PDA

View Full Version : Single person tent...

Chubbs4U
03-30-2011, 15:45
Talk me out of using my 20% off coupon from REI on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent.

Freedom Walker
03-30-2011, 15:50
Well I am 6-2 and 200 pounds and I am glad I purchased a two-man tent. It's really not big enough for two people unless they are in love. But it is big enough for me and my gear. I would have to look it up but I think the increase in weight was less than a pound, and a few dollars more in price. Just my two cents worth.

hikerboy57
03-30-2011, 15:52
Talk me out of using my 20% off coupon from REI on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent.

I went with the Flycreek UL2 instead, it only weighs a few more ounces and I felt the extra weight was worth the extra space.

Chubbs4U
03-30-2011, 15:53
Im not tall but I am wide. Good to know. Going to try and see if I can make it to REI to try the sizing out. I thought also that this was one of the bigger 1 person tents.

hikerboy57
03-30-2011, 15:56
Its a little cramped. and I think the difference in weight between the UL! and the 2 is like 6 ounces heavier. Im 5'11" 165 lbs. Youve got to be wider than I am, so I think you'll appreciate the extra room.

johnhump
03-30-2011, 16:27
i bought a msr hubba and love it. but i do wonder if the door design for the flycreek lets water in when it rains

hikerboy57
03-30-2011, 16:41
i bought a msr hubba and love it. but i do wonder if the door design for the flycreek lets water in when it rains
Its fine as long as you stake out the vestibule, spent a few rainy nights in it without incident.

Jay_NJ
03-30-2011, 16:49
Ul1 is fine for width, it's just pretty short. I am 155lb and 5'11. I have to keep my bag right at the entrance of the tent or I would hit the end with my bag/feet. There is ample space to the left and right if the sleeping pad is centered.

Chubbs4U
03-31-2011, 10:46
Currently looking for used. Maybe ill get lucky.

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 12:07

Don't do it. Think of the children. You have your whole life ahead of you. Did I talk you out of it?

Chubbs4U
04-05-2011, 22:52
so I was talked out of and I am now looking at a 1 person rainbow.

STICK
04-05-2011, 22:56
What about the Contrail...

Jim Adams
04-05-2011, 23:02
Check out the Hubba...I am also "wider" and the tent is not only big enough for me but I love the HUGE side opening door....easy in and out.

geek

skinewmexico
04-05-2011, 23:29
so I was talked out of and I am now looking at a 1 person rainbow.

Great plan. Sleeps two in a pinch.

Chubbs4U
04-05-2011, 23:44
...was thinking maybe the double instead cause it only weighs a bit more and you never know. Heard the Lunar Duo rocks also as a 2 person tent. Soo many choices

Chubbs4U
04-10-2011, 13:40
So I have slimmed it down to either the Moment or the single rainbow. I am not a tall person, under 6 ft, and a bit on the heavy side, 215+. So which to go with?

Smile
04-10-2011, 15:48
Hubba.
Check out the 2011 color scheme, rather dandy. :)

swamprat
04-10-2011, 16:00
watch the videos for the henry shires tarptents. the double rainbow for a few ounces more with ease of setting up looks like a go. two man much more room

Chubbs4U
04-13-2011, 11:40
http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/6083/MSR-Carbon-Reflex-1-Tent.html

found this tent for around $300. Trying to see if it comes/has rainfly and footprint. Thoughts on this tent and can we tell what the year it was made?

Franco
04-13-2011, 18:41
The Carbon Reflex is very similar to the Rainbow in design.
The floor is a couple of inches shorter and a foot narrower but for the extra 10oz you get a full mesh inner (tent).
The Rainbow is an hybrid. The door side is a full mesh wall but the other is fabric.
With the CR you can even set it up freestanding like the Rainbow, however that is a TT patent so MSR can't show you that.
Keep in mind that you pitch the inner first , so not a dry set up in the rain.
I think that there has been only one version of the CR made.
Franco

tat44too
04-13-2011, 19:04
I ordered the MSR Hubba 1P, but I'm pretty worried about the fit. I'm a little over 6'4", and around 205 lbs. The diagram says 26" wide and I'm wider than that at the shoulders. Any advice from the "tall gallery?" Thanks a million...

