PDA

View Full Version : Cheese?

SwingLow
03-27-2011, 20:16
I was just curious what kind of cheese people like to take on the trail. Would easy cheese and string cheese be good to take, or would they go bad?

swjohnsey
03-27-2011, 20:42
Don't know about those but any hard cheese will last a long time.

Tinker
03-27-2011, 21:03
It only needs to last a few days until you get to your next resupply. The above post regarding hard (drier) cheeses as lasting longer before they go rancid is pretty accurate. I like sharp cheddar and have carried it in a ziplock bag for three days in warm weather without problems, though it smelled stronger at the end. I also carried cheese sticks (string cheese) but found I ate so many of them at a sitting that buying a block worked better.

Papa D
03-27-2011, 21:24
I got so spoiled on the Long Trail - convenience stores there sell Cabot Cheddar cheese - my favorite - it's only sold as "gourmet cheese" where I live - any hard cheese will last a pretty good while - "spreadable" cream cheese in the little plastic containers is good for 3-4 days too - especially in the spring and fall (unless it is super hot outside)

Slo-go'en
03-27-2011, 21:31
Hard cheese like chedders will last longer in hot weather if wrapped in brown paper or cheese cloth. Do not leave in plastic bag.

Penguin
03-27-2011, 23:06
I always bring white cheeses. I found the yellows tend to turn really greasy in the heat. Cheese requires no refrigeration, and lasts a long time. If it gets moldy, just cut that part off. Cheese is the most awesome thing on trail, next to Bagels and nutella.

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2011, 23:17
i don't remember carrying much cheese in the middle states, but when i carried cheese it was usually colby, or cheddars.
my dog had no complaints about the choice of snacks:D

buzzamania
03-27-2011, 23:22
string cheese is great. I take it along with a bag of precut pepperoni and precooked chicken breast chunks (foil pouch) and then wrap it up in a tortilla along with any mayo mustard and other goodness. I've also taken parmaggianno reggiano (parmesan wedges) That cheese has already been sitting out for a couple of years so you know it will last. I'll second the suggestion not to put in a zip lock. wrap in cheese cloth

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2011, 23:26
keep the cheese wrapped up and stored somewhere in the pack, away from direct sunlight

mweinstone
03-27-2011, 23:50
on the hottest days, cheese gets only better. the longer , the cheeseyer.

Rocket Jones
03-28-2011, 06:41
Asiago. Italian, more tang than parmesan, harder than cheddar. Good stuff.

RGB
03-28-2011, 06:51
You may want to contact Jester about this. He is a renowned expert on this subject.

daddytwosticks
03-28-2011, 07:30
In non-summer months, I take cream cheese for my bagels (ex-NY'er) for the first day or two. :)

Roots
03-28-2011, 08:17
I've never had a problem with cheese of any type or cream cheese lasting a 4 day trip.

general
03-28-2011, 08:34
easy cheese has a shelf life of four hundred thousand years.

harryfred
03-28-2011, 11:39
You may want to contact Jester about this. He is a renowned expert on this subject.
Sadley The Jester is no longer a part of WB. He would tell you all cheese is good and it will last as long as you need it to. for the most part on the AT if you are carrying any food you need to last more than 5 days you are carrying too much weight.

Terraducky
03-28-2011, 11:44
"Laughing Cow" cheeses- wrapped in wax, are wonderful! I slide them into the hydration pouch next to my Camelbak and they are protected and cool.

Hikes in Rain
03-28-2011, 11:58
Only issue I have with the Laughing Cow waxed cheeses is that they're too small for me. Two big bites, and it's gone. But it does come wrapped in a nice fire starter (the wax coating)!

Someone mentioned Asiago. 1+ on that one! But any cheese will last until eaten.

Skid.
03-28-2011, 14:17
[QUOTE=Papa D;1135930]I got so spoiled on the Long Trail - convenience stores there sell Cabot Cheddar cheese - my favorite - it's only sold as "gourmet cheese" where I liveQUOTE]

Not to hijack this thread, but I used to stock up on Cabot when in Vt, then I found out my local Sam's Club carries it, and less expensive. Saves me a lot on gas, too!