PDA

View Full Version : Weather: May-June in NY-ME

Keg
03-30-2011, 19:24
I'm starting in New York early May, ending in Maine in late June.

If you had to guess, whats the average day/night temperatures?
Rain, wind, snow, sleet, ice, tsunami, solar winds, nuclear fallout?

Hows the back flies?
Is "Vermud" gonna be a problem?

I'm one of those ultralight gear losers so I dont really want to bring my 20degree bag, but I'm guessing I'm gonna have to.

hikerboy57
03-30-2011, 19:43
partly something, chance of anything.elevations are pretty tame until you get to VT, so I dont think you'd need the 20 deg bag, although Ive seen snow in the Whites as late as end of July. June is bug season, and with the amount of rain and snow weve had this winter, Im sure theyll be out in full force, (Vermud is probably a given).Black flies arent too much of an issue in NY, get progressively worse as you head N.

Jay_NJ
03-30-2011, 20:06
I can only contribute to NY. Temperature @ harriman state park NY in May can vary from around a high of 85 degrees during the day to a low in the 30's at night in early May. Average I would say low 70's with a night time temp in the low 40's.

I don't go hiking in NY without deet after April.

Migrating Bird
03-30-2011, 20:09
You will need your 20 degree bag, Here in W. Mass, we are not really frost free until Memorial Day. Although it varies year to year, black flies usually start around mid-May (locally called may flies). Once you get to the MA/CT line, the black files will keep you company and as you are walking north you can enjoy the height of the black fly season all the way. Regarding your question regarding temps how does 20=50 nights, 40-80+ sound? You will be warm in NY, CT and MA but as you get into VT, the Whites and into ME you could go from cool to cold even though you are getting into summer due to elevation. FYI the Green Mtns of Vermont are expecting snow Thurs/Fri 12"+. Here 5-9. Above 1200 ft we still have 2 feet on the ground on North facing slopes.

10-K
03-30-2011, 20:28
Did the exact same hike last year - left Bear Mt., NY on May 15th and was on Katahdin on June 25th.

I took my 55* bag with silk liner, Mont Bell Thermawrap, 2 merino wool t-shirts, wool cap, a pair of shorts and 2 pair of socks.

For rain gear I had a ULA rain skirt and an O2 Rainwear jacket.

Never got terribly cold - the coldest I ever got was on the summit of Katahdin but the wind was blowing 500 mph.....

BTW, last year when I went through MA was muddier than VT, black flies were scarce and 3 or 4 times the mosquitoes were bad enough for deet. Fords were never more than calf deep....

Driver8
03-30-2011, 21:49
BTW, last year when I went through MA was muddier than VT, black flies were scarce and 3 or 4 times the mosquitoes were bad enough for deet. Fords were never more than calf deep....

As noted by hikerboy57, this winter was much wetter and snowier than last year, and there's quite a bit of snow on the ground, especially at elevation. Greylock and northern Berkshire County may have 2' at 1200 plus on north-facing slopes, but that's not true in the Taconics of southern Berkshire County and NW Litchfield - Bear, Race, Everett, except maybe the intensely shaded Sages Ravine south face.

Anyhow, it'll almost certainly be all melted in Mass, even at Greylock, come Memorial Day or so when you pass through, but MUD, yes, in Mass and VT in a big way.

Driver8
03-30-2011, 21:51
To be clear, there's snow at elevation in CT and SW Mass, especially in shaded and north-facing areas, just not two feet. Until it snows again Friday, that is. Lol, helluva winter!

Blissful
03-30-2011, 22:20
Last year there was a drought. They are getting later snows this year. Gonna be muddy and buggy.

Keg
03-30-2011, 22:39
Yeah...this winter sucks. It snowed earlier this week in Kentucky. I guess after reading some of your posts I'm still mixed up on what bag to bring...the 40 or the 20. I dont mind being cold during the day, its the night I worry about.

I have a Lafuma synthetic 40, or my mountain hardware down 20.
10-K - Thanks for reminding me about crossing creeks...that completly slipped my mind.

I know I'm gonna regret saying this, and probably be bashing my face into a tree...but I doubt I'm gonna bring the deet. I really just hate applying that stuff everywhere, and then doing it again every couple hours. Worse case, I can yogi it from a weekender or maybe a day hiker and pick up a bottle if it gets too bad.

Keg
03-30-2011, 22:58
Maybe I should list the cloths I'm bringing as well. Dont know weight sorry!

3 pairs of socks, 2 ankle high, 1 knee high for sleeping
2 pairs of cotton underwear
1 pair synthetic running type shorts
1 synthetic t-shirt
1 pair thin thermal underarmor type top and bottom
1 thin columbia fleece
rain jacket and pants, I think the jacket it a mammot??
Trailrunner shoes

Migrating Bird
03-31-2011, 07:00
Last year was a total exception. Spring came 3 weeks early after a light snow year. Water levels in ME were very low June. I did not cross any rivers greater than knee deep.

Regarding my comment of 2' was based on general snow pack in swamps, north facing slopes when I was out last weekend in Otis, MA just to the east of the AT and related to run off (mud). We had very cold temps this week (except yesterday) little to no snow melt. Weather reports now are saying 9=12 for central MA 12=18 for the Greens.