Franco
04-13-2011, 20:45
Advice..
When looking at tent dimensions, pay particular attention to the usable space not the given footprint dimensions.
Most tents have inward sloping walls. That particularly when you add a mat , will eat up a lot of vertical usable space.
To give you an idea this is the Rainbow.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/TT-R-1-end.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/TT-DR-other-end.jpg
The given length is 88" . My tape measure is set at 88" however the case ,3" long, is still on the floor.
(88" is the distance at the corner)
The red mat is only 66", it is the only thin mat I have. You loose more space again with a thicker one.
Measuring vertically over the 88" mark I get about 14"
Now simulating an 86" floor with a slightly inward sloping end , this is what you get .
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/86-inch--simulation.jpg
So to get any vertical space you need to come in a few more inches (at each end)
Franco
For the record I do look after TT in Australia, however if you buy 1 or 10 TTs over there it does not alter my bank balance.
[email protected] ([email protected])

hike500
04-13-2011, 23:11
I really think the Rainbow is darn near a perfect tent for solo. It pitches very tight and does outstanding in the wind and rain. Can't go wrong in my book. Plus Henry is a great guy to deal with. I have called twice and he picked up the phone each time and spent as much time as I needed. Customer for life!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10576&stc=1&d=1302750671

FamilyGuy
04-13-2011, 23:19
I used a Hubba 1p last week. I used a long bag that was 82" long, long pad, and am 6'1". Scooting the pad to the end of the tent, I would have approximately 6" to spare before the sloping wall, which is almost vertical because of the way the poles are situated. The slope is not that significant and no different than the Rainbow that I own.

It is narrow, however. Wait until you get it to make a decision on width. It is wider at the top (about 30").

Chubbs4U
04-13-2011, 23:27
Familyguy, if I may, why did you buy a hubba when you had a 1person tent? Which do you use more and why? The fact that you have both helps...

mybackpackingblog
04-13-2011, 23:56
Just me...I own two Kelty Grand Mesa 2 man tents, a Kelty Yellowstone 4 man, and others...I recently took my Grand Mesa 2 with my wife and I...we used two Stansports 20" x 72" backpacking air mattresses....waaaaay to crowded....all gear was outside...the vestibul wasn't really big enough for two larger (4000,4200) backpacks....still love the tent...but I would only use it for a one man from now on....and use the Kelty Yellowstone 4 man for my wife and I. It is a little bit heavier...but way more room. I will be in the market for a lighter 3 man for my wife and I...just haven't found the right one yet....any suggestions...the lighter the better and of course I don't want to break the bank....

Chubbs4U
04-14-2011, 00:00
Well what I am told, and if I needed a 2 person tent this one rocks and has ton of room....

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=7

mybackpackingblog
04-14-2011, 00:21
Well what I am told, and if I needed a 2 person tent this one rocks and has ton of room....

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=7

Dang it...I know...and that is one of the ones I am interested in...Just can't drop three bills on one right now...really just praying someone on this form will send www.mybackpackingblog.org (http://www.mybackpackingblog.org) one to review and keep...!!! ha! Just messing...yes...This one will remain on want "must have" list...

FamilyGuy
04-14-2011, 00:40
Familyguy, if I may, why did you buy a hubba when you had a 1person tent? Which do you use more and why? The fact that you have both helps...

Hi - I have enough gear to start my own online gear shop....:D

I was using the Hubba as were going to be expecting a high potential for condensation. I also needed a freestanding shelter with access to my trekking poles away from the shelter. It is a very nice tent - easy to set up, great ventilation, and more room than I had expected. Modular. It is very user friendly.

The Rainbow is a bit longer and more than a bit wider. It is also lighter. No better; no worse (in my opinion) with respect to features. Just different.

I am not sure I have a favorite between the two. Both have their pros and cons. I guess if I was to have only one tent between the two, I would lean toward the Hubba because of the modular nature of the tent and the better ability to manage condensation. But honestly, it would be like choosing a favorite child.....:eek:

If you have specific questions regarding comparatives I can try answering them.

FamilyGuy
04-14-2011, 01:08
I was at Desert Rats, a local outfitter in St.George Utah and saw a Lunar Duo set up. Let me say that this shelter is HUUUUUUGGGEEEE. A ton of space for 2!

Chubbs4U
04-14-2011, 01:29
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Carbon-Reflex-Solo-Tent/dp/B001QWIS6E/ref=pd_ybh_8?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EKCQQTYB3T6DW44CSQB

found this one also....

Familyguy- IMO save up for the tent you want, youll feel better after you buy what you want. If your looking to get rid of your rainbow, could be a great start for the lunar duo, I could be interested and havent pulled the trigger on anything yet. Everyday I get home and search for the best deal on a tent that day being swayed like a flag in the wind. Each day I keep coming back to a few. This is the order so far. 1 rainbow 2 hubba, moment, that msr carbon I like some of the golite things, the gossamer gear and six moons has a vamp tent that is half price, discontinued but looks solid. I have a 2 person tent already, a bit heavy for hiking with but great for carcamping so Im looking for something 1 person "style". Im not a tall person, under 6ft and Im a little wide 210+lbs so I dont need anything long per se.