PDA

View Full Version : stolen gear on the trail.

LordoftheWings
03-30-2011, 09:42
My hiking partners came into hawk mountain shelter. We noticed there was an empty female tent and gear. Concerned a nice lady named tic tack notified authorities to the situation. We found out later she needed medical attention and was transported. Yesterday we learned that someone stole her gear. Very low down if you ask me.

HiKen2011
03-30-2011, 09:48
Basta@#!.........:mad:

d.o.c
03-30-2011, 10:48
i met a number of hikers last fall here in Va complaining bout gettn their money and a few gear items stolen by a guy in a camo pack in town he would ask to split a room then he would rip u off while you were in the shower

d.o.c
03-30-2011, 10:49
but wow that bad news

LoneRidgeRunner
03-30-2011, 10:52
Takes a sorry excuse for a human being to steal anything.. And an even sorrier piece of garbage that asks to split a room and then steals from you while you're in the shower..BUT...Who splits a room with a stranger?? Not me.. I like my privacy better than that any way..

Invictus Maneo
03-30-2011, 11:04
Any chance that someone packed it up for the woman and hiked it out to the visitor's center at Hawk Mountain? I might have done that if I knew the woman was transported... That way no one would even be tempted to steal it. Hope she's ok. Sleeping bag are replaceable, people are not.

Blissful
03-30-2011, 11:11
Hope she's ok. Sorry to hear this.

Newb
03-30-2011, 13:23
There's a visitors center at Hawk Mountain shelter?

Nearly Normal
03-30-2011, 13:30
Theives need public flogging for the first offense.

Invictus Maneo
03-30-2011, 13:40
Newb, there is a visitor's center at Hawk Mtn. Not sure how far the shelter is from there, but it's possible.

hikingshoes
03-30-2011, 13:47
Hiker are not,that pretty sorry,if you ask me.Id give you the shirt off my back,but to do something like this i have no use for them.HS

Jim Adams
03-30-2011, 13:49
I was there 2 weeks ago and there was a guy in his late 40's, really dirty, with military gear camping there. He had been there for quite a few days. We gave him a ride to the convience store in Suches but he had left his tent there and was going back....don't know whether he was "living" there or not but his stories of the trail and his tour in Vietnam didn't add up. Vietnam was off time wise with his age (too young) and he did know some trail info but all of his info was wrong as if he had read about the locations but never been there. He was camped right behind the shelter.

geek

daddytwosticks
03-30-2011, 15:58
I think we are talking about the Hawk Mtn. Shelter in GEORGIA. If so there ain't no visitor's center I'm aware of? If I'm wrong, hope there are vending machines there! :)

Invictus Maneo
03-30-2011, 16:08
Ah true, I was thinking of the Hawk Mtn shelter in PA. But at the visitor's center there, yes, there are vending machines! Not that this helps you any :)

johnhump
03-30-2011, 16:16
i sure hope there isnt a thief im going through that section next week

WingedMonkey
03-30-2011, 16:20
i sure hope there isnt a thief im going through that section next week

An abandoned pack and tent that later disappears may not be a thief, and unless you plan on leaving yours somewhere why worry?

Creek Dancer
03-30-2011, 16:22
I was there 2 weeks ago and there was a guy in his late 40's, really dirty, with military gear camping there. He had been there for quite a few days. We gave him a ride to the convience store in Suches but he had left his tent there and was going back....don't know whether he was "living" there or not but his stories of the trail and his tour in Vietnam didn't add up. Vietnam was off time wise with his age (too young) and he did know some trail info but all of his info was wrong as if he had read about the locations but never been there. He was camped right behind the shelter.

geek

Did you catch his name?

jeremiah j
03-30-2011, 16:39
Maybe I'm dumb but what's a female tent? Didn't know they were sexed.

daddytwosticks
03-30-2011, 16:47
Of course they're sexed...you must open the fly to figure out male or female. Don't get me started about the tent poles...:)

ATAaron
03-30-2011, 16:50
Theives need public flogging for the first offense.

With an aluminum baseball bat!!!:datz :mad:

LordoftheWings
03-30-2011, 20:49
Just as an update. It had all female personal gear including loose tampons. Now I know some guys need them. But I think its safe to assume it was a female. That and the sheriffs office confirmed it. As we talked to more folks less and less of her gear were seen. To make the whole trip better when the nice folks at the hostel dropped us off at the hotel a partner forgot their poles. When we called back they couldnt find them. I have to say my feel of professional courtesy is lacking.

LordoftheWings
03-30-2011, 20:51
No reflection on the hostel. Just the folks riding in its vehicles

Jim Adams
03-30-2011, 21:00
Did you catch his name?

I don't rememer, but I can find out...I was there with a bunch of friends.
He was late 40's-early 50's, long hair, dirty and looked like Charles Bronson.

geek

Jim Adams
03-30-2011, 21:00
Oh yeah...and a loud mouth.

geek

Doctari
03-30-2011, 22:24
An abandoned pack and tent that later disappears may not be a thief, and unless you plan on leaving yours somewhere why worry?

True. Ive turned in about 5 abandoned tents to the rangers on the AT & in other "wilderness areas", but all had been set up at least a week* & with no other gear in them. & each time I at least notified the authorities where the tent could be found near a trail-head if I couldn't get it to them in person.

*rain or debris inside the tent, no obvious recent use or personal gear, etc.

Croft
03-30-2011, 23:34
Sumak wrote about an abandoned pack at Hawk Mountain Shelter in her trail journal yesterday: "We noticed a tent in back of the shelter that had been abondoned with all of the gear inside...sleeping pad, sleeping bag, backpack and every thing else. Apparently there was a girl hiking that had two nights of sleeping in the thunderstorms and said screw this and left all her hear behind and walked out." Don't know if this is the same pack that prompted this thread, nor do I know where Sumak got the information about the girl leaving. If it's the same pack, it may just be a case of misinformation.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-31-2011, 00:18
With an aluminum baseball bat!!!:datz :mad:

Aluminum baseball bat..Then a bullet...

Jim Adams
03-31-2011, 08:41
What time frame are we talking about here? I saw the guy in question camping behind the shelter. He left his mat and sleeping bag in the tent but took his pack when we gave him a ride to Suches...that was on March 15.

geek

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 16:21
Uh, the 'female tent' had me wondering too. (pink tent?)
Always keep your gear close. I use to lug mine to the water source unless someone else I knew was in the camp spot that I trusted. Then I get water for both of us.