PDA

View Full Version : shopping list

twsmith001
03-30-2011, 17:46
hey guys i am making a shopping list and thought i would run it by everyone....let me know if im forgetting something;

Sleep System

hammock
undercover
sleeping bag
pillow
stakes
bagliner

Sleep clothing

socks
base legs
top legs
base top
top top
head
campjacket
campshoes?

Clothing

4 pair socks
base pants
top pants
base top
sweater midlayer
jacket
raincover
head
feat

Kitchen

stove
backup stove
aluminum foil
matches
firestarter
pan
utinseles
cup?
fuel bottle
plate
spatula

Gear

backpack
water bottles
first aid
knife/multitool
bear bag
bear bag rope
rope
light
water purification
watch?
bandanas
dry/stuff sacks
trowel
poles/sticks
duck tape
soap
insect repellant
t.p.
razor?
mirror?
pen/pencil
toothbrush and paste

i tried to make this as general as possible so others could maybe find it usefull, but a few things for me is the hammock and undercover which could be switched for a tent and pad. I put back up stove on there because im planning on using a wood stove so that should not apply to most and the pan and spatula are for pancakes and bacon which im not going months without but would not be usefull for some. Thoose with question marks im debating on but included them anyways incase i forget later. Hoping to hear some feed back on items not on the list or maybee items on the list that shouldnt be on there. I puposely left out brand names or particular styles as this list is more a check list and plenty of information on styles or names already exist.

p.s. forgive the bad spelling in places i just found out i have to dl. a spell check thingie and i dont want to so......

Blissful
03-30-2011, 17:51
I'm assuming this is for a thru?
Looks like too many clothes.
All you need for cookwear is one pot and one lexan spoon. I'd eat the pancakes and bacon in town and save the weight. No need for a back up stove.
Be sure you can take winter temps with a hammock set up
Aqua fina makes fine water bottles

twsmith001
03-30-2011, 18:04
oh yeah sorry for a thru hike next year, my back up stove is just gonna be a little soda can alckie one so the weight is not so much an issue, and i cant stand noodles or rice so that rules out alot of traditional backpakers dinner fair......

swamprat
03-30-2011, 18:27
hey, I will be starting a thru hike next year. Are you planning nb or sb

twsmith001
03-31-2011, 00:13
nb starting early to late march

ScottP
03-31-2011, 01:28
Blissful had some great advice. I'll second all of that.

Just like most other things, backpacking gear boils down to personal preference. I've hiked with 70+ pound packs, and I've done multi-day trips with nothing but a 15L bag for food and a space blanket. Eventually I found where I like to be. If at all possible try to borrow some gear for a trip.

One thing you might want to do is post a gear budget. Someone trying to gear up where money isn't a big issue has a lot more options than someone trying to dirtbag it. If you got money then go ahead and buy all that stuff and ship it home as you get tired of carrying it. I doubt it'll go to waste, and you'll just want to buy a smaller pack. If you're short on money then you might want to start with buying less and then pick up the extras that you think you need.

It looks like you've really thought through all the functions that you'll need. Now try to think of how you can get all that stuff done with the least amount of gear you can. Your foodbag can also be your bearbag.

One stove is plenty, and if things go wrong you can cook over fire. If that doesn't work, then eat cold food until you can resupply.

A stick/rock work fine as a trowel.

You want the right amount of clothing to be at an acceptable level of comfort while hiking, in camp, and sleeping. They don't need to be separate sets. A good down vest (montbell, western mountaineering) adds a TON of warmth for the weight in camp/sleeping, and you can wear it to hike in if you really have to. I've overshot and undershot the amount of clothing I need, and neither was particularly pleasant.

I think there's a hammock specific sub-forum. You might want to poke around there for a bit. Hammocks are a good bit of gear, but they're not for everyone. I ended up going to the ground as my personal preference.

Rain pants are pretty optional. Personally, I'd rather keep my legs unencumbered and keep my core toasty. A warm layer for your legs when there's postholing levels of snow, it gets crazy cold, or for camp is always nice though. Shell gloves are probably worthwhile that time of year as well.

Camp shoes are also pretty optional. I think that I brought them on my first ever hiking trip and then never again.

ScottP
03-31-2011, 01:28
Blissful had some great advice. I'll second all of that.

Just like most other things, backpacking gear boils down to personal preference. I've hiked with 70+ pound packs, and I've done multi-day trips with nothing but a 15L bag for food and a space blanket. Eventually I found where I like to be. If at all possible try to borrow some gear for a trip.

One thing you might want to do is post a gear budget. Someone trying to gear up where money isn't a big issue has a lot more options than someone trying to dirtbag it. If you got money then go ahead and buy all that stuff and ship it home as you get tired of carrying it. I doubt it'll go to waste, and you'll just want to buy a smaller pack. If you're short on money then you might want to start with buying less and then pick up the extras that you think you need.

It looks like you've really thought through all the functions that you'll need. Now try to think of how you can get all that stuff done with the least amount of gear you can. Your foodbag can also be your bearbag.

One stove is plenty, and if things go wrong you can cook over fire. If that doesn't work, then eat cold food until you can resupply.

A stick/rock work fine as a trowel.

You want the right amount of clothing to be at an acceptable level of comfort while hiking, in camp, and sleeping. They don't need to be separate sets. A good down vest (montbell, western mountaineering) adds a TON of warmth for the weight in camp/sleeping, and you can wear it to hike in if you really have to. I've overshot and undershot the amount of clothing I need, and neither was particularly pleasant.

I think there's a hammock specific sub-forum. You might want to poke around there for a bit. Hammocks are a good bit of gear, but they're not for everyone. I ended up going to the ground as my personal preference.

Rain pants are pretty optional. Personally, I'd rather keep my legs unencumbered and keep my core toasty. A warm layer for your legs when there's postholing levels of snow, it gets crazy cold, or for camp is always nice though. Shell gloves are probably worthwhile that time of year as well.

Camp shoes are also pretty optional. I think that I brought them on my first ever hiking trip and then never again.

twsmith001
04-02-2011, 02:33
thanks scott what i made the list for was so i could try to remember everything that i need and most definetly if i can use one thing for two or three then i will, what i was trying to do was make sure i do not forget anything......and the second stove i am thinking about caring is a soda can stove....with maybee six ounces of fuel so the weight should not entail to much but the added easy of starting a fire in wet conditions with a little bit of denatured alchol seems to me to be worth it....but sense i have a while ill probably do some testing to see how much of a help or you guys could be right and itsa total waste......either way the pyro in me will have fun

Mountain Mike
04-02-2011, 02:58
Rather than one big bear bag uo would be better off with two smaller ones. They allows you to counterbalance your bags (PCTY Method) & usually easier to pack.

twsmith001
04-03-2011, 12:44
thanks mike but what is pcty method???

TheStu
04-05-2011, 18:33
thanks mike but what is pcty method???

I'm guessing he meant the PCT method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FXRJldcpE)?

Something you might also consider is a towel. Some people don't mind being dirty on the trail but I like to stay clean :)