PDA

View Full Version : 2011 PCT snow levels

Skywalker
03-30-2011, 20:27
Spoke with PCT headquarters today in Sacramento. The ominous stories reverberating through the hiker community are true. According to: www.sierrapacktrip.com/html (http://www.sierrapacktrip.com/html) snow levels in the High Sierra are at epic levels. At some points there are drifts equalling a three-story home. The only hope for a linear thru-hike this year is if they get some really warm weather in May and June. Fording will be hell.

On a more upbeat note, the PCT has issued about 600 hiking permits, which puts it on par with other banner years. Congratulations PCT for evading and fading the Recession.

Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Suttree
03-30-2011, 23:38
The only hope for a linear thru-hike this year is if they get some really warm weather in May and June. Fording will be hell.

Hiking Through The Hyperbole. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_through_hyperbole_part_2_snowy_sierra.html)

royalusa
03-31-2011, 08:57
The other record for this year has got to be the amount of hype so early in the game. As Freebird said on TJ: "there are too many variables to predict anything at this point... other than there might be quite a bit of snow unless its an exceptionally hot & dry Spring."

Blissful
03-31-2011, 09:26
According the the JMT forum, there are places where its already melting like crazy. Parts got a dumping while other areas did not. i'm being optimistic, esp where I see Yosemite will reach mid 70s tomorrow

shaggy2004
04-01-2011, 19:30
Not again...

Might as well skip San Jacinto, and then really there's no need to get back on before Baden Powell, 'cause that will be totally impassible. Yep, you'll definitely die if you try it. Probably shouldn't consider the Sierra's before at least late July.

To be on the safe side, just wait till 2012. There's just WAY too much snow this year. ;)

royalusa
04-01-2011, 19:35
Not again...

Might as well skip San Jacinto, and then really there's no need to get back on before Baden Powell, 'cause that will be totally impassible. Yep, you'll definitely die if you try it. Probably shouldn't consider the Sierra's before at least late July.

To be on the safe side, just wait till 2012. There's just WAY too much snow this year. ;)

I'm thinking it's doable this year, but only if we skip from Campo to Manning Park - that'll get us around all the snow and make it a successful thru-hike for us.;)

Blissful
04-01-2011, 19:45
80 degrees in Yosemite today. That's the way, uh huh, uh huh I like it. :)