PDA

View Full Version : Is Tyvek worth it?

pafarmboy
03-30-2011, 19:44
I'm a section hiker that goes out for 2 week, 200 mile jaunts. I've learned enough now that I'm trying to shave ounces now instead of pounds. So, is a tyvek groundcloth (5 ounces) worth it? I guess I wanna know if just a sil-nylon floor is:

A) waterproof enough
B) tough enough

I guess I should note that I only use the tent as a backup. I actually prefer the shelters. So, I might use the tent twice in the 2 weeks.

Survey says?

fiddlehead
03-30-2011, 20:09
Sil-nylon is too slippery for me.
I guess I could use it in a pinch but prefer the Tyvek.
On any kind of an incline, you will tend to slide off of it.

As a side note, the Tyvek doubles as a sign for hitchiking (with a Sharpie's help)

10-K
03-30-2011, 20:15
I like to have a piece of tyvek because it comes in handy for many things besides a ground cloth.

It's great to set gear down on so that it doesn't get lost in the leaves, if the ground is wet or muddy you can sit on it and eat lunch and be more comfortable, you can use it to block wind, etc. etc.

Actually, I've never used it for a ground cloth under my tent ever.

garlic08
03-30-2011, 20:15
Henry Shires' website says this: "It depends on the conditions you expect to encounter and your style of camping. The sewn-in flooring is remarkably tough and does not usually require a separate groundsheet. We just never see floors come back for repair. Tyvek groundsheets are very tough and great for sleeping out or taking a break but generally heavier than you need just for floor protection. For use on very rocky ground and desert conditions where puncture wounds are possible, a light--2 mil plastic is fine--floor protector will do the job."

I have not used a groundcloth of any kind with my silnylon tent floor for many years. My Contrail has about 6000 miles on it (much of that in rocky desert) and there is no damage to the floor.

Skidsteer
03-30-2011, 20:23
A groundsheet of any sort is not worth it for me.

I guess I should note that I only use the tent as a backup. I actually prefer the shelters. So, I might use the tent twice in the 2 weeks.

Survey says?

A groundcloth for sleeping in a shelter might be a good idea however.

garlic08
03-30-2011, 20:28
...A groundcloth for sleeping in a shelter might be a good idea however.

I just use my silnylon shelter as a ground cloth if I'm not pitching it. I suppose I would do that in a shelter, too.

Skidsteer
03-30-2011, 20:36
I just use my silnylon shelter as a ground cloth if I'm not pitching it. I suppose I would do that in a shelter, too.

I suppose. It's kind of funny how my mind gets skeeved out at the thought of laying out my tent in a shelter but not on the ground.

tuswm
03-30-2011, 20:45
I have had issues with Tyvek so I plan on trying out poly crow this weekend. The tyvek is durable but on wet ground the water can soak through over night with the pressure of a body on it.

mybackpackingblog
03-30-2011, 21:22
I just bought a 10'x12' piece of Tyec to use as footprints for 2 of my kelty 2 man tents...I am testing it this week out on our land...I fully expect it to perform well...A few of my concerns that we also metioned by some here. 1. It's very rigid and loud. Solution: I have been told to wash it. 2. Is it waterproof? Answer: I don't think it would be used to wrap around houses if it wasn't. 3. It is slick! Solution: I have had to give this one some thought. First...is it's slickness gonna pose that much of a problem using it has footprint for a tent? I don't think so. But I do have an idea to eliminate it's "slickness". I work of a company that deals with all sorts of foams, tape, etc. We have a PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) That has something called "scrim" in it. I'm not sure how to describe it so everyone will understand. It's like a really strong small diameter string that criss-crosses in a hatch pattern. I am thinking that I may be able to laminate the scrim PSA to one side of the TYVEC (even both)...this would provide all the grip you would need and would not has much weight at all. Below is a pic of scrim. we have 60" wide rolls of this with double sided tape on one side...hmmm...I don't know...may work...worth a try...just thinking and tossing out ideas....Hope it makes sense...sorry if i confused any...
http://www.ptcoatings.co.uk/bits/ancillary_products/scrim_tape.jpg

10-K
03-30-2011, 21:40
I suppose. It's kind of funny how my mind gets skeeved out at the thought of laying out my tent in a shelter but not on the ground.

Doesn't take much, does it? :)

daddytwosticks
03-31-2011, 07:39
Maybe do the Jim Wood's treatment to your existing sil floored tent? Will make it tougher/more waterproof and limit sliding around. Or just use 2 mil plastic which is lighter than Tyvek. :)

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2011, 07:55
I'm a section hiker that goes out for 2 week, 200 mile jaunts. I've learned enough now that I'm trying to shave ounces now instead of pounds. So, is a tyvek groundcloth (5 ounces) worth it? I guess I wanna know if just a sil-nylon floor is:

A) waterproof enough
B) tough enough

Survey says?
Normally I'd say no and that's from someone not too concerned about weight, it's just a pain in the ass that serves no purpose. However, that's my advice to tenters, however, you say you'll be doing exclusively shelters (if possible). Shelter floors are dirty and nasty, you may want a barrier. But other than that, NO, not needed.

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2011, 07:57
A groundsheet of any sort is not worth it for me.

A groundcloth for sleeping in a shelter might be a good idea however.
I guess I should read through the other posts before posting:D

DripDry
03-31-2011, 08:20
I like to use Tyvek on a shelter floor to keep my bag clean and protect it from snagging a nail or splinter. In cold weather it also helps to block some of the wind coming through the boards. Make sure you allow room for the shelter mice to get by near your head though. Letting your Tyvek get near the wall crosses the "mouse highway" and they will wake you up all night with the noise of their feet (paws?) on the groundcloth!

Roots
03-31-2011, 08:31
I like to use Tyvek on a shelter floor to keep my bag clean and protect it from snagging a nail or splinter. In cold weather it also helps to block some of the wind coming through the boards. Make sure you allow room for the shelter mice to get by near your head though. Letting your Tyvek get near the wall crosses the "mouse highway" and they will wake you up all night with the noise of their feet (paws?) on the groundcloth!

exactly why I DO NOT stay in a shelter :eek:

you are a brave one! :D

sbhikes
03-31-2011, 10:20
Polycro groundsheets are lighter and cheaper than tyvek. You can get two for $6-8 from Gossamer Gear. I like to use a ground sheet under my tent simply to keep the bottom of the tent clean. The polycro is surprisingly tough and a few holes in it won't matter much at all anyway.