PDA

View Full Version : hiking poles

joshua29
03-30-2011, 10:32
what do you think im leaving for the at in three weeks, and i just bought a brand new pair of komperdell t-2 hiking poles i was wondering how many people use them on the at and if people use them enough to make it worth carrying them?

Blissful
03-30-2011, 11:21
I took my Komperdells in '07 - worked fine until the Whites and had to get a new pair. I love my poles. Saved my knees.

fredmugs
03-30-2011, 12:01
***? You just bought a new set of hiking poles and want to know if you should use them for...........hiking?

moldy
03-30-2011, 16:23
I used them for about 200 miles, then I tossed them. It is no value added for me. Won't help in a fall. I think you are safer with your hands free. More than 90% of hikers love them and won't hike without them.

DripDry
03-30-2011, 16:25
I am one of the 90%

Freedom Walker
03-30-2011, 21:57
Won't help in a fall. I think you are safer with your hands free.
For me they help me keep from falling. Take them and send home if they don't help.

Joey C
03-30-2011, 22:29
I used trekking poles for years, then just decided to stop. I noticed I hiked more relaxed with out them, and haven't taken them since.

I especially love to put my hands in my jacket pockets when it's raining.

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 16:37
I found that as my knees got older they wanted to take the poles hiking all the time and I gave in.

XCskiNYC
03-31-2011, 18:12
They're an unusual bit of gear in that people who use them consider them essential while people who don't have no idea why anybody would want to haul around a couple of hiking poles.

They don't bother me unless people do that thing where they take on a kind of militant stride, alternating footfalls with vigorously stabbing a pole tip into the ground.

kayak karl
03-31-2011, 18:22
you bought them. take them. if you don't need them send them home. you could use them to ward off unleashed dogs.:D

Pony
03-31-2011, 18:22
[QUOTE=XCskiNYC;1138178]They're an unusual bit of gear in that people who use them consider them essential while people who don't have no idea why anybody would want to haul around a couple of hiking poles.QUOTE]

I use my poles to hold up my tarp. To me they are essential. But, that's just me, HYOH.

XCskiNYC
03-31-2011, 19:02
I use my poles to hold up my tarp. To me they are essential. But, that's just me, HYOH.

Of course, not just tarps but also many tarptent designs can use a hiking pole or poles for support. But there are usually dedicated poles available that weigh less than hiking poles. If you will be using poles anyway for walking, then they're a great multi-use piece of gear and weight saver when used to support shelter.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-31-2011, 19:14
I never hike without my poles but my knees are 57 years old and I installed carpet for 27 years It's a personal decision.. HYOH

Joker4ink
04-04-2011, 20:51
I always take them. When I need my hands to scramble, I just let them hang on wrists. I also find that my fingers dont swell like when you have too much sodium.

Papa D
04-04-2011, 21:45
I hiked forever without poles and then started using them a few years back. I took them on my last outing (about 55 miles in CT) and with the exception of some really snowy parts, they got collapsed and put on the pack - I'm thinking about going down to one pole or it is possible that I might go back to no poles. I do sort of feel like poles give me a little safety factor when it comes to snakes though - something to put down in front of you instead of your foot.

Walkintom
04-04-2011, 21:49
I thought that trekking poles would be just one (actually, two) more thing that I didn't want to add to my already too heavy gear list - that is until I tried a pair.

I ordered some for myself.

blitz1
04-04-2011, 22:28
I thought it was a dumb idea until I tried them a few yr ago. Now I hardly ever go without them (unless it's a very rocky or bushwacking dayhike where they are less useful), definitely will take them on my thru starting a few weeks. They certainly reduce the strain on your knees, which makes me able to do more miles with less pain. Also help in crossing streams, keeping balance. I like the fliplock kind (using black diamond trailbacks right now) - started with a pair of Leki Makalu which were great until they all of a sudden wouldn't lock in position one morning. "fixed" them with duct tape and later got them working again, but the problem recurred a few trips later so i switched brands.

elray
04-04-2011, 23:11
Fifteen years ago trekking poles were a rare sight and often made fun of by passing hikers, "where you going, skiing"? Today 90 percent of serous hikers are using them and for good reason. Balance is the main reason for me. I've avoided numerous falls at stream crossings and such, the poles give me confidence and I think they also increase my speed. They will also prevent swelling in the hands on long strenuous days by keeping those extremities nearer the level of the heart. Buy a shelter that requires trekking poles for support and they do double duty, always a good thing on the AT.

Tinker
04-04-2011, 23:49
Using poles on steep, rocky descents helps me understand why mountain goats are more surefooted than we are. More contact points make for better balance control. Same goes for crossing streams. They help me control my speed on gradual downhills where I'd otherwise start to trot and stress my knees, and they allow my arms to do some of the work when climbing trails when they aren't too steep. I usually stow them on difficult climbs when handholds work better (pulling rather than pushing - pulling is more efficient) and when the trail gets too crowded from the undergrowth (not as often as you might think). I also use them to hold up the sides of my tarp when I want to let air get to my hammock on still, rainy, steamy nights.

WaitingInTheWeeds
04-05-2011, 00:06
I'm sorry I can't comment on the specific poles you have, but then I'm not sure how much the brand really matters anyway. I didn't think I would want to use them (poles) at first, but I made a last minute decision to buy a pair at walmart just before my "trial hike". I sure was glad I had them. With an overloaded pack it made the ups and downs much more bearable. I will definately be taking them with me on my thru, but now that my pack is much lighter I'm not sure if I'll keep them or not. Like others have said, you have them now so you might as well try them and see how they work for you. You can always ditch them later. One final note; the one thing I didn't like about them is that my hands weren't free for easy snacking...a definate downside.

88BlueGT
04-05-2011, 13:06
I purchased a pair of Super Makalu's 2yrs ago and they were one of the best purchases I have ever made. They take tons of stress off the knees, I personally hike MUCH faster with poles, great for rock scrambling (where I hike its ALWAYS rocky), great use for tent setup, protection, etc. I would NEVER hike without them.

Blue Jay
04-05-2011, 16:53
***? You just bought a new set of hiking poles and want to know if you should use them for...........hiking?

There has been no thread on poles for 2 whole days. He's just making sure the pole religion continues unabated, nothing wrong with that.:banana

dbrady
04-09-2011, 13:00
I am of the "use 1" group. Found it helped with balance and descents. On easy parts simply folded up dropped into the pack.

Scrapes
04-09-2011, 20:49
My dog never falls, I use 'em, don't fall, as much.

Stray dog
04-10-2011, 15:40
The only portion of the AT I have done was the Presidential Range. Once you reach the talus, hiking poles are pretty useless. You're better off using your hands to go up. My poles remained strapped to my backpack for the 20 mile traverse.

I will bring my poles for sure for my 2012 attempt at a thru hike.