PDA

View Full Version : Smokies Reservations???

r4m
03-29-2011, 22:12
Do thru hikers have to make reservations in the Smokies?
If so....how does it accomodate all the thru hikers?
thanks
Bill

SmokyMtn Hiker
03-29-2011, 22:42
Thru hikers DO NOT have to make reservations at shelters as long as you are HIKING in from at least 50 miles away. The only thing the NPS ask is that you must give space to hikers with a reservation.

r4m
03-29-2011, 22:48
Thanks for the info!!

Pedaling Fool
03-30-2011, 08:48
Do thru hikers have to make reservations in the Smokies?
If so....how does it accomodate all the thru hikers?
thanks
Bill

Thru hikers DO NOT have to make reservations at shelters as long as you are HIKING in from at least 50 miles away. The only thing the NPS ask is that you must give space to hikers with a reservation.
That's true about the shelter reservation policy. However, don't forget to fill out a backcountry permit, which everyone needs. Not a big deal and quick and easy process at the fontana dam marina. I've never been asked to produce my permit, but it's one of those murphy law things...

BTW, that soda machine at the marina is a decoy; there are no sodas, its only purpose is to take money from hikers:D

Blissful
03-30-2011, 11:24
Just get your little ol' permit at Fontana Dam and hike on.

jbwood5
03-30-2011, 12:01
That's true about the shelter reservation policy. However, don't forget to fill out a backcountry permit, which everyone needs. Not a big deal and quick and easy process at the fontana dam marina. I've never been asked to produce my permit, but it's one of those murphy law things...

BTW, that soda machine at the marina is a decoy; there are no sodas, its only purpose is to take money from hikers:D

Last April the permit box at Fontana was so jammed full you could not squeeze another permit in the box and we saw a few filled out ones on the ground blowing around.
I really question the purpose of the backcountry permit system in the Smokies.

On the other hand, in SNP, the ranger came around twice and checked everyones permit. One guy got a ticket for not having one, and he made a couple of people leave the overflow tent area next to a full shelter because there were more than the allowed number of people there. I heard him tell a hiker to go a quarter mile up and pitch his tent something like 200 feet from the trail in the woods.

r4m
03-30-2011, 16:04
I assume that the permit registration at Fontana Dam Marina is pretty much self service?
Doesn't have to be anyone present?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Pedaling Fool
03-30-2011, 17:59
I assume that the permit registration at Fontana Dam Marina is pretty much self service?
Doesn't have to be anyone present?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Yes, completely self service; everything is done at a kiosk-type setup, which is not designed to be manned.

r4m
03-30-2011, 18:07
Thanks again.

Yes, completely self service; everything is done at a kiosk-type setup, which is not designed to be manned.

Ox97GaMe
03-30-2011, 19:27
The park recommends that all thru hikers pick up a permit at Fontana (or Big Creek) to carry with them through the park. Pick up the permit at the kiosk and write 'Thru-Hiker' across it. The ridgerunners and rangers may ask to see your permit. It is more for tracking usage in the park, not to try to 'bust' someone for not having one. That information is also helpful to the ATC for identifying % of hikers that make it to Fontana each spring.

Have a great hike.

r4m
03-30-2011, 20:03
Thanks again.
Actually it is my son doing the hike. I wish I was going too, but work and family obligations won't permit at this time of my life. Maybe some other time though!
I'll probably meet him somewhere along the way to hike a section. Possibly Mt Rogers.
That is a favorite spot for us as we hiked it a few times while he was growing up.