain to fall straight in. IMO, is a bomb-proof with regards to storm worthiness. IMO, the flies are designed properly. I don't know how the fly would "dump water into the tent during rainfall".

Other than adding a stake in the middle at the head and grommets in the fly's tension straps, it looks good to me.

ChinMusic
04-09-2011, 16:17
Had a great test for the Nemo last night in the backyard. Thunderstorms all night with occasional gusty winds.

Held up like a champ.

I want to take back the need for a middle stake in the head area. That was "user error" on first set-up, which can be seen in the pictures that follow. If you apply tension to the front corners that "floppy area" becomes taut and there is no flapping.

I slept just fine listening to storm after storm roll in. I tried to play with the attic vent to see if I could MAKE rain come in....nope. Conditions were not severe enough and the vent could remain open without a drop getting in. I paid attention to the front corner cutout that Lineman was concerned over. Nothing got in, not a bit.

I did not attempt to play with the tension straps in an attempt to remove all wrinkle for the pics. I just set it up as it came. I'm certain a better pitch than I did could be achieved.

View of front with front corners taut.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1030_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

View of front without corners taut. This creates the floppy area Lineman referenced. It is avoidable.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1020.jpg

Corners that Lineman feared would allow rain into vestibule. I don't see an issue.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1028.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1029.jpg

View of side without front being taut. The vesibules are far from small.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1017_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

View of interior showing that there is full separation between two 20"-wide pads.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1012.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1011.jpg

Attic vent open and closed.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1023.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1022.jpg

Attic vent from the inside.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1016.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1015.jpg

From side/rear.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NemoObi2p_1001_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

Limeman
04-09-2011, 16:22
Chinmusic, thanks for your evaluation on your Obi. After reviewing your pix, you have WAY more room in your tent than I do. Wow. Attached is a pic of two 20" pads at the head of my tent. As you can see, there is not 8" of space between the pads at the head, and clearly not so where the space is usable. Hmmm... makes me feel like I got the mini-version of this tent! I have also attached pix of a pair of 8.5 US boots inside the vestibule for size reference.

I also acknowledged the clips at shoulder level that help pull the tent body outwards for more space - like the Fly Creek series from BA . Works nicely, but it is still cramped. Indeed, I slept in the tent last night in my backyard. I am 5' 9" and used a 6' Western Mountaineering Summerlte bag. Both my head and feet inside the bag touched at either end of the tent. Yes, it was fully staked out. I can blame this partly on the 80" of length that I measure in MY tent, but also that I slept on a NeoAir pad. Being raised up a few inches really cuts down on usable head/foot room due to the cant of the tent walls. Not Nemo's fault, per say.

ChinMusic in red, my replies in black:

1. (IMO the cutouts are just fine. Rain is no more likely to get in from that angle as it is to get under the fly. It is nothing to be concerned with.) You could be correct. May not be an issue at all, but I think it was appropriate to make mention that it could be a possible problem. My experience tells me that a border vent on an X axis is fine, but when you open it up along the Y axis as well, wind, rain and debris (such as sand, dirt, etc) have a much easier time entering the protected area of your vestibule and tent. This may or may not be a problem for you, but worth mentioning.

2. (close the fly in bad weather. Who leaves it open?) Of course. I'm talking about if you need to open the fly door during or after rain, water dumps into the tent at the head and shoulder zone. Not ideal. If Nemo allowed you to choose which part of the Fly you could stake out at the door, it could eliminate this issue. Might make ingress/egress a bit more difficult, but the option would be a good one to have.

3. You don't need the flap to be open in windy conditions, as you will get ventilation from around the sides. Just close it and only have it open in moderate to less winds. IMO, it is a near perfect design. I should have said "rainy weather", not "bad weather". Wind is not the issue, rain is. The vents are situated near the head/shoulder zone of the tent body and the Velcro legs are such that they "push" the fly downwards so that pooling water will gravitate towards the opening, thus the potential again to have water fall into the tent, onto your sleeping bag and/or face (maybe a good thing to be woken up so you close the vents?). As you stated, Nemo did everything they could to shave ounces, but incorporating the vents into the fly door zipper was a serious compromise IMO. In fair weather, it is a seriously slick option, especially since you can open the vent along the entire zipper. But in heavy rain, much less so. Maybe they could have built vents on the aft portion of the fly where the tent is narrower and no-where near your head/shoulders/trunk, but that would have gone against their design edict.

4. On this item we agree, but IMO there just needs to be an additional tent stake and NOT another guy. I have held this area down with my hands and created desired tension. Agree with you. A single stake point would help immensely, not unlike they did at the middle left/right of the bathtub floor. Funny thing is, they actually have one INSIDE the tent at this exact location for the gear loft. Missed opportunity!

