PDA

View Full Version : TP without the tube

Montana Mac
03-31-2011, 08:42
Just saw on the news that Kimberly Clark is now producing TP without the cardboard tube.

Being sold at WallyWorld in test markets.

Blackbird
03-31-2011, 09:40
The paper companies are also making the rolls narrower and claiming more sheets per package of TP.

Our house was built in 2005 and the TP rolls are now about an inch narrower than the TP holders.

Shrinking packaging for he same price: This is your future in the land of the bilked and the bilkers.

Blackbird
03-31-2011, 09:47
FWIW, I never take the tube out of my TP roll when I hike.
I suppose I could, but why?
;-)

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2011, 10:01
http://www.baronbob.com/camouflage-toiletpaper.htm

leaftye
03-31-2011, 10:02
Just saw on the news that Kimberly Clark is now producing TP without the cardboard tube.

Being sold at WallyWorld in test markets.

That sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

The paper companies are also making the rolls narrower and claiming more sheets per package of TP.

Our house was built in 2005 and the TP rolls are now about an inch narrower than the TP holders.

I don't like that at all. The last thing I need is TP that isn't wide enough.

fiddlehead
03-31-2011, 10:02
Simple enough to pull the tube out.
Why? weight and space.
Why carry something you don't need (unless you have another use for it)

So, while American's a$$es are getting fatter, they are going to make toilet paper smaller.
I love it.

Blackbird
03-31-2011, 10:17
My poop kit consists of a gallon Ziplock that contains a roll of TP, a pack of Wet Ones antibacterial wipes and a small bottle of Purell or equivalent. The TP tube poses no burden for me.

The weight savings of a cardboard toilet paper tube is probably 0.2 of an ounce. That's less than a mouthful of water weighs, I'd guess.

Pulling it out to save weight is akin to cutting the handle off your toothbrush.

Next up: Replacing all zippers with velcro to save that massive weight.

There are limits beyond which madness DOES lie.
:)

Hikes in Rain
03-31-2011, 10:32
Ah, but wherein is that limit? That's the question?!?

I found that removal of the tube allows the roll to flatten a little more, especially with partial rolls. I've yet to figure out why that's significant, but I keep doing it.

paistes5
03-31-2011, 10:55
Saw in Wally World that Coleman sells tp without the tube. Took some on my last trip and seemed to work fine. Very compact.

Montana Mac
03-31-2011, 11:40
Simple enough to pull the tube out.
Why? weight and space.
Why carry something you don't need (unless you have another use for it)

So, while American's a$$es are getting fatter, they are going to make toilet paper smaller.
I love it.

I agree - very easy to do

I found that removal of the tube allows the roll to flatten a little more, especially with partial rolls. I've yet to figure out why that's significant, but I keep doing it.

That is the reason I removed the tube - not the weight factor

Blackbird
03-31-2011, 12:34
I can see that.
I give my TP roll a smoosh to flatten it out when I pack it then I just let it take care of itself.

However, the ounces do add up and the bulk does multiply, especially when carrying four, five, six rolls of TP.

Blissful
03-31-2011, 13:00
However, the ounces do add up and the bulk does multiply, especially when carrying four, five, six rolls of TP.

oh no visions of Minnesota Smith :D

RevLee
03-31-2011, 13:19
I thought only scouts took a whole roll of TP on a trip. About 15' of the extra strength will last for a week, so why take a month's worth?

Montana Mac
03-31-2011, 13:20
oh no visions of Minnesota Smith :D
You would have to add in the cases of bottled water :p

Hikes in Rain
03-31-2011, 13:41
.... About 15' of the extra strength will last for a week, .....

Except for those "pesky days" when that's not enough for one time. ;)

daddytwosticks
03-31-2011, 15:40
TMI...15 feet of heavy doody TP for a week? No way, not with me! :0

leaftye
03-31-2011, 15:47
TMI...15 feet of heavy doody TP for a week? No way, not with me! :0

+1 Not even close.

