PDA

View Full Version : Why did you thruhike?

Stuart
01-17-2005, 12:27
I've read quite a few "what did you learn" or "what did you get out of it" threads over the years, but I'm wondering why did you even do it in the first place?

For you, what was the point of a thruhike? How impotant was making it end to end?

On the surface I know that this appears to be one of those "if you have to ask you won't understand" questions, but I think there is depth and varience to individual rationale and I interested in this.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2005, 12:41
Because I'm wealthy and got nothing better to do.

Stuart
01-17-2005, 13:01
Because I'm wealthy and got nothing better to do.

I'm in the exact same situation :D I thought there may be some greater impetus to the deal. Actually I'm trying to advance the whole thing beyond external validation, but I'm not sure I can. Truth be told, and I think your are joking, but I like that reason.... "nothing better to do"... and from the posts I have read of yours over the years I think there is very likely a kernel of truth to that. Spin that another way, I hike because I like to, but I doubt that is what a pure thru is totally about.

Lilred
01-17-2005, 13:02
I've read quite a few "what did you learn" or "what did you get out of it" threads over the years, but I'm wondering why did you even do it in the first place?

For you, what was the point of a thruhike? How impotant was making it end to end?

On the surface I know that this appears to be one of those "if you have to ask you won't understand" questions, but I think there is depth and varience to individual rationale and I interested in this.

Or you could ask, 'Why do you want to'? I haven't thru-hiked yet, but one of the reasons I want to is because it fascinates me. The whole idea of being able to walk from one end of this country to the other, fascinates me. Plus, I think it's the closest anyone can get to experiencing the wilderness like our ancesters did in this part of the country. I'm not at a transitional point in my life, so my reasons may be a bit different than others. So, until I can take a leave from my job, I'll section. This summer, about 500 miles. Can't Wait!!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2005, 13:03
It's a good workout, you can eat like a pig and you can meet chicks.

Stuart
01-17-2005, 13:36

Three better reasons than I was thinking of!!! For get this self validating crap, women and food. I'm in for sure. Don't tell my wife ;) Maybe I'm looking to deep :D :D

Stuart
01-17-2005, 13:54
Or you could ask, 'Why do you want to'? I haven't thru-hiked yet, but one of the reasons I want to is because it fascinates me. The whole idea of being able to walk from one end of this country to the other, fascinates me. Plus, I think it's the closest anyone can get to experiencing the wilderness like our ancesters did in this part of the country. I'm not at a transitional point in my life, so my reasons may be a bit different than others. So, until I can take a leave from my job, I'll section. This summer, about 500 miles. Can't Wait!!

Believe me I am not at a transitional period either. I am entrenched as entrenched can be.

But as to your aspiration why the AT, particularly in regard to the interest in wilderness experience and specifically if you pull of all the sections and get in the 500, what are you looking for in pulling off the whole deal in one go? Why not get in the sections and cruise on out to Wyoming, Montana, Canada, etc. What will bring you back to attempt Ga to Me? (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it.)

Lilred
01-17-2005, 15:35
Believe me I am not at a transitional period either. I am entrenched as entrenched can be.

But as to your aspiration why the AT, particularly in regard to the interest in wilderness experience and specifically if you pull of all the sections and get in the 500, what are you looking for in pulling off the whole deal in one go? Why not get in the sections and cruise on out to Wyoming, Montana, Canada, etc. What will bring you back to attempt Ga to Me? (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it.)

I suppose the familiarity of it. I feel at home in the woods and love the mountains. A few years from now, if I do finish the AT in sections I may decide to thru hike a different trail. Maybe the PCT. I like the idea of walking across a country and dealing with civilization as little as you want to.

Newb
01-17-2005, 16:24
Oh yeah. There's nothing sexier to chicks than hairy, unwashed, stinky hiker meat. I'm sure they feel equally as attractive after a few days on the trail.

Is that romance in the air? Oh, oops, it's eau'd' hiker trash.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2005, 16:32
Obviously you've never thru-hiked.

Newb
01-17-2005, 16:37
Obviously, many things.

Tin Man
01-17-2005, 17:36
Q: Why does the thru-hiker thru-hike?

A: To get to the other side.

Q: Why does the section-hiker section-hike?

A: Has responsibilities that prevent him/her from taking the time to thru-hike. He/she can only imagine what the other side must be like. He/she spends way too much time on WB, Trail Journals and other hiking sites trying to get the feel for the other side - time that could be spent thru-hiking if he/she put his/her mind to it.

A-Train
01-17-2005, 20:30
Cause life is too short to be average, get stuck in routines and sit around wasting time

The Old Fhart
01-17-2005, 20:44
A-Train-"Cause life is too short to be average, get stuck in routines and sit around wasting time."I've lived long enough to do some of both. I have to say that the 31 years I worked for the same company wasn't wasted but all those years did redefine boring at times. They did allow for a home, a family, and now, a lifelong vacation. I can go on a hike without worrying about bills and have even been able to hike enough to meet you on the trail! I may have struck a happy medium-which doesn't mean I assaulted a smiling fortune teller. :)

JojoSmiley
01-18-2005, 09:55
As for me, it was a life long dream the first time and then it was to see what I missed the second time and the third, well, because no woman had ever hiked from Key West to Canada and I wanted to be the first. Tough going at times? Yes! But I still long to be out there even now. Part of what LW said is true, you can eat whatever you want when you r hiking.