5. I totally disagree with more Velcro loops being needed. One does the trick just perfectly, in giving you some security when setting up. One the tent is set up you don't even need the one that is there. More than one is overkill. Once the tent is set up it is tight and even my leaf blower cannot shift anything. I just like the idea of guy loops on a fly to be attached to the pole, or at least have the option. For me, it is a measure of security and solidity for the entire sturcture. It would add what... 8 grams in weight for two more?

6. (I agree that if one of the Jake's Feet go, it is a problem. These are used on several tent designs and I have not seen any issues reported. That said, I would like to have no additional Jake's Foot with me in case I have to do a field repair. An additional Jake's Foot weighs next to nothing. IMO, Nemo should just send an extra with the tent.) Great idea that. They should have included an extra Jake's Foot. I suppose they have data that says they are very durable, but it would be another measure of security to have and extra in your pack. I wonder if they would be willing to sell them?

7. As designed, setting up Fly-First would be problematic. I cannot see how it could be done easily. Moving the Jake's Feet around just ain't gonna cut it. My solution would be to add a grommet to the ends of the fly's tension straps, allowing for proper pole position and tension. Once the fly is set up, crawl inside, and once you are working in one corner move the pole over to the Jake's Foot. This would add no weight and make the process of Fly-First a breeze. Or as least I would think so. That is a good solution. I wonder if Nemo read's these posts?

Ok... one more thought: As I slept in the tent last night, another interesting design choice by Nemo came to light. The fly cutout at the head of the tent is quite large, exposing the largest non-mesh portion of the tent to the elements. It is essentially a single-walled shelter at this spot, and subject to all the pitfalls as such. Case in point: It rained for a portion last night, then cleared up. Temps were in the mid to high 30's. I awoke at about 3am to find my head damp. When I checked the wall in question, it was covered in condensation, as were the insides of the fly walls (see pix taken roughly 6-hours later with water from condensation still present). All legit double-wall portions of the tent were dry. There was little to no wind after the rain cleared last night, so ventilation was not ideal. Had there been more breeze, this may not have been an issue at all. None the less, it is worth pointing out that I would consider the Obi to lean more towards a hybrid shelter than a true double-wall due to this design choice.

Ok then... between ChinMusic and myself, hopefully you can get a good idea about the pros/cons of the Obi 2P. There are many elements I think are really nice about this tent, but I remain skeptical that it is a solid foul-weather shelter. I would highly suggest you view this tent in person before purchasing to make sure it will meet your needs. As for me, time will tell. As I used it in the rain last night, I have now committed to keeping it (I don't like taking unwarranted advantage of REI return policy). I will be happy to report back once I've put some field use in.

Cheers.

ChinMusic
04-09-2011, 17:16
Ok then... between ChinMusic and myself, hopefully you can get a good idea about the pros/cons of the Obi 2P. There are many elements I think are really nice about this tent, but I remain skeptical that it is a solid foul-weather shelter. I would highly suggest you view this tent in person before purchasing to make sure it will meet your needs. As for me, time will tell. As I used it in the rain last night, I have now committed to keeping it (I don't like taking unwarranted advantage of REI return policy). I will be happy to report back once I've put some field use in.

Cheers.

Just noticed I've been calling you "Lineman" instead of "Limeman". Sorry 'bout that.

Maybe the "cheers" made me catch that........:cool:

Ok... one more thought: As I slept in the tent last night, another interesting design choice by Nemo came to light. The fly cutout at the head of the tent is quite large, exposing the largest non-mesh portion of the tent to the elements. It is essentially a single-walled shelter at this spot, and subject to all the pitfalls as such. Case in point: It rained for a portion last night, then cleared up. Temps were in the mid to high 30's. I awoke at about 3am to find my head damp. When I checked the wall in question, it was covered in condensation, as were the insides of the fly walls (see pix taken roughly 6-hours later with water from condensation still present). All legit double-wall portions of the tent were dry. There was little to no wind after the rain cleared last night, so ventilation was not ideal. Had there been more breeze, this may not have been an issue at all. None the less, it is worth pointing out that I would consider the Obi to lean more towards a hybrid shelter than a true double-wall due to this design choice.

The cutout area, in essence being single-wall at that point is not an issue either IMO. I am a HUGE fan of single-wall tents and the condensation issues that follow. Being that mesh is about the cut out there should be no (or nearly none) condensation. Any condensation will be on the fly and that should be minimal with the excellent ventilation. Any condensation issues I have had in my single-wall tents have been higher up. Condensation that low down is minimal. I had no condensation last night at all but that is anecdotal.

Limeman
04-09-2011, 19:41
@ ChinMusic: Agreed about single-wall shelters. I love them as well, but thought it would be good to mention that this does not appear to be a true double-wall configuration. Glad you didn't have any condensation last night. I had quite a bit, but again, was mostly due to the lack of breeze and the over-all damp and cool conditions. Seemed perfect for condensation.

