PDA

View Full Version : Will my Katadyn Hiker Pro make it to Maine?

SwingLow
03-27-2011, 20:33
Does anyone know if I will need to change out the filter before I get to Maine, or about how long it might last?

Bearpaw
03-27-2011, 20:35
I went through four cartridges on my thru-hike. 600 miles per cartridge seemed about right.

hobbs
03-27-2011, 20:37
I dont know but Know you can get filters from outfitters along the trail...Daleville Va absolutly at the outfitter there...

SwingLow
03-27-2011, 20:41
Thank you!

Papa D
03-27-2011, 20:44
sure - mail drop it now 04982

seriously, I occasionally do week long trips with friends with that filter, but wouldn't consider it for a thru-hike - much too heavy and it WILL clog and the replacement filters are about $25 if you get a good deal. I'd just use aqua-mira and boil your cooking water for 30 seconds or so.

if you insist on taking the filter anyway, get a coffee filter (maybe a few) and wrap it around the pre-filter with a rubber band and if you want to be proper about it, you need to keep the part that goes into your water bottle separated in a zip lock or you will cross contaminate the thing.

Doing all that (and I'm pretty sure you'll ditch the thing before you leave NC) and if you do take it to Maine with you, I'd say your 4th insert will be clogging up somewhere in BSP.

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2011, 21:31
i only used 2 filters per trip
great filter----have a great hike

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2011, 21:35
2-4 cartridges
i carried a collaspable waterbag too, i filtered out of it alot! maybe that extended my filter cartridges? have a great hike

TheCheek
03-27-2011, 22:34
I changes it once. So 2 total. Key to longevity is choosing good sources and making sure to use the prefilter most come with where it enters the tube.

Tipi Walter
03-27-2011, 22:41
Sad fact is, beyond the need to replace the cartridge, is that when I first bought my PUR Hiker filter the replacements were around $21, now they are $39.00!! Say what?

CrumbSnatcher
03-27-2011, 23:12
Sad fact is, beyond the need to replace the cartridge, is that when I first bought my PUR Hiker filter the replacements were around $21, now they are $39.00!! Say what?
Tipi whats 39.00 bucks compared to that big ass smile on your face, cause your out there hiking, doing what you love, nobody bothering you
did that help:rolleyes: ease the pain:D
and don't forget your utlilities are lower at home, when your not there.

Tipi Walter
03-27-2011, 23:22
Tipi whats 39.00 bucks compared to that big ass smile on your face, cause your out there hiking, doing what you love, nobody bothering you
did that help:rolleyes: ease the pain:D
and don't forget your utlilities are lower at home, when your not there.

I know, I'm off the grid and do not suffer from car-gas induced retardation---just white gas addiction:)

buzzamania
03-27-2011, 23:28
If you take your filter and soak it in a baking soda/water mixture for about an hour then rinse well with filtered water or tap water after a week or so of use, then let it air out over night, it won't get as funky.