PDA

View Full Version : Solo Backpacking Tents

trailfinder
01-16-2005, 23:43
Just returned from a brief track along the AT from Max Patch to Davenport Gap. Used my 2 man Marmot Swallow. Good tent for one person and gear, but too heavy; approximately 8 lbs. Has anyone used the TRIG 2 Shelter by GoLite? The approximate weight is a little over 2 lbs. Any suggestions? Thanks!:-?

aaronthebugbuffet
01-17-2005, 00:53
I am not familiar with the go-lite tents. Check out some of those Henry Shire tents they look pretty sweet. I use a Integral Designs Sil Shelter and it works for me. I started using it 2 years ago. There might be better tarps or tents out there, but I got it as a present so I'll stick with it.

Ramble~On
01-17-2005, 06:52
Trailfinder,

I have a Go Lite Trig II. You can find a few write ups on it in the gear review forum. IMO it is a good "worth the money" tent.

If you have any questions about it or want more info....just ask.

neo
01-17-2005, 07:15
i have a brawny tarp tent 42 inches high,48 inches wide,9 ft long,wieghs 22oz

looks new,i will sell it for 120.00,i am more into hammock camping now.only
used it a couple times,i will pay shipping and throw in the ground cloth.it has sewn in floor,and bug netting,:sun neo

Stuart
01-17-2005, 09:29
I'll second the idea to look at Henry Shires TarpTents @ tarptent.com. The Squall is a 2 person tarp tent that weighs right at 2 pounds. It is fairly roomy and very easy to set up.

Kerosene
01-17-2005, 10:27
I'd definitely take a look at one of the single-wall tents from Henry Shires (http://www.tarptent.com) or Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com), especially if you're going solo. It's a great way to shed 3-6 pounds of weight from your pack (1.5 to 2.5 pounds total).

NICKTHEGREEK
01-17-2005, 11:21
I like alot of space in a tent and look for the smaller 2 person tents around 27-33 sq ft for me my pack and yes, sometimes my mutt.
I think that among the new tents this year, that the Black Diamond Firstlight rreally stands out. Made of Event and sil nylon it's a free standing 2 pole semi-dome with 27 sq ft at 3 lbs full up, 2 lbs 9 oz stripped. For me this is just about the perfect size and weight for a single person and his gear. At 42 inches at the peak, there's plenty of room to sit up. Essentially it's a lightweight version of the Bibler I Tent, a really tough true mountaineering shelter. This design sets up really fast, stake out the 4 corners, jump inside and pop the poles into the corner holders and you're there. It has some serious guy-out points for when the breeze pipes up and a guy out eyebrow over the door so you can leave it partially open for venting in the rain

I have some reservations about EVent as far as waterproofing, and wonder about how durable sil nylon floors are, but I always loved Bibler and wished I could afford one. At $299.00 it's reasonable to me particularly when compared to similar high quality single walls from Mountain Hardwear and the bigger Shires tarptents.
My second choice by the way would be the MH Waypoint 2, a little bigger(33 sq ft), an ounce or 2 heavier, and about $50.00 less. Sets up really nice if you have plenty of space to stake it and guy it out really tight.

trailfinder
01-17-2005, 12:29
Thanks Gentlemen! You have given me some really great information.