PDA

View Full Version : stikstool

DROY
03-29-2011, 19:16
have any of you guys had any experience with the stikstool? its a hiking stick that turns into a tripod chair. it seems pretty interesting but im wondering if its worth it. (i.e. too heavy, falls apart, etc.) thanks.

Skidsteer
03-29-2011, 21:18
It weighs as much as my tent and has more parts to lose.

No thanks, I like logs, rocks and the ground.

azb
03-30-2011, 10:13
I can see it's value if;

1 You are carrying a hiking stick anyway

2 And you have lower back/knee/hip issues

I just sit in my hammock or on a log. But if I was going for a short weekend hike with the priority on being with friends, it would probably be worth carrying. But for long hikes, not so much.

Az

Terrapathic
04-02-2011, 07:43
I have one and love it. I use it on long and short trips. What I carry in my pack weighs less than 5 ounces. I also carry my tent in my backpack and not in my hands. My one person, two person, three person, four person and five person tent all weigh more than the Stikstool. I prefer not to sit on the ground and I have not lost a part yet. And I have backpacked enough to know you don't know what the campsite will be like until you get there.
I really do like my Stikstool and no problems yet.

Bags4266
04-02-2011, 08:25
If your handy in sewing you can make a small hammock just for sitting in. Use a piece of ripstop any size you want (according to the size of your arse) approx 3.5 x 2.5 feet gather the ends with some paracord and your good to go. Mine weighs only a few oz and I use it when I'm tenting.

sbhikes
04-02-2011, 08:28
Note that the above shill for Stikstool has only one post.

I am 63" high and the stikstool is 62" high and weighs more than a pound and a half. It does look like an interesting thing, however its usefulness to me as a hiking stick for hiking in the actual wilderness is highly in doubt.

Terrapathic
04-02-2011, 20:44
My wife is only 60" and uses a Stikstool. She is very happy with hers. I fail to understand your reasoning.

I'm guessing I'll have a third post as well.

Terrapathic
04-02-2011, 20:45
How much does your current hiking stick weigh?

leaftye
04-02-2011, 21:17
That thing is heavier than my tent and 0°F quilt combined. If you're doing a long hike, an easily accessible tyvek ground sheet or ccf sit pad, your pack and a rock/tree make a great chair. Another thing to look at is a hammock chair.

Terrapathic
04-03-2011, 08:02
I would like to see a tent that weighs less than 5 ounces. Why take a tent? You can ditch more weight by ditching that tent. I camp in all places in all weather. Some campsites you need to bring your own rock or tree. Way to much work. To each his or her own. I am not comfortable sitting on the ground. I enjoy a little pain while exercising but not while relaxing.