PDA

View Full Version : My finalized gear list - please feel free to comment and critique.

mcskinney
03-30-2011, 02:20
I'd love ALL your comments and feedback... and insults.

I just finished weighing everything on my postal scale. Thanks for that suggestion by the way, can't remember who suggested the walmart scale. Anyway, I've accounted for every little piece of lint in my pack so the totals are correct.

Big 4

Western Mountaineering summerlite 32* + Event drysak 21.9
Thermarest Neo-Air regulat + sil sak 14.2
Golite Shangra-la 1 + stakes 20.6
Golite Nest + stakes 17.25
Granite Gear Vapor Trail + GG lid + GG waist and sternum pockets 40.6
Total = 113.74 oz

Kitchen

Snow Peak 700 Ti pot & lid 4.55
Caldera Cone + Caddy + stove 4.6
Sea to summit knife/fork/spoon 1.3
40ft line + mini biner + 15L drybag (food/Bear bag) 3.55
8x10" cutting mat + sponge piece + nylon scraper .7
spice bottle .3
fuel bottle (8oz) .9
olive oil bottle .55
FBC cozy 1.45
lighter .55
Total = 18.45 oz

Clothing Carried

REI midweight LS 1/4 zip top + REI midweight bottoms 12.9
OR beanie Hat + Mountain Hardware gloves 3
Sierra Designs Hurricane rain pants 7
Golite Malpais Trinity 3 layer shell 6.9
Western Mountaineering Flash Down Jacket 9
Smart Wool socks 1 pair 4
REI hiking socks 2 pair (spares) 3.8
2 2L drysaks 1.45
Total = 48.15 oz

Other Items Carried

Sea to summit Sil pack cover 3.1
compass 1.35
1st aid /repair kit in ziplock 2.4
Steripen Journey with batteries 4.45
spare batteries in ziplock 1.3
journal + pen 3.8
1L platy .8
2L platy 1.25
REI swag pocket + line for inside tent .65
Brunton Inspire 5.35
IGo dual USB charger 1.45
iPhone 4 + bumper 5.2
Cocoon hyperlite pillow 2.45
mini biners x2 .2
sil nylon stuff sack .8
hygene kit 3.2
Petzl E-lite 1.55
tools (lite my fire mini steel, leatherman style, REI whistle) 1.5
empty 20 oz sports drink bottles x2 1.6
Total = 49.6 oz

Big 4 113.74
Kitchen 18.45
Clothing Carried 48.15
Other items carried 49.6
Total carried = 229.94 oz

Items Warn

Black Diamond trailback hiking poles 19.6
Cascadia 6 trail runners 26.9
REI hiking socks 1.9
Canari leg warmers 5.5
The North Face flight series lined running shorts 5.85
Mountain Hardware LS running shirt 5.1
Outdoor Research running cap 1.9
Mueller knee straps x2 2.3
Polarized sunglasses .8
Total = 69.85 oz

Total Carried in pack 229.94 or 14.37 lbs :banana
Total warn 69.85 or 4.37 lbs :banana
--------------------
Total Skin out minus consumables 299.79 oz or 18.74 lbs :banana

let me have it hiking Gods... but seriously what do y'all think? I'll be on the CT this year and either AT or PCT next year with this bit of kit.

Thanks,

Mcskinney

leaftye
03-30-2011, 02:36
Doesn't look bad. I'm curious about the Golite nest. It seems heavy, and I'm surprised it needs stakes. I would think that it could be guyed out to the stakes for the tarp. In any case, the Bear Paw inner tent is 5 ounces lighter. It would be lighter yet if you could get it custom built with nanoseeum instead of regular noseeum netting.

The sleeping bag seems like it's not warm enough, but I'm going to trust that you have the experience to know it's warm enough for you and the dates you'll be hiking.

I'm surprised that you're carrying an iPhone, charger and external battery. Will you really be using it that much? I could sort of understand if you were journaling on the iPhone, but you're carrying a paper version.

There are things that could be replaced with slightly lighter versions, but I get the feeling that you're not going for the lightest kit possible. If that were so, I doubt you'd be carrying a cutting board and there'd be LT4 trekking poles and plenty of cuben fiber.

mcskinney
03-30-2011, 02:58
Doesn't look bad. I'm curious about the Golite nest. It seems heavy, and I'm surprised it needs stakes. I would think that it could be guyed out to the stakes for the tarp. In any case, the Bear Paw inner tent is 5 ounces lighter. It would be lighter yet if you could get it custom built with nanoseeum instead of regular noseeum netting.

The sleeping bag seems like it's not warm enough, but I'm going to trust that you have the experience to know it's warm enough for you and the dates you'll be hiking.

I'm surprised that you're carrying an iPhone, charger and external battery. Will you really be using it that much? I could sort of understand if you were journaling on the iPhone, but you're carrying a paper version.

There are things that could be replaced with slightly lighter versions, but I get the feeling that you're not going for the lightest kit possible. If that were so, I doubt you'd be carrying a cutting board and there'd be LT4 trekking poles and plenty of cuben fiber.

thanks leaftye

I guess it's looking more "light-weight" then "ultra-light" but thats ok sub 15 ain't to bad. I've carried far less and I've carried far more.

Yeah the nest is a bit heavy, and not from stakes, I use 4 Ti Shepperd hooks so all 4 are less than an ounce. I've been debating on using something else, or nothing at all, instead. It does provide a ton of bug free room though. The meteor bivy by SMD was one that i looked at to replace it but it seemed to confining looking at pics. Someone else here suggested i stitch netting along the base of my tarp and use a ground cloth.

