PDA

View Full Version : Trail suggestions

enurdat1
03-29-2011, 16:26
I am planning on taking my sons, 10 and 12 for their first overnighter next week. They have done multiple day hikes up to 12 miles without any problems. Thought about the approach trail, but figure it will be pretty busy. Any suggetsions for a good trail, camping allowed, 5-8 miles in and out, or a loop around 10-16 miles? We will be leaving from Atlanta, so something no more than a 4 hr drive. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. My brain has given up on me.....

ScottP
03-29-2011, 16:28
This time of year you'll want to look off the AT. There's a lot of trails out there.

Enjoy!

jesse
03-29-2011, 16:29
Panther Creek Falls Trail, in the Cohutta Wilderness.

OnlyJohn
03-29-2011, 16:33
Why don't you take a look at the Bear Hair trail at Vogel State Park? There is camping and the trail begins and ends in the park. It is even on your way home if you go through Blairsville, GA to Murphy, NC and then to Robbinsville.

gastateparks.org/Vogel-Hiking

Only John

johnhump
03-29-2011, 17:42
i personally love neels gap to tesnattee gap(sorry for spelling) my dad took me when i was that age. its around 5 miles. great camping spot near tesnatee gap. once you get within a mile of tesnatee gap you should be going down a rock face. if i can remember correctly you should see a blue blazed trail but if you dont just move to the right. you should see a path. follow the path about a 100 yards or so and you should get to this cliff face. the sunrise comes up right in front of your face. best camping spot ive ever camped in georgia

daddytwosticks
03-29-2011, 19:17
Hi neighbor...Standing Indian loop. It's more than 16 miles but not too strenuous. :)

enurdat1
03-30-2011, 20:11
Thanks for all the suggestions.
DT