PDA

View Full Version : What makes your kitchen?

jrnj5k
03-30-2011, 19:08
Wondering what you all carry in your kitchen bag.

I carry a fuel canister, pocket rocket, snowpeak 20 oz titanium mug, 12 oz squishy bowl, gsi spork, and a small bic lighter.

Hikes in Rain
03-30-2011, 19:12
Cat can stove, REI 0.9 L titanium pot, lexan soup spoon, lighter, wind screen and fuel bottle. Oh, and my ancient Sierra cup.

jrnj5k
03-30-2011, 19:13
Cat can stove, REI 0.9 L titanium pot, lexan soup spoon, lighter, wind screen and fuel bottle. Oh, and my ancient Sierra cup.

Do you find the cat stove annoying? or to delicate?

Rocket Jones
03-30-2011, 19:26
Super Cat stove, mini-bic, reflector and windscreen, grease pot with lid and bent wire bail, 3"x5" flexible cutting board cut out of a full size one, IMUSA aluminum mug. All this fits inside the grease pot (along with some teabags). Also in the bag is a Sea-to-Summit long handled aluminum spoon and my FBC cozy. All total, about 10 ounces.

My fuel bottle gets bagged and is carried in an outside pack pocket.

Hikes in Rain
03-30-2011, 19:28
No, neither. I'm still using my first attempt, that I made in five minutes. Never fails to astound me, the silly thing works exactly as predicted, and does what I need. And so far, it's been bulletproof. Even if it does get damaged, I could likely unbend it enough to get me to a point where I could make another (as long as it isn't run over by a truck!)

garlic08
03-30-2011, 20:16
A cup and a spoon and 50' of paracord.

Papa D
03-30-2011, 20:44
well, let's see what is in there right now - it's a mesh bag with - a 1 liter MSR Titanium Pot and lid that is also my cup, pocket rocket, sm. canister, home-made aluminum foil windscreen, sm. titanium spork, lighter, 1/2 sponge, 1/4 bar of dr. bronners soap, toothbrush, tooth powder, ziplock of Starbucks Vias and some tea, 25' or 30' of 3 mil (?) climbing cord.

Joey C
03-30-2011, 21:45
soda can stove, heiney keg pot, lighter, wind screen, spoon, fuel/bottle - usally 8 oz.

tiptoe
03-30-2011, 21:47
Trangia burner, homemade windscreen, 2 lengths of wire hanger to support pot, tiny scrubbie (piece of plastic mesh from grapefruit bag), plastic spoon, lighter, and two little stacking pots. Denatured alcohol, too, but that's stored elsewhere.

gumball
03-30-2011, 22:18
Pocket rocket, small canister, titanium mug, plastic spoon, small lighter, matches in waterproof container.

daddytwosticks
03-31-2011, 07:32
Ultimately, if I could get off coffee, I'd only take a cheap disposable plastic knife to spread stuff with and go completely stoveless on my section hikes. :)

royalusa
03-31-2011, 08:59
Our kitchen for two: one spoon and 50' of Spectra line.

shelterbuilder
03-31-2011, 13:20
...Oh, and my ancient Sierra cup.

YES!!! I'm NOT the only one out there who still uses a Sierra cup! :D Over the years, it's served as a small pot lid, a small cook pot for oatmeal, a double-boiler (don't ask), a berry-picking pot, and a host of other uses...including dipping water out of really shallow pools. I'm partial to the larger 12 oz. version, as it is more useful in the kitchen in camp. I even have the lid for it!

Being somewhat of a traditionalist at times, I still will occassionally use my Optimus 99 (aluminum body with the lid that doubles as a small pot). If I'm careful, I can get by for a weekend with just the fuel in the stove's tank.
Add a small nylon scrubbie, some Dr. Bronner's, a small Bic lighter, and a spoon, and I'm good to go!

