PDA

View Full Version : Please help this NEWBIE

goody5534
03-29-2011, 00:47
Are hammocks warmer than tenting and can a hammock be used in conjunction with a sleeping bag? Please explain...tvm

goody5534
03-29-2011, 00:47
Where in the northeast can u buy one, or is it just online?

Hooch
03-29-2011, 01:16
I'd like to redirect you to Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net), the sister site of WhiteBlaze. Make sure you tell 'em Hooch sent ya. :D

C Seeker
03-29-2011, 07:26
Hooch is right, hammockforums.net is the way to go. Anything and everything you want to know or didn't know they have. Also just keep your eyes open on the website you may be able to find someone selling there hammock for a good price. Happy Hammocking

GvilleDave
03-29-2011, 09:42
Short answer - depends on how you insulate... Because you are hanging in the air cold air can blow under you. You've seen road signs that say "bridge freezes before road"? Well you butt can too if you don't insulate underneath you in a hammock.

In a tent you do the same thing w/ a pad on the ground but your weight compresses the pad and you can lose insulating properties and comfort. In a hammock the pads or underquilts are beneath you but suspended above the ground and do not compress. These combined w/ a top quilt or sleeping bag make hammocking even in deep winter conditions possible and even warm.

Check out HammockForums.net and you will find answers & pictures & videos that describe all of these ideas and much more...

Country Roads
04-02-2011, 19:45
Definitely head for the hammock forums/site. There is tons of great stuff there and lots of videos. I have already learned lots. I actually think I can set it up and not hit the ground the first time I get in it, All due to the great stuff on the Hammock forums.

Montana Mac
04-02-2011, 19:55
Short answer - depends on how you insulate... Because you are hanging in the air cold air can blow under you. You've seen road signs that say "bridge freezes before road"? Well you butt can too if you don't insulate underneath you in a hammock.

In a tent you do the same thing w/ a pad on the ground but your weight compresses the pad and you can lose insulating properties and comfort. In a hammock the pads or underquilts are beneath you but suspended above the ground and do not compress. These combined w/ a top quilt or sleeping bag make hammocking even in deep winter conditions possible and even warm.

Check out HammockForums.net and you will find answers & pictures & videos that describe all of these ideas and much more...

I am NOT a "hanger" but wouldn't your body weight still compress the pad between your butt and the hammock? :-?

jerseydave
04-02-2011, 20:11
I am NOT a "hanger" but wouldn't your body weight still compress the pad between your butt and the hammock? :-?

Underquilts are hung under the hammock, not in between you and the hammock.

Montana Mac
04-02-2011, 20:15
Thanks JerseyDave - like I said not a "hanger" but now I understand.

kayak karl
04-02-2011, 20:27
no, not if its in a sleeve or suspended.

Toolshed
04-02-2011, 20:31
In addition to jersey Dave & Kayak Karl's responses, I use a closed cell foam (CCF) Pad (Blue Wally World) with the corners cut rounded to fit the hammock better. you cannot easily compress CCF. I typically keep my bag on top of me and lay on teh CCF.The only downside is that you sweat on the CCF and in cooler weather it can get mildly uncomfortable. I have thought about graduating over the past few years to a underquilt, but I still tend to go to ground below freezing.

gunner76
04-03-2011, 12:18
I am NOT a "hanger" but wouldn't your body weight still compress the pad between your butt and the hammock?

Underquilts (UQ) are hung underneath and in close contact with the hammock but do not compress because they are under the hammock.

Pads are placed in the hammock and while you sleep on them, they do not (or barely) compress. Pads work better in a double layered hammock as the double layers helps (does not stop them from shifting but helps) to keep them from shifting. I just back from an overnight hang with temps in the low 40s and slept fine using a wallyword blue pad. I have used the blue pad down to 18 degrees

If I used a single layered hammock I would go with a UQ.

An issue is cost. a blue pad at wallyworld it $13 versus a UQ which start at $200 and up (unless you make your own).

Both work, just a matter of your budget and what works best for you.