PDA

View Full Version : Harmony House jugs arrived today!

Different Socks
03-31-2011, 01:07
Finally got my six, 1 gal jugs today of TVP. Was somewhat disappointed that lightest weighing jug was the beef chunks. Got one each of: Beef Chunks, Chicken Chunks, Beef Bits, Taco Bits, Ham Bits and Chicken Bits.

Any recommendations on how to measure them out? I think I read somewhere that it was suggested to use a 1/4 cup for each serving.

Rocket Jones
03-31-2011, 06:22
I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences with them. I've been looking at the HH stuff, but haven't picked anything up yet.

grayfox
03-31-2011, 07:26
I use this brand of TVP even at home. My favorite is the chicken bits and chunks.

First, open the jugs and eat some of each flavor to get an idea of how you like it and how you will use it. You can eat it without cooking, it has an after taste that I find bitter but not unpleasant. If you find any flavor unpalatable by itself you may not be able to stomach it on the trail even disguised by other food. Try using it at home before you pack a lot for trail use!!!!

I usually use about 1/4 cup for one serving and 1/3 to 1/2 cup for two servings of prepared food like soup or stew. Add it last for crunchy texture or along with other dried food for softer texture--no need to cook for a long time.

Once you decide you like it, you can repackage the tvp in smaller amounts. Sandwich size bags for what you will use first. Think about vacuum packing if you will not be using it for some time. Store in a cool dark dry place or in the freezer. What you want to avoid is leaving the tvp in the large container and constantly opening it to use a small amount letting oxygen and moisture in to degrade the remaining contents over time. You might want to pack a variety of flavors in separate baggies in small amounts in one of the jugs, which have a wide opening and seal well.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, the ziplock hand pump sealer works quite well. Put a variety of flavors in small sandwich baggies, just twist the open end so that some air can exit the baggie, and then seal several small bags in quart size vacuum bags and store in pantry or freezer until needed.

I want to say again that you need to cook with this at home befor packing it in quantity for the trail.

Hope this helps, grayfox

ScottP
03-31-2011, 11:07
I've used a lot of HH and they make a good (if pricey) product. I used a kitchen scale.

sarbar
03-31-2011, 16:04
Until you become used to the er....high fiber....only use about 2 Tbsp per person. Then boost up.

Otherwise no one will want to sleep in your tent ;)

Different Socks
03-31-2011, 18:35
Until you become used to the er....high fiber....only use about 2 Tbsp per person. Then boost up.

Otherwise no one will want to sleep in your tent ;)

Yep! Found that out when I tried the sample pack. So though there is that slightly possible problem, I will still put in at least one meal per drop that has tvp.

Rocket Jones
03-31-2011, 19:19
Perfect if you're looking for that solitary backcountry experience. ;)

Different Socks
04-05-2011, 00:38
Think I'm gettin used to it already. Boiled up some pasta tonight for dinner, threw in 1/4 cup taco TVP, plus some dried carrots, olive oil and soy sauce---Yummy!

hikemikehike
04-09-2011, 17:06
what does TVP stand for?

4Bears
04-09-2011, 17:16
Textured Vegetable Protien

LDog
04-09-2011, 17:42
I use this brand of TVP even at home. My favorite is the chicken bits and chunks.

Just ordered 4 oz bags of "Chickenish" and Beefish" bits to try them out. Thanks for the endorsements and, uh, warnings.

Kepley
04-24-2011, 00:26
I bought the 8 different (1) Gallon Jugs of beans from HH and they are really awesome. They are going to go really well with my rice mixtures or soups. Totally worth the $150. Also the jalapeno is good too.