PDA

View Full Version : Packlist and questions

Muzzy
03-27-2011, 18:47
First for the packlist, no weights will be listed as I honestly have no idea how much the things way, generally, I've gone for lighter choices over heavier (poncho instead of rain jacket).

Pack:
Osprey Talon 44

Sleep:
Hennessy Hammock (backpacker UL version), tarp
20 degree synthetic bag

Kitchen:
pot (what appears to be 1.5 liters, probably less)
cat food stove
spoon
8oz fuel containter
windscreen

clothes: Synthetic unless otherwise noted
zip off pants
short sleeved shirt
jacket (cotton)
2 pair socks (wool)
2 pair sock liners
1 pair ankle socks (wool)
1 pair tennis shoes (already broken in)
rain poncho

Other:
first aid kit (a few bandaids, some vitamin I, and the like)
roll of duct tape (yes, and entire roll, this is non-negotiable)
30 pieces of gauze (another non-negotiable)
10 catheters (another non-negotiable, boiling, reusing until I pick up the next set in a bounce box.)
LED flashlight
small knife/multitool
3 liter bladder
1 gatorade bottle
toilet paper
50ft paracord

Please, if I'm missing anything obvious, let me know, food is not listed for obvious reasons (I'm a cyborg).

On to the questions:
1. Do you guys soak your foods like rice in water during the day for a faster cook time? if so, is it an all day thing?
2. How is a day normally structured? When I go hiking (1-2 day trips), I tend to hike until ~30 minutes before dark, but in many AT pics and videos I see people going to shelters as early as 4pm. Assuming this is more for the social aspect?
3. should I have chips and salsa or a sandwich right now?

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:13
I'm guessing you are a Type 1 diabetic - catheters and gauze - you should pack a bunch of energy gell like goo or cliff shots - your insulin will never get high but your sugar will get low all the time - you may have to figure out some new body rhythms - your list looks nice and compact to me but here are a few things to consider:

A pack cover
A toothbrush and tooth powder of some sort
waterproof stuff sacks to put your stuff in
A pack towel

I don't know anyone that soaks food - just use instant rice if you are cooking rice - its par-boiled.

Drag yourself out of the sack at 5AM - drink coffee, hit the privy, and start hiking - eat food and drink water all day - try to quit by about 4pm and enjoy your evenings - stretch, read, chat with folks - go to bed early and do it again.

why the whole roll of duct tape?

Chips and salsa

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:14
oh yeah - are you purifying water - Aqua Mira?

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:17
sorry for the multiple posts - why the cotton jacket? heavy, useless if wet, etc. - and you need a fleece or wool sweater - I'd say to make that switch - I also never travel without a stocking cap

leaftye
03-27-2011, 19:35
You're going to freeze without bottom insulation.

Papa D
03-27-2011, 19:47
yeah, I saw that but he / she is in a hammock, right?

WalksInDark
03-27-2011, 20:00
I have been hammock camping for a few years now and can say without any doubt that your whole body will be cold if you sleep in a hammock and the lowest night temps are not at least 60 (50) if you are warm blooded.\

P.S. If you are planning on using the tarp/fly that came with your Hennessey...it is really too small until you get pretty much into the summer. Even then, you might really enjoy the sun shade from a larger tarp/fly.

If you have any other hammock type questions go here: http://www.hammockforums.net/?

If you can't find your answer on the hammock forum...it does not exist. LOL

Jersey Tim
03-27-2011, 20:19
Gotta admit, I'm curious about the duct tape too. A whole roll is neither compact nor lightweight, and definitely overkill. Many people opt for athletic tape; I find it's just as good for gear repairs and more friendly than duct tape for skin repairs, and it comes in more realistically-sized rolls.

Panzer1
03-27-2011, 20:29
1 pair tennis shoes (already broken in)I would rather see you in a pair of trail shoes than tennis shoes.

Also, I would add a map and a compass, guide book.
Also, add a watch, cigarette lighter, soap
if at all possible loose the cotton jacket, replace with synthetic.

