PDA

View Full Version : Shawnee State Park hiking

So Far
03-27-2011, 17:44
Going to Shawnee this weekend. Wanted to know whos been...how did u like it. Water? Drops or filter.

QiWiz
03-27-2011, 17:59
Going to Shawnee this weekend. Wanted to know whos been...how did u like it. Water? Drops or filter.

Not much flat, either goin up or down, sometmes steeply. It's the premiere BP trail in OH, but not much backpacking in OH, so that's not hard. I've hiked it both clockwise and counterclockwise. Easier to find trail clockwise. Have done it as 4 day, 3 night trip including drive from NE OH. Water should be plentiful, both in cisterns by designated camps and from streams. I always use Aqua Mira. Cistern by camp 4 is hard to find but there is a good stream. Camp 6 is nicest, cross stream to get to best spots. No water at camp 3, get at cistern on your way up. Camp 2 was hard to find when going counterclockwise, as map is ? inaccurate as to side trail location.

Pioneer Spirit
03-27-2011, 19:23
I passed through the area on the Buckeye Trail this past winter in November. The trail is a lot of ups and downs using lanes made by a bulldozer. There was a significant fire in the area a couple of years ago and the decided to ignore the switchbacks of the BT and simply made a trail up the hills side along the hills.
They erased 7000 manhours put into making the BT.

Our group will be over in East fork finishing up the Williamsburg section this weekend. Check out the BT web site, join the forum and join us on circuit hikes this year. We will be up around Brecksville later this year.
http://buckeyetrail.org/

Doctari
03-27-2011, 20:17
Minimal "Natural" water, you have to plan around the cisterns that are kept filled in season. Usually well marked on the maps, may not be that easy to find on the trail, but I've never had an issue. AND, I have gotten water from a few streams, but they can be scarce. Also, even though I don't: TREAT YOUR WATER if from a stream. Unsure about the cisterns, but then again, I don't treat anyway.
The 4 or 5 campsites I've camped at were pretty nice, be careful & watch for poison Ivy & Oak. I think it's camp #1 that has a HUGE (7' x 15') field of it that looks like it could be a nice place to tent for the unwary.

Another hint: Get the horseman's map in addition to the hiking map, it shows a few alternative routes in better detail.
BTW: don't expect many views, they are there, but not in abundance.

So Far
03-27-2011, 20:28
QI Wiz when did u go...they say on the web that the trail is well maintained and blazed??? As far as a lot of ups and down I did the AT last year...would u recommend somewhere else? I live in CLE and PA is calling for rain this weekend.

Pony
03-27-2011, 21:11
What's going on So Far? The trail is pretty difficult by Ohio standards, but after last summer it won't be a problem. As mentioned it just goes straight up then back down, kind of like the roller coaster, but on a smaller scale. How long are you going for? The SBT is about 60 miles, but if you're looking for something a little closer, Zaleski is nice and only 23 miles. I've only done about half of Shawnee, but from what I've seen I actually like Zaleski better. I don't remember blazing being a problem. In fact in parts it is the ADT/NCT/BT, so it's over blazed if anything. Also be careful, this past wednesday at Shawnee, a woman was killed in her tent when a tree fell on it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun.

p.s. You making it to trail days?

So Far
03-27-2011, 22:29
Hey I wanted to go for 2-3 nights...most of the other trails seemed to be two days but only one night. I'll take a look into some other trails. Yea after the AT it shouldnt be to bad...however I kind of want to enjoy some hiking not curse the ups/downs. Yea I'll have to pay attention to weather...I remeber on the AT laying in my tent hearing the trees moan...never knowing if one was going to land on ya. I might be going to trail days. I signed up for a marathon that weekend but got injured during training. So i might do the half or just hit up Damascus.

What's going on So Far? The trail is pretty difficult by Ohio standards, but after last summer it won't be a problem. As mentioned it just goes straight up then back down, kind of like the roller coaster, but on a smaller scale. How long are you going for? The SBT is about 60 miles, but if you're looking for something a little closer, Zaleski is nice and only 23 miles. I've only done about half of Shawnee, but from what I've seen I actually like Zaleski better. I don't remember blazing being a problem. In fact in parts it is the ADT/NCT/BT, so it's over blazed if anything. Also be careful, this past wednesday at Shawnee, a woman was killed in her tent when a tree fell on it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun.

p.s. You making it to trail days?

RedneckRye
03-28-2011, 00:56
Last week a hiker got killed by a falling tree down there.
I heard about it from someone who walked into the gear shop where I work and asked if I knew any details.
Google pointed me here...
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/woman-killed-when-tree-uproots-falls-on-tent-1117009.html
I haven't really looked int this, but I always thought that getting killed this way was an urban legend )or a Boy Scout scare tactic).

steve43
03-28-2011, 06:39
I've hiked the Shawnee a number of times. The only bad part was between camp 4 and 5. Seems like they never maintain that section. Nothing too difficult. I've always found it well marked. Cisterns have always been full of water, but I never have found the one at camp 4. Good thing there was a stream. As mentioned, camp 6 is the best, at least in my opinion. Camp 5 has an amazing view. Didn't care much for camp 2 and 7. Never stayed at camp 1. Last time I was there there was some vandalism in the parking lot. Truck window smashed. May want to park up at the lodge. Have fun. Its a nice hike.

fifo

elray
03-28-2011, 07:47
Ditto on the parking. The parking lot for the trailhead is somewhat isolated from anything else and the lodge is only a half mile more away from the starting point. Especially mid week when you might be the only vehicle. One less worry.

QiWiz
03-28-2011, 17:47
QI Wiz when did u go...they say on the web that the trail is well maintained and blazed??? As far as a lot of ups and down I did the AT last year...would u recommend somewhere else? I live in CLE and PA is calling for rain this weekend.

I went clockwise at the end of March in 2009 and counterclockwise in mid May in 2010. Because it's southern Ohio it may be a bit warmer than PA. My favorite PA trail (that I have hiked) is the Black Forest. Many more views than Shawnee, but also a relatively tough trail. Can do the whole thing in 3-4 days, or part of it in less. Weather is weather - what are you gonna do? If you have not joined the NEOH Backpacking Club, you should; lots of good information on their site, people to hike with, knowledgeable folks.

QiWiz
03-28-2011, 18:36
The SBT is about 60 miles

It's about 40, not 60 miles.

So Far
03-29-2011, 09:26
Hey thanks for the info. Weather is weather however, I've been there and done that. I've done the days of rain. Snow, hail, and extreme heat. Therefore, I want to enjoy this trip a little more and with gas near $4.00 a gallon I want to go to the best place.
Weather is weather - what are you gonna do?

QiWiz
03-29-2011, 15:45
I'm working this weekend, so decision made for me, then next Sat 4/9 I'm flying to Atlanta to begin my AT section to Hot Springs from Amicalola. Hope the weather does what you hope . . .