PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness Question

Kepley
03-29-2011, 13:04
Could someone out there tell me more about the 100 mile wilderness. From what I understand, its actually 117.8 miles from Katahdin to Monson, which is the first town. Is this correct? Do I need to carry 9 days of food if I average 13 miles a day? If there are stores before Monson, where are they?

Kepley
03-29-2011, 13:28
Also, does anyone have a really good understanding on the clothing requirements in Maine for a June 1st start? Is a short sleeve shirt, fleece, and rain jacket good enough? Are gloves necessary?

Shutterbug
03-29-2011, 13:39
Also, does anyone have a really good understanding on the clothing requirements in Maine for a June 1st start? Is a short sleeve shirt, fleece, and rain jacket good enough? Are gloves necessary?

Technically, the 100 Mile Wilderness doesn't start until you cross the Golden Road. It ends when you reach the highway just outside of Monson.

There is a general store with some supplies at Abol Bridge on the Golden Road just before you enter the wilderness. There is also an opportunity to resupply at White House Landing, but I don't know if it will be open the first week of June.

Clothing requirements for June are "layers." One year, I was there for a snow storm in the middle of June. The snow will not yet have completely melted on the mountain tops, but the steams will be running high from the snow melt.

Check with Baxter State Park because Mt. Katahdin may not be open for hikers by June 1. Many years, it doesn't open until later in June.

Lord Helment
03-29-2011, 13:53
i agree with shutterbug...i have been through the 100 mile wilderness 5 times and his advice is right on...i typically carry 8 days woth of food....fyi you have to make reservations to camp in baxter state park...i recommend a site for the night before and after your climb of katahdin...i am southbounding this year and am leaving in early july to hopefully avoid the blackflys.....best wishes on your hike

Cookerhiker
03-29-2011, 14:24
White House Landing is a nice place for a bed, dinner, and breakfast. I went there on my NOBO section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117259).

However, resupply opportunities are very limited. WHL does not accept maildrops and I don't recall seeing much in their store stock. Also WHL is only 2 days' hike beyond Abol Bridge.

The best part about WHL is one less breakfast & dinner needed in your backpack. As others have said, make sure they're open before you plan on stopping there.

10-K
03-29-2011, 14:28
White House Landing was open last June....

Migrating Bird
03-29-2011, 14:33
Ben's in the bottle & headnet. Black flies won't be out early & late in the day or at night. Most likely too early for skeeters. Last year was a total exception, low water, no mud and no bugs from 5/29 to 6/6 when I hiked it. Expect and enjoy the rain. When you get to Monson, stay at Shaw's for awesome hospitality and legendary breakfasts. There are a number of places to bail if you have to. Contact Sue at Shaw's she knows the area very well and can get in to get you out if need be.

Skid.
03-29-2011, 15:29
My daughter thru hiked in 2002, she started June 1 in a snowstorm on Katahdin. Be ready for anything weather-wise.

SouthMark
03-29-2011, 15:38
WHL is up for sale so don't know if it will be open. If it is it is a great place to stop. Good pizza, one pond cheeseburger, and more including fresh vegetables. Breakfast include in price of stay. Resupply not bad. Decent selection when I stopped there last August.

Cookerhiker
03-29-2011, 16:03
...However, resupply opportunities are very limited. WHL does not accept maildrops and I don't recall seeing much in their store stock. ...

...Resupply not bad. Decent selection when I stopped there last August.

South Mark's experience was more recent than mine so disregard what I said (about resupply, that is;)).

johnnyjohnson2043
03-29-2011, 17:01
What should I be expecting in September/October time period? I'll be leaving GA in a little over a week and am trying to get an idea of conditions in the Northeast. The Weather Channel's website gives averages ranging from the 50's and 60's to the 30's and 40's. If there are early summer snow storms I'd assume that early autumn ones wouldn't be out of the question.

Kepley
03-29-2011, 17:24
Thanks everybody! Shutterbug, I'll be sure to stop at the general store at Abol bridge on the golden road (yellow brick?). Truly a lifesaver.

One more thing, does anybody know the exact location of the ranger station near park tote road or Katahdin Stream Campground? I heard that they hold backpacks for hikers and give out day packs to allow hikers to hike with less weight.

TJ aka Teej
03-29-2011, 18:15
Thanks everybody! Shutterbug, I'll be sure to stop at the general store at Abol bridge on the golden road (yellow brick?). Truly a lifesaver.

One more thing, does anybody know the exact location of the ranger station near park tote road or Katahdin Stream Campground? I heard that they hold backpacks for hikers and give out day packs to allow hikers to hike with less weight.

The Ranger's cabin is inside Katahdin Stream Campground, just across a footbridge from the AT which goes right through KSC. Those day packs were the Ranger's idea, and he's donated almost all of them himself.

Check your guidebooks for resupply options in the 100 Mile

slugger
03-29-2011, 18:24

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/Camping/campmaps/Katahdin_Stream_08.pdf

Shutterbug
03-29-2011, 18:28
What should I be expecting in September/October time period? I'll be leaving GA in a little over a week and am trying to get an idea of conditions in the Northeast. The Weather Channel's website gives averages ranging from the 50's and 60's to the 30's and 40's. If there are early summer snow storms I'd assume that early autumn ones wouldn't be out of the question.