Panzer, also since you're 21 add a bottle of whiskey...:banana

Blissful
03-27-2011, 20:32
Is this for a thru hike start?

For rice, just use instant.

On the duct tape, catheters, gauze. You can bounce some of it town to town if you need it for medical purposes.

I hope by tennis shoes you mean trail runners,. Need some kind of traction or you'll be looking at a sprained ankle in no time flat.
Need a lighter
Aqua mira
camp clothes
long sleeve shirt to hike in
change flashlight to a headlamp
you will regret a cotton jacket. Get a synthetic one
hat
a cheap poncho can weigh as much or more than a dry ducks or frogg togg rain jacket
pack liner and / or rain cover

BigHodag
03-27-2011, 20:32
Noted you're hanging and don't have a pad listed. Even in warm weather you'll need a pad under you. I use a light, cheap foam pad from Walmart. You can reduce weight further by cutting off the corners of the pad which will help it fit in the hammock, a one generally sleeps in hammocks at an angle to the center line. Spend a few nights outside in your hammock before the trip, and during at least one rain storm.

Don't see how you intend to light the alcohol stove. Matches, lighter, flint & steel? If flint & knife, practice at home.

I use a long sleeved nylon fishing shirt which I don in the evening and sleep in when hanging. Long sleeves give better heat retention than the short sleeved shirt listed. I can always roll up sleeves, you can't pull yours down.

I'd go with a non-cotton windbreaker for a jacket over a cotton jacket. Might could find one with a hood zipped into the collar at a thrift store to save $$. If it has a draw string at the waist, you could always stuff your sleeping bag inside the windbreaker and around your torso to increase insulation and turn it into a "puffy" jacket. Also, your poncho can be used for wind protection.

Didn't see any hiking poles. Wrap your roll of duct tape around the water bottle and any poles. Peel off as needed. Unless you're using the duct tape to bandage yourself, you don't need a whole roll.

Might also add a small notebook, pen and small camera to record the trip. I bought a new notebook today for my upcoming section hike. I record my name, emergency contact info and medical info inside the cover for rescuers/EMS. (I even include the funeral home and phone # should I inconveniently pass away on the trip.) In the back, I record key telephone numbers, ticket numbers, and reservation info, as well as a trip plan. The notebook always stays on my person in a ziplock baggie inside a zipped pocket. (I'm an ex-emergency manager and preparedness is in my DNA)

Papa D
03-27-2011, 21:10
Panzer - assuming we're talking the AT, why would you need a compass? really you go the way you haven't been yet and follow those white things on the trees - why not a boat anchor too?

Papa D
03-27-2011, 21:11
whiskey is good though

Muzzy
03-27-2011, 21:14
Hmm, can't manage to find an edit button, but I may just be missing it entirely. I forgot to list some things as I did the pack list from memory.

Additions:
Pipe/tobacco (a habit I picked up from my grandfather, and I have to say, enjoying)
Lighter and firestarter, simply for two sources
toothbrush (still haven't bought any sort of toothpaste for the trail)
pack cover
guidebook
bandana
baseball cap
aqua mira

So these things I already have, just forgot to put on the list.

To answer some of your questions.
If you'll notice in the safety forum I posted about people who have hiked with ostomies and how they handled it. got a few good suggestions, but mostly people worried about infection (I will be carrying cipro in my first ade kit). Decided I'd try out using duct tape and gauze. much cheaper than bandaids and stays put all day. been doing it as a replacement for bandaids since I made the post actually. the reason I am not using any sort of athletic tape is because when I took on the whole ostomy thing, I tried a large amount of products and wasn't satisfied, that being one. However, Walgreens sells the greatest bandaids of all time, I order them by the multiple dozens of boxes from them.
As for the cotton jacket. I like it is all, I like cotton, it feels so much nicer than synthetic. I will however, bounce a synthetic jacket for when I finally stop being a hard head and follow good advice.
The shoes. Normal running shoes, I do long distance track and do my practice in them, they don't have many more miles left in them ~200 or so, so I will be picking up a new pair of shoes very early into the trail.
not a fan of hiking polls, I have tried them before on short hikes and they make walking feel uncomfortable, again, this is probably an area in which I have little experience, and only wishing I had them would make me get them.
I will however be adding a pad to my hammock, you guys seem pretty convinced I'm a fool for not, so I will pick up a thermarest of something of that nature. I don't think it would get cold enough to justify me ordering an underquilt, but depending on your responses, I just may. Here in Texas, I don't really understand cold, because even if it does get down into the 30s or 40s, I'm only ever outside for the one night, and the next day it could be damn well near 80.
On second thought, I concede. Consider my precious jacket nixed. Synthetic it is.

