PDA

View Full Version : Tips for shaving off those extra ounces and pounds..

SiuWonfung
01-16-2005, 17:55
On my last hike, one of hiking buddies suggested this great tip for saving some weight. and now i will pass it onto you.
Shave off all of your body hair (your head, eyebrows, leg and arm hair, etcetera. This will not only lighten your load, but reduce shafing AND increase aerodynamics!

please share with us your obscure, little known tip(s) that you use to save some weight. >>

saimyoji
01-16-2005, 18:20
Cut off your head: you'll lose at least 10 lbs of UGLY FAT.:D

UCONNMike
01-16-2005, 21:31
please stop posting.

titanium_hiker
01-16-2005, 22:04
BOTH of you 's' people. Unless it is a serious matter.

titanium

RITBlake
01-16-2005, 22:12
Whiteblaze could loose some dead weight by banning a few of its members. What a waste of everyones time.

neo
01-17-2005, 14:59
I carried a 60 lb combat pack on the georgia section in may 2001,60lbs after i left my tent in my car,i met hungry howie that night at plumb orhard shelter
he was the first ultra light hiker i met,my next hike,i cut my weight in half.my favorite pack now is my equinox katahdin 1 lb 8 oz,my hennesey hammock
with my jacks are better 8x8 tarp wieghs 2 lbs 4oz,my 25 degree exped wallcreeper wieghs 2 lbs 4oz.my 25x50 in rei pad wieghs 6 oz,pack never exceeds 22 lbs.i have lighter gear,this my favorite long haul gear.:sun neo

Footslogger
01-17-2005, 15:06
One of the best and most informative things I ever did in terms of attempting to cut ounces from my pack was to create a weight based spread sheet. Maybe I'm just a "visual" person, but that brought it all home for me. I listed each item that I could possibly take with me on a hike. I set up the formulas so that I could go down the list and select one or more of a given item and the spreadsheet would display a running total weight. It was a sort of "Virtual Backpack".

At one time I used to rationalize that I carried a lot of extra stuff but the extra things only weighed a couple ounces each. Well ...8 of those items added up to a pound and I had a lot more than 8 of those little "extras" in my pack.

Anyhew ...it worked for me.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Pencil Pusher
01-17-2005, 18:04
Eh, lose some of that flab you carry around. This is the greatest source of all the 'extra' weight everyone carries, despite their testament to the titanium god.

titanium_hiker
01-17-2005, 18:46
no kidding. I just saw footage of myself. I swear I will never touch a chocolate bar again. :)

googling healthy snacks as we speak (besides the fruit/veg stuff)

Peaks
01-17-2005, 19:27
About the only weight you will save is the weight of a comb. But, to compensate, you will need to bring along a hat, both to keep from getting sun burned, and also to keep your head warm.