PDA

View Full Version : Pine Grove Furnace to Caledonia

Invictus Maneo
03-30-2011, 12:47
Looking for advice from those with expereince. Hiking from Pine Grove Furnace SP to Caledonia SP. Anyone done this? Would love to hear from you!!

Spirit Walker
03-30-2011, 13:21
It's a nice two day hike. We've done it in summer and mid-winter.

fredmugs
03-30-2011, 14:06
I seem to recall that the trail was really good (no rocks) heading south from Pine Grove Furnace and that there was a rocky stretch right before and at the shelter right before you get into Caledonia.

Not sure when you're going but if you haven't been to Caledonia they have a pool and a snack bar but I'm guessing none of that will be open until after Memorial Day.

Invictus Maneo
03-30-2011, 14:43
We're going in May, and yes, it will be a southbound trip. topographically, it looked easier :)

harryfred
03-30-2011, 18:30
Hike it all the time. very easy two day hike. Birch Run shelter would be a good stopping point. If you prefer to tent get your water and head on up the hill from the shelter. It is a little bit flatter. I think one of the best spots is in the pines beyond the power lines. May is a good time to meet the NOBO thru's. Come thru on a Sun or Mon and I might be at Birch Run with some sodas and munchies. PM me if you need a ride back to a car.

Skid.
03-30-2011, 21:38
Quarry Gap shelters (two, side by side) were some of the nicest I have encountered on the AT, be sure to stop there, if only for lunch. About 2-1/2 mile climb from US 30.

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 16:24
Nice hike, having done that area NOBO and SOBO at different times I did not notice a difference but I was in 'trail shape' too. Lots of Magic at Caledonia (twice met church groups I still keep in touch with)

Invictus Maneo
04-01-2011, 14:31
thanks for the offer, but we're parking a car at both ends. Ending in Caledonia on a Sunday so I guess we'll miss the trail magic :(

BigHodag
04-01-2011, 15:02
My favorite part of last year's section hike.

Rattled at by timber rattler basking in grass along the edge of Bunker Hill Rd. Don't be lulled by blooming blackberries and honeysuckle. Keep towards center and pay attention.

Tent camping area up the trail behind Milesburn Cabin. Old fire ring. Easy walk down to creek for water. Some night traffic along adjacent road.

No water between Milesburn Cabin and Quarry Gap.

Plan to linger at Quarry Gap Shelter and enjoy the caretaker's handywork.

Invictus Maneo
04-01-2011, 15:18
any pictures in your gallery from PGF SP to Caledonia?

BigHodag
04-01-2011, 22:53
No photos of this section. Ran out of film at Caledonia.

Not much scenery. The trail is fairly straight and shady, except for Bunker Hill Rd. Lots of trees, ferns, and chipmunks. (I suspect PA feeds the chipmunks fertility drugs to ensure prey for the endangered timber rattlers.)

Saw lots of old camp sites along this section. I suspect most of these are from hunters.