PDA

View Full Version : seam sealant

DawgU
03-29-2011, 21:19
I have a MSR Hubba Hubba. The factory tape on the seams is coming loose in several areas and my tent is leaking a lot. I have several questions:

1. Which product should I use? Seam Grip is for uncoated and coated polyurethane fabrics. Silnet is for silicone treated fabrics. My tent fabric is described as rip stop nylon that is both silicone and polyurethane coated. I want whatever is going to be the best longest lasting product.

2. Do I need to try and remove the glue residue left where the tape used to be?

3. When I apply the sealant should I press the tape back into place (into the sealant) or just remove it?

4. Should I try to pull the tape loose on the other seams or just leave it and wait for it to fail, or seal the edges of the tape?

5. When I do all this stuff do you think it will be waterproof, or should I consider purchasing a new tent?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate any input!

DawgU
03-31-2011, 06:25
The folks at MSR where quick to respond to my questions. Here's what they said:

1. Seam Grip is our choice.

2. Yes, per the instructions with Seam Grip

3. Cut away any portions of the tape that have come completely away from the material that they were glued to. Don't actually peel away anything that is still glued in place. When applying the Seam Grip, paint it onto the taped portion, with your stroke going from a taped section to a non-taped (tape removed) section. That way your stroke won't grab a flap of the old tape and start peeling it up as well.

4. No, seal the outside seams on the fly if you're worried about those seams leaking in the future.

5. You should be fine again once the seams are sealed.