PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Trail?

rhapsody98
03-28-2011, 09:43
Is there a hiking trail that follows the historic Oregon Trail, or is there one planned? And wouldn't that be neat for history buffs!

Shutterbug
03-28-2011, 10:49
Is there a hiking trail that follows the historic Oregon Trail, or is there one planned? And wouldn't that be neat for history buffs!

There is no hiking trail that follows the Oregon Trail. I have heard of no plans to designate one.

There is a highway designation for the "Old Oregon Trail" that roughly follows the route. There is still a gap in the designation in Wyoming.

My wife and I have discussed following the trail, but have not made definite plans. A few years ago, we followed the Lewis and Clark Trail from Illinois to the Pacific Coast. It was a great experience. While there is no hiking trail, we found an interesting place to hike almost every day. We stopped at all the intrepretive centers and historic places along the trail. I assume that following the Oregon Trail would be a similar experience. We have visited a number of museums, like the one in Baker City, OR that are interesting.

garlic08
03-28-2011, 11:31
See this thread, too: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69878&highlight=Oregon+trail