PDA

View Full Version : Problems with taking hiking/camping gear onto Airplanes?

Lumpy89
03-28-2011, 17:23
Has anyone had any issues taking their hiking and camping gear onto a commercial airliner? Steel pocket shovel, small pocket knife, tent with poles and stakes, small multi tool, fishing hooks, para cord and fishing line, small sewing kit that includes 2 needles and a small pair of scissors, a very small can opener, and tweezers. Anyone have a problem taking this stuff onto an airplane?

I've never been on a commercial jet so this is all new to me. I assume I won't be able to bring this as "carry on" but what about having them checked in?

Thanks

RayBan
03-28-2011, 17:34
This has been discussed to death, with various horror stories recounted involving seemingly different TSA standards being applied.

Best advice I've seen: either check the entire pack with whatever in it or make sure what you do carry on-board has nothing even remotely objectionable in it.

modiyooch
03-28-2011, 23:59
I would mail anything questionable ahead. I almost lost my stove. They wouldn't let me check it, so I carried it on the plane.

Blissful
03-29-2011, 10:14
Put it in a duffel bag and check it. Don't try to carry that stuff on.

Blissful
03-29-2011, 10:15
I would mail anything questionable ahead. I almost lost my stove. They wouldn't let me check it, so I carried it on the plane.

Really? In a checked bag? We had no issue at all with our pocket rocket, though I did put it in its red casing.

RayBan
03-29-2011, 10:32
I would mail anything questionable ahead.

Mailing questionable items ahead is also what I did.

tuswm
03-29-2011, 11:43
I would love to check my bags for the price of my ticket. I wish I didnt have to pay extra to check my bag.

We are doing the JMT this summer and we have a black duffel bag that will fit all out stuff. I want to carry on out back packs and tent poles so so that no delicate frames or tent poles get damaged. We have osprey atmos 65 so they collapsenice and small. I flan on putting any thing else fragile in my bear can.

Can I check my pocket knife in my bag?

Afroman
03-30-2011, 12:36
Lately, everytime I have been to the airports I have had issues and they have had to search my bags. Some people get away with everything, but me and my harmless hiking equipment and such always gets checked thoroghly, I am an avid traveler but if I don't have to (less than 24 hours or 1000 miles) I would prefer the open road.

tuswm
03-30-2011, 13:22
what if you try and walk on with something that they dont like? like my tent poles? They are fragile and I dont want them with the heavy baggage. what do they do with things they dont let you carry on?

Ox97GaMe
03-30-2011, 19:35
They will question items that can be deemed as weapons and will remove any items that are an explosive hazard.

No fuel bottles, even empty, unless they are brand new. Used bottles still emit the fuel odor and can set off the explosives detectors. If they find them, they will be removed.

I have had issues with my Lekki's before. Now I pull them apart and stick them down teh outside sleeve of my pack. I also have a large duffle that I put my pack in for travel so that any straps or pouches dont get caught on the conveyer system and get ripped.

They will not allow knives of any type and they may question a Leatherman.

I dont know about tent poles. I have always just put them in my loaded pack (in the duffle) and never had an issue.

Ox97GaMe
03-30-2011, 19:36
*** no knives in your carry-on. In your pack or checked luggage isnt usually an issue.

tuswm
03-30-2011, 20:54
checked luggage = everything including stove and knives

carry on = empty back packs and tent poles (TT poles are longer that normal and I dont think will fit in my bear can.

Majortrauma
03-30-2011, 20:56
DO NOT even try to bring that aboard an aircraft. Check it as baggage!! You'll lose the entire pack.