PDA

View Full Version : June GSMNP Advice

03-29-2011, 08:26
I have seen several threads, but we are planning a Tue-Sun hike of the whole park in June without stopping in Gatlinburg.

We are thinking 18 mile days, is that reasonable?

Seems like the shelters are spaced odd and there are no campsites listed on my guidebook other than shelters, are there other places to camp?

What would good daily goals be to come out mid-day sunday?

I know this is a lot of ????, just want to make sure we are prepared.

Thanks

chelko
03-29-2011, 09:27
18 mile days through the smokies, unless you are in thru hiker shape you would have to be a STUD. Most shelters are 6-7 miles apart there. 12-14 mile days with a short 7 miler in there would be good. What's the hurry. It's the smokies, enjoy the hike.

Kermitt
03-29-2011, 09:43
I agree there are some rough areas, enjoy every moment it a beautiful park.

chelko
03-29-2011, 09:47
here is how I would approach it. Not that you asked but. Park at Standing Bear Farm and have Curtis shuttle you Fontana Dam.

Day 1 Fontana to Mollies Ridge 8.8 miles all uphill.
Day 2 Mollies Ridge to Derrick Knob 10.3 miles nice hike with some climbs
Day 3 Derrick Knob to Mt. Collins 12.5 miles should have trail legs by now
Day 4 Mt Collins to Pecks Corner 15.1 miles overall level or downhill
Day 5 Pecks Corner to Cosby 12.8 very nice stroll going down
Day 6 Cosby to Standing Bear Farm 10.7 miles don't miss the side trip to Mt Cammerer.

Standing Bear Farm is a wonderful hostel about 3 miles outside the park right off the AT.
Curtis Owen at Standing bear Farm 423-487-0014

jbwood5
03-29-2011, 11:21
If you have a heavy pack and it is a warm day, this will be tough. Add in biting black flies and it might get even tougher. I did the exact same plan on a June day a few years back and it was very tough. About half way through, about 3:30 in the afternoon, I remember wishing that I should have planned shorter days. But you never know how it will turn out. Hoprfully you will have cooler weather and a lighter pack than I did. Also, I was not in top shape since I started my section from Fontana without the benefit of several days of hiking (conditioning).

OldFeet
03-29-2011, 11:25
here is how I would approach it. Not that you asked but. Park at Standing Bear Farm and have Curtis shuttle you Fontana Dam.

Day 1 Fontana to Mollies Ridge 8.8 miles all uphill.
Day 2 Mollies Ridge to Derrick Knob 10.3 miles nice hike with some climbs
Day 3 Derrick Knob to Mt. Collins 12.5 miles should have trail legs by now
Day 5 Pecks Corner to Cosby 12.8 very nice stroll going down
Day 6 Cosby to Standing Bear Farm 10.7 miles don't miss the side trip to Mt Cammerer.

Standing Bear Farm is a wonderful hostel about 3 miles outside the park right off the AT.
Curtis Owen at Standing bear Farm 423-487-0014

I did this in reverse last year starting at Davenport Gap and hiking south to Fontana Dam and found it to be very managable in terms of the daily mileage. Chelko is spot on about the side trip to Mt. Cammerer. There are great 360 degree views from the firetower which made a great lunch stop.

03-29-2011, 13:20
Great info guys. I have never packed 6 days food supply. I am a bit nervous about 12lbs of food along with my other stuff.

Rockefeller
03-29-2011, 13:41
You do have to stay at shelters on the AT thru the park. If you know your dates go ahead and get your reservations as some of the shelters fill up quick in the summer. The hardest part of your hike will be the climb up to the main crest. After reaching the high-country there will be a couple tough spots but nothing too bad (although Briar knob is a bitch going south). By going in the summer you should be able to go light which will speed up your pace but remember to "stop and smell the roses". Spend time at Shuckstack, Rocky Top, Charlie's Bunion and Mount Cammerer.
I'm in the Smokies about every week so let me know if you need any specific details. Btw I'm thinking about doing an Ultra-light trip thru the Smokies this summer. Maybe I'll see you out there.

TIDE-HSV
04-02-2011, 15:07
After reaching the high-country there will be a couple tough spots but nothing too bad (although Briar knob is a bitch going south).

Wowie, is that ever an understatement. I climbed that SOB while ill with the flu and that was the longest day of my life...

aaronthebugbuffet
04-02-2011, 20:52
18 miles a day for 6 days, has the AT in GSMNP been lengthened?

TIDE-HSV
04-05-2011, 19:45

That's not how I remember that stretch. That's not level, climbing back up out of Newfound Gap.

Ox97GaMe
04-05-2011, 22:04
Tide is correct. There is a gradual climb of 3 miles out of NFG. The stretch between Charlies Bunyon and False Gap is a bit of a roller coaster.

Total distance is 70 miles. you want out mid-day the last day and probably need to have shuttle around park the first day (plus travel from home to park?). This would give the equivilant of 5 days hiking. Averaging 14 miles a day will get you close to where you want to be. The issue is that the shelters are not exactly 14 miles apart.

Definitely plan for hot and dry in June. It might not be dry on the ridgeline, but it isnt beyond the realm of possibility either.

Have a fun and safe hike in the park.

06-11-2011, 13:23
We left out Tues at Fontana and made it to Icewater on Thursday. My hiking parners feet gave out on him between blisters and soreness. We were caught in 2 storms, which at 6000 ft were scary.... We plan on picking back up at NF gap and going to I40 soon.

The biting flies were BAD... Saw one Copperhead, Turkey, Deers and of coarse, Chipmunks. THe climbs were challenging and fun. My pack was around 38 lbs, perfect. I do need to understand how to keep my feet dry in a storm. I have the Vasque boots, but they are not waterproof, i was told to not get waterproof boots becasue of sweaty feet.

I want to get back out there, thanks for all the info....

HooKooDooKu
06-13-2011, 10:35
...Seems like the shelters are spaced odd and there are no campsites listed on my guidebook other than shelters, are there other places to camp?

You can download the backcountry trail map (showing all the camp sites) at the GSMNP web site http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Additionally, if you use Google Earth, the trails and campsites are shown there as well (though compare any planned routes with the latest trail map, some of the trails shown on Google Earth are old unmaintained trails, and a select few camp sites have been moved). Under the "Layers" section, you have to make sure you have "More" / "Parks/Recreation Areas" / "US National Parks" / "Trails" Checked.