PDA

View Full Version : I Need advice on a knife to take hiking!!

Invictus Maneo
03-28-2011, 13:21
Greetings, I need advice on a knife to take hiking. I'm in the market and don't know what to buy. What do I look for? What should I be prepared to spend? Functionality? HELP!!

4eyedbuzzard
03-28-2011, 13:27
Any small good quality knife will do. I've been using the same Gerber LST for some 20 years now. 1.2 ounces and it cuts stuff just fine.

Skid.
03-28-2011, 14:05
Ditto on any small knife. I carry one, and have hiked many sections of the AT without ever having taken it out of my pack.

Llama Legs
03-28-2011, 14:06
I've been using a Swiss Army "card" for years. When I think I might need more of a survival tool, I stick in a pocket my folding-locking knife that has a serrated section on the blade.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2011, 14:07
Greetings, I need advice on a knife to take hiking. I'm in the market and don't know what to buy. What do I look for? What should I be prepared to spend? Functionality? HELP!!

for protection?

Mountain Wildman
03-28-2011, 14:22
Quite a few hikers carry tiny little knives like keychain swiss army knives, Which is perfectly adequate as long as you don't have to do any real cutting.
I was going to carry a folding pocket knife until one I was using last week to demonstrate a fire starter released and put a nice gash in my thumb, As a result I have decided to suck up the few extra ounces and carry a fixed blade knife, I only use quality knives so I will most likely carry something like this Bark River Bravo Necker which is stainless and less prone to rust and is available in a 2.5" blade or 3.5" blade, It only weighs a couple of ounces and has handles available if you don't care for the skeletonized frame.
http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=465_712_713

form
03-28-2011, 14:29
3 inch swiss army type with sissors

endubyu
03-28-2011, 14:31
Gettin it specifically for the AT or will you use it for other things? I have a Becker BK-2 and love it! It's overkill for the AT but I use it for other stuff as well so no reason to change what I do.

SMSP
03-28-2011, 16:29
Mora knives

brian039
03-28-2011, 18:27
All you really need is something that will cut cheese and summer sausage. A razor blade works just fine.

Front Royal Mike
03-28-2011, 18:51
A folding knife with a locking blade is the safest.Choose one that you can unlock and close without closing the blade on any of your fingers,sounds stupid but most accidents happen because the blade closed during use.I prefer a knife with a clip to hold it in place in my pocket,the knife is always in the same place ready for use.I have been carrying a pocket knife for 40 yrs and never leave home without it.I am a tradesman so I use a knife several times a day every day.I like the Kershaw "Leek" opens with one hand and has a very good point(definitely not for those unused to handling sharp tools though !)If you are not accustomed to tool handling and safety you would likely do fine with a small pair of scissors with rounded tips.Many fishing tackle shops carry scissors for cutting braided fishing line(very tough stuff!)

Rocket Jones
03-28-2011, 19:02
Quite a few hikers carry tiny little knives like keychain swiss army knives, Which is perfectly adequate as long as you don't have to do any real cutting.
I was going to carry a folding pocket knife until one I was using last week to demonstrate a fire starter released and put a nice gash in my thumb, As a result I have decided to suck up the few extra ounces and carry a fixed blade knife, I only use quality knives so I will most likely carry something like this Bark River Bravo Necker which is stainless and less prone to rust and is available in a 2.5" blade or 3.5" blade, It only weighs a couple of ounces and has handles available if you don't care for the skeletonized frame.
http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=465_712_713

Bark River knives rock!

hikerhobs
03-28-2011, 21:21
I carry a swiss army knife , one- hand trekker with locking blade. Sharp blade and saw.

swjohnsey
03-28-2011, 22:00
Can't beat a Gerber LST for function and weight if all you are looking for is a knife. I am carrying a multi-tool, Leatherman Juice S2, quite a bit heavier but also more functions.

Penguin
03-28-2011, 22:35
Your lexon spoon will work for cutting most foods, and any packaging can be cut with your nail clipper. Other then that knives just add unneeded weight to your pack. Leave it at home, and try to find other items in your pack which are also unnecessary you will be surprised at how quickly the pounds come off your pack.

swjohnsey
03-28-2011, 23:07
Leave your pack at home and take your knife, the ultimate ultra-light hiker.

arthur.uscg
03-29-2011, 11:20
Gerber Paraframe with 1/2 serrated blade
It is light weight, locking, high carbin stainless, 1 handed opening (mini is 2 handed), weighs under 3 oz.
Add finger nail clippers or small scissors
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/92

Or
Gerber Suspension tool
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/92

jbwood5
03-29-2011, 11:35
3 inch swiss army type with sissors
This is what I use... basically a tiny pen knife with scissors for cutting blister tape. I have used the knife to cut briars from around an overgrown campsite so I could put my tent down and for cutting small rope or opening a foil or shrink wrap food package.

A heavy knife is too much weight. You'll curse it after a few days and might even pitch it or give it away.

achangeincourse
03-29-2011, 11:47
Get A Kershaw Skyline great knife about 2 ounces super sharp and its 34.95$ at wally world.

ocourse
03-29-2011, 21:36
http://www.leatherman.com/product/squirt_ps4
I like to have a knife, scissors, and pliers. There are other tools too, and the weight is 1.9 oz. Check ebay for a good price.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-30-2011, 02:41
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/0Wjyz6OvUNe4GSb7625L5-vy8A78jX8MFdstzOghgQGdzGteKHQLpfVKItthz8wbiP_FG11i KZqrQB79ImGXdC1Mp1Bw_uX31E6hwQB3MZ9Q3dNTFFmPo1omJe U0jdL3XuycnrC_2ArG4wDWt2AwNGPGKKm8ux0Xq5Q-NYIgnuDgIWcKiVHa
Swiss Army Classic

Nearly Normal
03-30-2011, 09:45

Small pocket knife just like everyone with any sense carries everyday.
Get one YOU can sharpen.
No more than 20 bucks and that would be high end for something you're gonna lose anyway if you don't keep it in your pocket.
It aint rocket science.
29 years old is plenty old enough to make simple decisions, if not, backpacking is probably not for you.