Old Hiker
03-31-2011, 13:29
Two nesting pots that make a cylinder with:
Pocket rocket
8 oz canister
Ti spoon
Plastic measuring cup
Bic
1/2 bottle camp soap
Al flashing windscreen
Salt - pepper - garlic powder

JaxHiker
03-31-2011, 13:34
Right now I'm using:

Gram Weenie Pro w/windscreen
Backcountry.com 700ml Ti cup

Weighs about 6 oz.

I like my coffee, too, and I like it to stay hot so I use a SP double-wall 440 Ti mug @ 4.4 oz.

Tinker
03-31-2011, 13:37
Since I just pasted this in another link:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/picture_378_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43664&c=member&imageuser=2502)
I substitute a canister stove for 2 or more people, and for short trips I often use Esbit tabs instead of alcohol.
The large pot is an Evernew 1.3l ti, the cup is the large one from a Snow Peak set, the windscreen is ti foil from www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com), the spoon is an old MSR ti unit, the scorch plate (for under the stove so I don't burn the wood surfaces I sometimes use) is the bottom of an aluminum pie plate, and the cozy is homemade from an old ccf pad. The set weighs 10-1/8 oz. with the coffee filter.

Hikes in Rain
03-31-2011, 13:38
[QUOTE=shelterbuilder;1137977]YES!!! I'm NOT the only one out there who still uses a Sierra cup! :D Over the years, it's served as a small pot lid, a small cook pot for oatmeal, a double-boiler (don't ask), a berry-picking pot, and a host of other uses...including dipping water out of really shallow pools. I'm partial to the larger 12 oz. version, as it is more useful in the kitchen in camp. I even have the lid for it!

QUOTE]

They also make a pretty good coffee cup. Mine's old enough I'm not sure they were even making the 12 oz. version; at least, I hadn't heard of them and didn't see one when I got ours. The 8 oz. one is at least pretty good for measuring.

Done the double boiler thing. Skillet from my old Scout cook kit (which I carried until just recently) and a few little rocks. Melted chocolate for dipping.

Shoot, all the cool kids back then had them haning on their belts!

10-K
05-13-2011, 20:35

Despite being a consummate coffee drinker I'm going to give going stoveless a shot, mainly due to your posts...

It's a big step - there's a lot of psychological attachment to warm meals and drinks (for me anyway). Cold weather I'll go back to the stove though I'm pretty sure.

But, the freedom from carrying fuel, a stove, and a cookpot is a big enough draw to give it a go.

Question: As non-cook food tends to be heavier do you actually realize any weight savings or is it primarily a convenience issue for you?

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-13-2011, 21:30
I must be the heaviest here:

JetBoil Flash + coffee filter (soon to be sol Ti 0.8 liter)
Long Ti spork
Snowpeak 650mil Ti mug
Lite My Fire spicebox (garlic&pepper / cumin / paprika)

TravelPro
05-13-2011, 21:32
10-K I love my coffee too. But there are ways to go stoveless and still enjoy the java.

Use a widemouth 1 liter Nalgene cantene. Throw in good quality instant coffee (starbucks' Via is pretty good, anything will work). Sugar, cinnamon, dehydrated milk, whatever you use. Shake it well, let it sit a little while or make it the night before. Not too bad, and you can have it through the day as you hike.

10-K
05-13-2011, 21:37
10-K I love my coffee too. But there are ways to go stoveless and still enjoy the java.

Use a widemouth 1 liter Nalgene cantene. Throw in good quality instant coffee (starbucks' Via is pretty good, anything will work). Sugar, cinnamon, dehydrated milk, whatever you use. Shake it well, let it sit a little while or make it the night before. Not too bad, and you can have it through the day as you hike.

Sounds pretty good, and better than taking no-doze! :)

harryfred
05-13-2011, 21:48
Ultimately, if I could get off coffee, I'd only take a cheap disposable plastic knife to spread stuff with and go completely stoveless on my section hikes. :)
I can live with cold instant coffee. starting to go stove less once the temps stay above 70 deg.

harryfred
05-13-2011, 22:12
Despite being a consummate coffee drinker I'm going to give going stoveless a shot, mainly due to your posts...