WingedMonkey
03-31-2011, 15:47
Saw in Wally World that Coleman sells tp without the tube. Took some on my last trip and seemed to work fine. Very compact.

Why not just use dollar bills? Not as absorbent but probably cheaper.

:sun

Pony
03-31-2011, 18:00
I just use leaves. The shiny ones that are in groups of three work best, and you don't have to carry it.

Toolumpy
03-31-2011, 18:06
I take the tube out but when taking tp from the roll I take it from the inside. Just open zip bag a little and grab the end. Roll does not unwind.

leaftye
03-31-2011, 18:29
I just use leaves. The shiny ones that are in groups of three work best, and you don't have to carry it.

If you're lucky, there will be plenty of red berries on it for an after-evacuation snack.

Pony
03-31-2011, 18:44
All kidding aside, I went all summer on the trail without getting any poison ivy. When I got home, I weeded a flower bed that I didn't even know had Ivy in it and got the worst case of poison ivy in my life. Go figure.

Migrating Bird
03-31-2011, 18:47
I thought only scouts took a whole roll of TP on a trip. About 15' of the extra strength will last for a week, so why take a month's worth?

I don't see the point of carrying a whole roll either, way overkill, just rewind some and put it in a zip lock with a few wipes. I carry two bags, extra if one gets left behind or have the nasties. Grab some more when you hit town to re-supply. Hand sanitizer rides where I can get it more frequently.

weary
03-31-2011, 20:59

It's only significant if your pack hasn't the volume to carry everything you think you need for a long distance hike. The answer, re-examine your needs, and reduce your weight.

weary
03-31-2011, 21:02
I can see that.
...However, the ounces do add up and the bulk does multiply, especially when carrying four, five, six rolls of TP.
Why would anyone do that?

Blackbird
04-01-2011, 14:07
Why would anyone do that?

If you met such a person (and I have), you could ask him yourself.
However, sometimes it's best not to ask about such things.
A man's TP load is a very personal and private matter.

(Hint: The guy's name rhymed with Innismota Sith)

garlic08
04-01-2011, 14:49
This is from the USA Today article:

"The 17 billion toilet paper tubes produced annually in the USA account for 160 million pounds of trash, according to Kimberly-Clark estimates..."

That's a lot of toilet paper.

Counting squares, removing the tube--it's all a game. It really means very little, and doesn't do any harm at all. I can't believe anyone really cares how anyone else wipes his or her butt.

Hikes in Rain
04-01-2011, 15:02
I'd be willing to bet that somewhere, there's a committee charged with caring and investigating.

mudhead
04-01-2011, 16:45
I love it.

The biznis end is probably the same size, but I'm not checking.

How's the monkey trail?

Blackbird
04-02-2011, 08:10
This is from the USA Today article:

"The 17 billion toilet paper tubes produced annually in the USA account for 160 million pounds of trash, according to Kimberly-Clark estimates..."

That's a lot of toilet paper.

Counting squares, removing the tube--it's all a game. It really means very little, and doesn't do any harm at all. I can't believe anyone really cares how anyone else wipes his or her butt.

And will they drop the price of the TP when they drop the center tubes?
Oh no, oh nosiree.

tigerpaw
04-02-2011, 08:25
Like Toolumpy said, take the tube out and pull from the center. Army guy showed me and called it "field stripping". Wrap a bit of duct tape around the outside and it rolls off nice from the inside. You don't need a whole roll, though.

DBCFlash
04-02-2011, 08:25
I think some years back Sheryl Crow suggested using only one square per visit. I have to think her diet and digestive tract are significantly different than mine. If I used only one square, I'd need two gallons of water and a half a bar of soap just to wash my hands...and that's on a good day

veteran
04-02-2011, 08:59
Wipe it with Cash

http://www.baronbob.com/100DOLLARS.jpg

Nearly Normal
04-02-2011, 20:39
FWIW, I never take the tube out of my TP roll when I hike.
I suppose I could, but why?
;-)

You'd be a gram weennie. Don't bother. Most of them can't shut up.