October is my favorite time to hike in the wilderness. There is always a chance of an early snow, but most of the time October is great hiking. I have hiked as late as the third week of October.

The temperatures at night drops to around freezing, but the days are ideal for hiking. Depending on the year, the leaves start changing colors around the middle of September and the color continues through October.

One of my favorite things about hiking in the fall is listening to the loons at night. There is nothing like camping at Antler's Camp and falling to sleep listening to the song of the loons. Sunrises at Antler's or Rainbow Lake are outstanding.

Every time I have hiked in the fall I have seen a moose or two. In the fall, their racks are majestic. It adds to the adventure.

In September/October the streams and rivers are usually low and easy to cross.

No problem with bugs.

Shutterbug
03-29-2011, 18:47

The Golden Road isn't "yellow brick" but you have the right concept. It is called the "Golden Road" because it was expensive to build. It is a private road that was built by the logging companies. It is open to the public, but the logging trucks still have right of way. Be sure to look both ways when crossing the Golden Road because those logging trucks can't stop quickly.

For those who want to see a moose, the Golden Road is a great place to look. One weekend in June, I saw 44 moose in the area between Millinocket and Greenville. Several of them were along the Golden Road.

brian039
03-29-2011, 19:18
Just so you know Abol Bridge isn't much of a resupply so make sure you buy supplies before getting there. Hopefully White House Landing will be open because it's a great resupply and a good place to take a rest. You have to blow an air horn (he gets really pissed if you blow it more than once) and they come to pick you up in a boat.

The trail is pretty rooty but mostly flat in the beginning if you're hiking SOBO. The mountain range at the Southern end is pretty tough so be prepared. You'll definitely want some gloves for Katahdin and I'd probably hold on to them all the way through the Whites. You may end up not needing them but it really sucks if you need them and don't have them. The 100-mile is one of the best parts of the trail along with the Saddlebacks and the Bigelows. It was really awesome to finish a NOBO thru in Maine, I can't imagine finishing a thru on Springer, lol.

bobqzzi
03-29-2011, 21:05
Can someone tell me how far into the wilderness (going NB) Jo Mary Road is? Anybody had Shaws (or someone) meet you there for resupply?

Shutterbug
03-29-2011, 22:26
Can someone tell me how far into the wilderness (going NB) Jo Mary Road is? Anybody had Shaws (or someone) meet you there for resupply?

I don't remember the mileage, but Jo Mary Road is a few hours south of White House Landing. I remember staying at White House Landing then reaching Jo Mary Road about noon of the following day.

Some of my friends met me there. It is a reasonable place to get a resupply.

I have arranged a shuttle from Shaws to the Gulf Hagas parking lot. Their prices are reasonable. If it were me, I would consider Gulf Hagas as the point of resupply rather than Jo Mary. It is closer to the half-way point.

Boarstone, a frequent participant here, provides resupply at several locations in the 100 Mile Wilderness. You can contact her by private message on this forum. Boarstone is extremely knowledgeable about the 100 Mile Wilderness and gladly answers questions.

bobqzzi
03-29-2011, 23:00
Hey, thanks very much! I will contact Boarstone. I was thinking of doing the Gulf of Hagas as an add on. About how much mileage does it add?

earlyriser26
03-29-2011, 23:11
Hiked half the wilderness last October. It was great. Best time of year IMO. Days were perfect for hiking, nights were a little chilly, but not bad. No bugs at all. Rivers are low that time of year, but that doesn't mean you won't get wet. Lots of rock hops and some with no rocks. My hiking partner took a swim in Hurd brook when he missed a rock. There are more water crossings in the wilderness without bridges than I remember on any section of the AT.

Shutterbug
03-29-2011, 23:56
Hey, thanks very much! I will contact Boarstone. I was thinking of doing the Gulf of Hagas as an add on. About how much mileage does it add?

If you do the Gulf Hagas loop, it adds about 8 miles. I suggest that rather than doing the loop, do an out and back on the south half. All of the beauty is on the south half of the loop.

If it is raining, be very careful. The Gulf Hagas loop crosses a lot of bare rock. The granite gets very slick when it is wet. A couple of years ago, I took two hard falls on the south side.

Here is a link to my pictures from 2009, which include some pictures from Gulf Hagas --

https://picasaweb.google.com/naznetmcclung/100MileWilderness#

The Flatulator
03-30-2011, 14:17
More information is available at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Plan for the rain and plan for the cold. The weather in Maine can be just as harsh as the terrain. I have seen it snow in the higher elevations in both July and August.

TJ aka Teej
03-30-2011, 19:41
More information is available at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

Cool site, Flatulater, good luck!
I gave my Companion away - did we list you?

bobqzzi
03-30-2011, 20:29
More information is available at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Plan for the rain and plan for the cold. The weather in Maine can be just as harsh as the terrain. I have seen it snow in the higher elevations in both July and August.

Thanks for the link

Blissful
03-31-2011, 12:53
It can also get hotter than Hades there too. We had 90 last year in early July. you never know
I saw no trouble with resupply at Abol Bridge. You could likely get a ride out of the Gulf Hagas lot too and resupply in Greenville which also has an outfitter with a fairly good selection of gear. We had a guy able to get a ride back and forth. But be prepared to pay the fee to get back in on the logging road as a courtesy. Then there is resupply at White House Landing