It's a big step - there's a lot of psychological attachment to warm meals and drinks (for me anyway). Cold weather I'll go back to the stove though I'm pretty sure.

But, the freedom from carrying fuel, a stove, and a cookpot is a big enough draw to give it a go.

Question: As non-cook food tends to be heavier do you actually realize any weight savings or is it primarily a convenience issue for you?
I go stove less when it gets warmer. Note for the most part at the end of the day I just want a full belly. I just don't feel like hot food on a hot night. I eat a lot of what I eat if I carry a stove just a little more of it. Cheese peanut butter summer sausage. I also start to carry cucumbers tomatoes onions maybe a small melon, and fruit. my pack starts out a little on the heavy side but gets light fast. To answer your question,IMHO, I go stove less because it suits my eating style. I am leaving on a hike in apx. 12 hrs. and i could leave the stove at home , but I will in all likelihood end the day wet and chilled and I will really want my HOT, bowl of flavored rice. and prefer my coffee hot in the morning.

garlic08
05-13-2011, 23:35

...To answer your question,IMHO, I go stove less because it suits my eating style....

This is pretty much my answer as well.

Starting from a resupply, stoveless is not that much lighter, if at all. But that's only the first day or two. On the last day, if you've planned your food well and water is plentiful, imagine the pack with no cook kit, fuel, food or water. You fly along effortlessly and that's my favorite hiking style.

I hear some people will chew on coffee beans for the caffeine fix. I also hear they're available chocolate-covered.

I hope stoveless works well for you, if you try it. I wish I'd heard about it before I did.

PS: There's a common argument about not having an external heat source and that was a stumbling point for me. But I did some calcs and found that the heat energy contained in a liter of water heated from 40F to 140F (as hot as you can drink) is only about 50 calories, a fraction of a Snickers bar. You're better off getting under insulation and eating cold food. The hot water solution is great if there's someone to heat it up for you, though. (My wife sure likes it.)

wannahike
05-14-2011, 08:23
Use a gator aid bottle and it beats just mixing up instant coffee. I added some Nido, works great.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/mezethesdrinks/ht/frappe.htm

I went stoveless for a week long hike and enjoyed it a lot. Bob's Red Mill muesli, cold with nido was a great breakfast and the muesli is good just eaten out of hand.

Duff
05-14-2011, 08:48
Zpacks 1.4 mm Z-line Bear Bag Line - 50ft.

0.60 oz.

Food Bag; Zpacks Large "Blast" rectangle food bag

0.80 oz

Zpacks Rock Bag

0.1 oz.

Bear Line Carabiner

0.10 oz.

12 oz. soda bottle for alcohol

0.8 oz.

Lighter, Bic mini

0.4 oz.

Backpackinglight 550 ml pot

2.2 oz.

Pot Scrubbie (mesh fabric)

0.1 oz.

Sea to Summit Spoon

0.3 oz

Alcohol Stove; Gram Weenie Pro

0.6 oz.

Sulak46 Titanium Windscreen

0.35 oz.

Lightload Towel

0.3 oz.

Zpacks Cuben Fiber Stuffsack

0.1 oz

Total 6.75 oz.

daddytwosticks
05-14-2011, 13:22
10K...if you make that cup something like a SP-600 and happen to make a little fire one morning and just happen to have a Starbuck's Via loose in the botton of your pack, what the heck! :)

10-K
05-14-2011, 13:53
10K...if you make that cup something like a SP-600 and happen to make a little fire one morning and just happen to have a Starbuck's Via loose in the botton of your pack, what the heck! :)