Muzzy
03-27-2011, 21:21
sorry, missed a suggestion, I will be replacing the flashlight with a headlamp.

Papa D
03-27-2011, 21:21
Hey - just saw you are in Athens - me too - feel free to PM me - my basement might as well be a hiking store - I've got more gear than Half Moon - not kidding - I can help you out if you like. Also, I'm hiking the Foothills Trail in about 3 weeks if you want to get out for a trial run - it's 77 miles in SC mountains - but goes pretty quick.

Panzer1
03-27-2011, 22:21
Panzer - assuming we're talking the AT, why would you need a compass? really you go the way you haven't been yet and follow those white things on the trees - why not a boat anchor too?

In an emergency you may have to go off trail ... no more white things to follow

if you miss a turn you can find yourself suddenly not on the trail anymore, no more white things to follow :eek: it happens.

you can use your compass to orient yourself to your map.

you can also use a compass with your map to determine which mountains you are looking at. I like to know that stuff.

a small compass is warranted, no need for a big one though..

Panzer

dragoro
03-27-2011, 23:51
I have been hammock camping for a few years now and can say without any doubt that your whole body will be cold if you sleep in a hammock and the lowest night temps are not at least 60 (50) if you are warm blooded.\

P.S. If you are planning on using the tarp/fly that came with your Hennessey...it is really too small until you get pretty much into the summer. Even then, you might really enjoy the sun shade from a larger tarp/fly.

If you have any other hammock type questions go here: http://www.hammockforums.net/?

If you can't find your answer on the hammock forum...it does not exist. LOL

Lots of people do hammocks in much lower temps then 50 without a prob if they have their hammock set up right.

billygut
04-01-2011, 22:54
the main problem with any cotton clothing is that cotton sucks up water gets heavy,takes for ever to dry and has no insulating properties when wet.wool merino wool or similar sythetics will actually carry moisture away from your body keeping cool when its warm,and warm when its cold.they also still insulate when wet

ScottP
04-02-2011, 00:06
Everything looks good (with the exception of the already addressed pad/jacket issues)

Just a note on going from track to long distance hiking--I've noticed that strong runners tend to be one of the most injury prone groups of previously athletic hikers. My best educated guess for the cause of that phenomena is that they have the endurance to hike all day but not the muscle mass to do so without injuring themselves. Maybe think about doing some weight training.

As far as poles go, if your previous sport was track then there's probably no reason to use them.

As far as day structure, there's a massive variety. I hike to hike, so I usually (once I'm in shape) wake up about 20-30 mins before sunrise, am on the trail by the time the sun starts rising. I hike an hour then stretch and eat breakfast, divide the remainder of my day up into three parts and take two 10-15 minute breaks to change socks, wash my feet, and eat, then stop about 20-30 minutes before sunset, cook&eat dinner, then go to bed.

leaftye
04-02-2011, 12:58
the main problem with any cotton clothing is that cotton sucks up water gets heavy,takes for ever to dry and has no insulating properties when wet.wool merino wool or similar sythetics will actually carry moisture away from your body keeping cool when its warm,and warm when its cold.they also still insulate when wet

Comparing the water wicking ability of wool to synthetics is incorrect. It's more like cotton in that respect.