What is tripping me out is what appears to be a huge difference in internal width between our two tents. I do not have anywhere near that amount of space in mine. See my internal pix with two 20" pads... I have next to nothing in between them. Manufacturers tolerances I guess?

The gaps between the fly and the tent body on my Obi are also significantly greater (see pix) Again, you may be right that this is no big deal, but in desert camping, such as in the South West, this might not bode well. Field use will tell.

Seriously folks - I do think this is a nice tent. I have posted what I thought was a solid review and what could be issues.

How about some positives:

1. Packs fast and small.
2. Lighter in weight (2 lbs, 14.5 oz) than spec'd by Nemo (3 lbs).
3. Very easy to setup and quick to make a taut pitch.
4. Nicely placed internal pockets and attachment points for gear attics, etc.
5. Low slung profile should mean solid performance in high winds (minus the "head of tent" issue already mentioned.
6. Two vestibules and doors is a really nice feature at this weight.
7. High-quality materials and construction.
8. Jake's feet really do make for a fast, easy setup.
8. Let's face it: Nemo tents just exude that "cool factor".

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Franco
04-09-2011, 19:50
not all 20" mats are 20" wide when fully inflated. My Neo Air is about 19", a PO I have is actually 18"....(at the widest point)
Franco

ChinMusic
04-09-2011, 20:03
not all 20" mats are 20" wide when fully inflated. My Neo Air is about 19", a PO I have is actually 18"....(at the widest point)
Franco
Just measured them (inflated). Big Agnes is 20.5" and the Neo is 20" dead on.

Limeman
04-09-2011, 21:03
My NeoAir pads are dead on at 20" as well. So are the regular ThermaRest pads I used in the pix. I wonder if the Obi comes in S, M and L? LOL

Limeman
04-09-2011, 21:47
Here is one more shot just to prove I'm not crazy. The pad in the photo is exactly 46" in length. The shot is of the pad at the very top of my Obi 2P, which should be close to 50" wide at this position. As you can see, the pad actually buckles on the right a bit because it is too wide for the interior space, which rapidly narrows from there. Dang... I feel like Nemo ripped me off of 4" of living space!

ChinMusic: Do you have a 46" Thermarest pad? If yes, can you take a similar picture? I'd like to see the results.

Thanks!

ChinMusic
04-09-2011, 21:51
ChinMusic: Do you have a 46" Thermarest pad? If yes, can you take a similar picture? I'd like to see the results.

Nope, but I measured it. The floor is 50" at the head. Unless it is taut the usable space will be less.

Try staking the front taut.

Limeman
04-10-2011, 00:04
I did. Can't get any more taut at the head of the tent. It is pulled as tightly as east is from west! ;)

FamilyGuy
04-14-2011, 00:09
Hey fellas - it looks like Nemo is listening!

here: http://nemoadventureanywhere.blogspot.com/2011/04/forums.html

ChinMusic
04-14-2011, 00:38
Cool. I wish they had addressed my idea of placing a grommet to the ends of the fly's tension straps.

.....and I promise to capitalize NEMO from now on...........:D

tat44too
04-14-2011, 00:54
I have two Nemo (Moto 1P and Morpho 2P) Tents and love them both. Mine do not have poles, though, instead they have the air tube support. Both are single wall and I haven't had either out in pouring rain (yet) but both are awesome in the wind. Their customer service is top notch...

FamilyGuy
04-14-2011, 01:09
.....and I promise to capitalize NEMO from now on...........:D

Ooops - I didn't!

Limeman
04-14-2011, 01:41
@ChinMusic: Looks like Nemo sells extra Jake's Feet. On their webiste, for $5 each. They are out of stock as of now, but good to know you can purchase extra! :)

ChinMusic
04-14-2011, 09:49
@ChinMusic: Looks like Nemo sells extra Jake's Feet. On their webiste, for $5 each. They are out of stock as of now, but good to know you can purchase extra! :)
They say they don't break but I think I will take advantage of that anyway.

Limeman
04-14-2011, 23:35
Agreed. Seems like a very inexpensive, lightweight and simple bit of security. ;)

Chubbs4U
04-15-2011, 00:38
I do love the fact that not only do they read the posts but that they answered the questions and addressed what was asked. Customer service like that is hard to come by.

BradMT
04-24-2011, 14:24
Great discussion here guys, and I really appreciate the NEMO folks responding on their own blog... I'm looking for a bomber 1 person tent and have narrowed it down to the NEMO Obi 1P or Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1... this will be to replace my much liked but mildly mitigated Black Diamond Firstlight.

Wonder when the "Elite" version of the Obi 1p will be available stateside?

Anyone seen a review on the Elite?