That thought has crossed my mind, you can believe it. I *will* have a way to start a fire.... :)

skooch
05-14-2011, 19:41
I have been very inspired by you too. Im looking forward to going stoveless. Its all about a simple beginning and end to each day. Oh and the peanut butter

LDog
05-14-2011, 20:20
My kitchen for two consists of:

Monatauk Gnat canister stove
Fuel cannister
Foil Wind Screen
REI 1.3L Ti Pot
2 Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoons (Long)
2 MSR Titan 13 oz Cups
Nylon pot scrubber
2 Cuben Fiber Dry Bags w/ 50' 2.8mm line & 2 lightweight biners

Jake76
06-08-2011, 22:23
Bought a jetboil, took it on 1 weekend hike...I can see it's limited but I imagine it'll do me good for a bit.

REI plastic spoon & bowl.

Red Hat
06-10-2011, 14:00
Last year on my thru I moved from the pocket rocket/canister to the Caldera Cone with alcohol stove. I still have my .9 Evernew Ti pot (but now it looks old) and my ti spork. I use a squishy blue cup for coffee or tea. Plus 50 ft cord for my bear bag and a minilighter. In the Sierras I also have a Bearvault 400. Wish I could bring myself to go stoveless so I'd be as light as Garlic! (cup, spoon, and bearcord!)

Tinker
06-11-2011, 18:43
Here ya go - http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/picture_378_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43664&c=member&imageuser=2502)

ChinMusic
06-11-2011, 19:59
A spork, other than that......nothing

Stoveless

BigRing
06-13-2011, 19:58
Optimus stove, nested cookpot set, salt/pepper/season all, spork, 1/2 scrubbie, and small bottle bio soap. ...and a 8" alum fry pan with the handle cut off for those short trips when a bagel egg breakfast sandwich is a must.

Country Roads
06-13-2011, 20:46
Mine kinda varies depending on the length of the trip and if I am playing with any home made stuff.
Last trip out: Heinie pot, home made cone clone windscreen, long handled titanium spoon, Trail designs alky stove, minibic lighter, couple ounces of denatured alcohol. Weight around 5 ounces not counting the fuel. This is my really-wanna-go light kit. I sometimes add a "bowl" made from a cut down ziploc container and a "cup" made from a Coke One 7 1/2 oz can (this I also use as a measuring cup). This kit weighs around 6.5 ounces.
Sometimes I go heavy with the pocket rocket and larger pot; this runs up the weight to nearly a pound, but I can cook most anything (except stewed elephant).

Tramp
02-09-2012, 11:28
Good stuff ! Would like to see links to some of the items listed. Maybe more pix to.

TOMP
02-14-2012, 19:12

Aw, hardcore. Is this for trapping prey with a snare and skining and gutting them with a spoon?

My Kitchen:

Soto microregulator stove 2.5 oz
Ti spork 0.6 oz
Primus Kettle 6.5 oz
Nondisposable lighter that uses a wick 1.1 oz (backup only as the soto has a built in ignition)

LazySquatch
12-18-2012, 02:25
-16 oz Venom can (go to water bottle side pocket and boil)
-in 2 cup ziplock bowl (inside pack)
-mini bic
-aluminum foil windscreen
-wire cloth pot stand
-welch's grape can stove (smaller diameter)
-1/2 Msr spork
-1/4 light load towel

Mountain Mike
12-18-2012, 02:52
My kitchen varies as much as the rest of my gear. How many, terrain, time & miles. To me part of waking up is making cowboy coffee. In my eyes if you don't know how to do it right I don't want to camp with you (I do a variance for one time demo). Kitchens vary like hiking style. one thing I love in any kitchen set up is a plastic scraper. Cleans the pots out & I can lick it off getting every last morsel of the food I have been carting for days!

George
12-18-2012, 03:03
iron skillet, half cord of firewood, side of beef

Drybones
12-18-2012, 19:46
Martha Stewart

cabbagehead
12-26-2012, 10:06
hopefully a robot