As far as the iPhone i know... its all very heavy with chargers and batteries and what not. I just love that thing what can I say. I understand its about 3/4 of a pound. I plan on using to to make a video journal along with my written journal. using it for a still camera. and using it for games if im rained stuck or ebooks in the rain. Or arranging rides with a hostel. I've thought long and hard about that one and decided to carry it, and then knowing what i'd be using it for needing a way to charge it in the back country.

I'm a hot sleeper, but the reason I bought the summerlite 32* bag knowing I'll have temps in the 20's is because i use my down jacket in my sleeping bag. I don't know if you've ever warn a WM flash before but they are toasters... far warmer then patagonia down sweaters. so in that regard im making my jacket work twice as hard, and when its not cold the jacket makes an additional pillow which is much loved.

If i wanted to get serious serious about weight: Stoveless, hexamid, no electronics but a headlamp and mini camera.

who makes the bear paw liner?

flemdawg1
03-30-2011, 07:49
leatherman tool for 1.5 oz? Please share a link for that one if you can. I almost bought a Leatherman Squirt y-day and its 2.2 oz.

Your list looks fine to me. I have a simialr packing stle.

ScottP
03-30-2011, 09:59
that's pretty much a stock thru-hiker setup. Enjoy

leaftye
03-30-2011, 10:36
who makes the bear paw liner?

http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/net.html

11 ounces for the 1 person version. Or maybe when you finish your hike this year, you learn how to sew and make your own. That may not actually save you money, but you'll be able to make something that fits you exactly the way you want.

sbhikes
03-30-2011, 11:15
You'll probably get rid of some of your kitchen things. All you really need is a stove, pot and spoon.

You'll probably get rid of some of your miscellaneous things.

You can substitute a black garbage bag for a pack cover and get better coverage for less weight.

You can lose some weight getting rid of various stuff sacks and just combine things or put them into compactor or turkey bags.

Blissful
03-30-2011, 11:19
Not sure I would take a 32 degree sleeping bag. Give me my 15 degree for the higher terrain
One lexan spoon is all you need. I'd cut some our kitchen gear, but that's me. Like a plain old rock serves fine as a cutting mat.
I'd make sure you pack will handle a bear canister. That's why I went with a ULA. Vapor trail is kind of small if you are planning future endeavors. I don't know if the CT has bear problems

I'm kind of amazed with all your electronics, batteries etc you are only carrying 14 lbs base weight. ?

mcskinney
03-30-2011, 15:21
leatherman tool for 1.5 oz? Please share a link for that one if you can. I almost bought a Leatherman Squirt y-day and its 2.2 oz.

Your list looks fine to me. I have a simialr packing stle.

the leatherman and firesteel and whistle weight 1.5 oz together.
the leatherman only weighs .8 oz

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=leatherman+style&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9403849314873440526&sa=X&ei=hIKTTbbgLKnfiAL_16X2AQ&ved=0CC8Q8gIwAQ#

mcskinney
03-30-2011, 15:30
Not sure I would take a 32 degree sleeping bag. Give me my 15 degree for the higher terrain
One lexan spoon is all you need. I'd cut some our kitchen gear, but that's me. Like a plain old rock serves fine as a cutting mat.
I'd make sure you pack will handle a bear canister. That's why I went with a ULA. Vapor trail is kind of small if you are planning future endeavors. I don't know if the CT has bear problems

I'm kind of amazed with all your electronics, batteries etc you are only carrying 14 lbs base weight. ?

Yeah, normally I carry a 25* bag, the summerlite is new this year. I figured id use my down jacket inside of it to boost it and when im around camp wearing my down jacket its kind of like wearing a bit of my sleeping bag.

Does anyone else do this? I'm hoping it work as good as i think it will. In addition I also own the wm flash down pants @ 6 oz. If i brought those its practically a 0* bag.

burger
03-30-2011, 16:22
Lose the lid on the pack--anything you would keep in there put in your small stuff sack and keep in near the top of your pack for easy access.

Lose the pack cover. It will not keep your pack dry. Use a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and everything will stay dry--and save you 2+ oz.

+1 on just a spoon; you can eat any literally kind of food with a spoon and your leatherman.

Pens die without a warning and don't work well in freezing/wet weather. Take a mechanical pencil instead.

Do you really need a pillow? Use your clothes bag instead.

Don't bother with the line for in your tent. If it's wet enough that you need a tent, nothing will dry anyway.

I've taken my summerlite down into the 20s several times and lived to tell. If you sleep in your tent + wear extra clothes to sleep, you should be fine.

mcskinney
03-31-2011, 01:10
Lose the lid on the pack--anything you would keep in there put in your small stuff sack and keep in near the top of your pack for easy access.

Lose the pack cover. It will not keep your pack dry. Use a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and everything will stay dry--and save you 2+ oz.

+1 on just a spoon; you can eat any literally kind of food with a spoon and your leatherman.

Pens die without a warning and don't work well in freezing/wet weather. Take a mechanical pencil instead.

Do you really need a pillow? Use your clothes bag instead.

Don't bother with the line for in your tent. If it's wet enough that you need a tent, nothing will dry anyway.

I've taken my summerlite down into the 20s several times and lived to tell. If you sleep in your tent + wear extra clothes to sleep, you should be fine.

Thanks Burger. that's good advice.