PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my socks!

SiuWonfung
01-16-2005, 17:44
I need help with my socks; what kinds are neccesary/work good, how many I will need, prefered colors, etcetera.
Also, what about wearing a baselayer sock, is this neccesary? And does anyone use GoreTex's baselayer socks for hiking in snow or in wetter conditions?

Are there any socks especially fitted for a foot with six toes?

saimyoji
01-16-2005, 18:53
10 characters

A-Train
01-16-2005, 19:17
The list of ingnored users is growing by the day....

verber
01-16-2005, 21:41
I need help with my socks; what kinds are neccesary/work good, how many I will need, prefered colors, etcetera.
Also, what about wearing a baselayer sock, is this neccesary? And does anyone use GoreTex's baselayer socks for hiking in snow or in wetter conditions?

What socks work well varies depending on individuals feet and shoes/boots. Since socks are cheap I would suggest you can experiment. Put socks on your feet. Walk 20 or 30 miles. Assess how your feet are at the end of the hike. Repeat until you find socks that work well for you.

As to wearing a baselayer sock. People's experience vary. There is data from the US Army Solider Center which indicates that a thick wool sock (fuzzy side out) with a thin polypro/coolmax inner sock reduces the odds of blisters by 3x when wearing military boots. I have had good luck with Wright DoubleSocks for three season trips and SealSkin wp/b socks and trailrunners for the snow. Your milage might vary.

--mark

Kerosene
01-17-2005, 10:17
As verber says, sock preferences are pretty varied.

However, here's a place to start experimenting. SmartWool midweight socks (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=2254&parent_category_rn=0&vcat=REI_SEARCH) over Fox River X-Static liner socks (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1022604&parent_category_rn=4501316). Note that there are heavier and lighter SmartWool socks available; you may decide on a different weight depending on how much room you have in your boots. The liner socks reduce much of the friction between a wet sock and your feet, significantly reducing the chance of blisters. I like liner socks because they dry much faster than a thicker sock and feel drier against my feet than damp SmartWools. Note that experienced hikers with well-fitted boots may choose to hike in only the outer socks, or even just a pair of nylon dress socks. I suggest that you start with wool over liners and experiment from there. My feet sweat (a lot) so I bring two pair of SmartWools and four pair of liners, swapping liners at least twice a day and the wool socks mid-day. SmartWools weigh about 4 ounces a pair, while the Fox River liners weigh 1.5 ounces a pair.

PKH
01-17-2005, 10:28
The list of ingnored users is growing by the day....

Oh yes indeed it is.

I never thought I would use that button . . . . .

Cheers,

PKH

hikerjohnd
01-17-2005, 10:35
Are there any socks especially fitted for a foot with six toes?
Does that help when you are running away from boars and yeti?

Mr. Clean
01-17-2005, 10:58
Someone please answer a question for me. If one uses the ignore button to block an individual, won't the flow of the thread be kinda interupted? I mean to say, if one persons posts aren't there, the thread won't make much sense, will it? I guess I could just try it and see for myself, but I'm not a fan of banning, and if a thread gets to be too much, I just quit reading it, or take it with a grain of salt.
I do get some amusement by some of these 'crazy' posts...

SGT Rock
01-17-2005, 11:21
I just hike with liner socks in most weather, even snow unless it is slushy and very cold, then I wear some goretex socks over a liner sock. I save my warm wool socks for camp.

Peaks
01-17-2005, 19:42
Generally speaking, almost any hiking sock will work just fine. Brand names include Smartwool, Thorlo, Ultramax, and several others. However, the natural fiber socks such as Smartwool will stink much less than synthetics such as Ultramax.

There is debate if a liner sock is needed or not. My opinion is that it can't hurt, and will probably help prevent blisters. Again, almost any liner sock will work.

I'd probably look more at price than a specific brand name.

Pencil Pusher
01-18-2005, 02:01
Amazing there are so many serious replies to someone inquiring about socks for people with six toes on each foot...:D