ChinMusic
04-24-2011, 15:30
I'll be taking the NEMO to Michigan next weekend, my first chance to take a trip with it. I plan on taking it from Erwin to 19E just before Trail Days and have it set up at Trail Days.

I'll be in the Trail Talk camp if anyone wants to check it out. Just ask for Chin.

ChinMusic
05-01-2011, 22:35
Just got back from the Manistee River Trail (Michigan). Had a nice set of storms last night. The Obi didn't flinch. I had the attic vents fully open and with the strong winds not a drop came in the tent. The vestibule remained dry.

I played around with using a trekking pole across the front corners. It worked in keeping the corners taut. In the pic (one with the fly) the stakes are not doing the work.

I would suggest two longer stakes than what comes with the tent for the vestibule stakes for sandy soil. Manistee is very sandy.

Notice how taut the front is in this pic. There is absolutely no flapping that was a concern on my first setup. First night no rain so no fly.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NEMO_Manistee2.jpg

Got tested with some storms on night two. Tent performed beautifully.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/NemoObi2p/NEMO_Manistee.jpg

buzzard8900
06-02-2011, 10:12
Thanks Limeman and Chinmusic!!! I am looking for a new solo tent your reviews have help a ton. I have got it down to three NEMO Obi 2p, NEMO Meta 1 or BA Copper Spur 1p. Obi 2p would give me 2 doors and more room for only 10 oz. I think will have to go to the local outdoors store to see them in person.

ChinMusic
06-02-2011, 10:21
Thanks Limeman and Chinmusic!!! I am looking for a new solo tent your reviews have help a ton. I have got it down to three NEMO Obi 2p, NEMO Meta 1 or BA Copper Spur 1p. Obi 2p would give me 2 doors and more room for only 10 oz. I think will have to go to the local outdoors store to see them in person.
How tall are you?

buzzard8900
06-02-2011, 10:26
I am 5'11"

ChinMusic
06-02-2011, 11:51
I am 5'11"
I'm 5'10" and do well in the Obi 2P if I sleep towards the middle or at a bit of an angle. To keep the weight down to 3# NEMO had to slope the side walls. If I am on one side only of the Obi 2P feet hit those sloped walls. If I am towards the middle it is fine. If I were using it with another person those sloped walls in the foot box would bug the heck out of me. If you are intending to use it as a solo you should be golden. If I were choosing between the 1P and the 2P for a solo tent I would prob go with the 2P for the comfort and eat the few ounces of weight difference.

Bacpkn
07-22-2011, 19:10
ChinMusic, what would you recommend for a 2P UL for me and my husband? We were narrowing things down to the Obi 2P until I ran across the thread. Any suggestions? He's 6'2", I'm 5'7". Would love some considerable lighter than our 4,6 oz DW tent. Love the tent but want to shave weight.

Anyone else have any ideas??

Limeman
07-23-2011, 09:07
While I really like the Obi series of tents (the Obi 1P is my favorite single-person shelter right now) I think that at 6'2" and 5'7", you and your husband will be pretty cramped in the Obi 2P. I can suggest instead the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3. It has a 90" x 66" floor plan, 39 sq ft internal space, and an acceptable vestibule for 2. Weighs 3lbs, 3oz for tent, fly and poles. One door is not quite a convenient as the two of the Nemo, but there is no comparison where space is concerned. If you seek light-weight but still want room, this is the way to go. REI has some good videos and 360 degree views, as well as 7 user reviews - all 5-star rated. Expensive, but might be worth a look.

earlylight
01-23-2012, 13:52
Thought I'd chime in although this is an old thread. I've tested both the Obi 1p and the Kilo 2p and the Obi 1 is hands down the better tent. The biggest, most important difference between the two is interior space and ventilation which is excellent in the Obi 1p and substandard in the Kilo 2p, which really only has room for 1 person and poor venting, which generates lots of internal condensation.

horriefic
06-20-2012, 02:12
The Obi 2P is an excellent tent. It's great for solo use. I love it to bits. I used it during my 5 nights Trans Titiwangsa hiking expedition in tropical Malaysia and it performed fabulously. On rainy nights, I will just get dry and comfy in my tent. One vestibule for my pack and gear, and the other vestibule to cook my dinner, make hot drinks etc. When set up properly with everything nice and tight, there's lots of space. I did wish that the tent was at least 6 inches longer though. At 5' 11", my feet are close to touching the back of the tent. But that's partly due to the fact that I'm using the Nemo Cosmo Air mat (I also love this air mat) that lifts me up around 3" off the ground (the higher you go, the slope of the tent body goes inwards ie. slightly smaller space). Super tent, imho. I've used this tent hard in difficult conditions, muddy ground, rocky and rooty ground, rainy weather etc, and it works well. Once you get inside, you'll be comfortable. The 2 vestibules are real useful.