PDA

View Full Version : Good Place To Provide Trail Magic In Smokies?

ATSomeday
03-31-2011, 11:04
There is a chance I might be in the Smokies Easter weekend, I was wondering where there might be a good place to do some trail magic for any Thru Hikers that would be coming through there that weekend.

Would there still be a pretty good number coming through that late into April, or would most already be past there?

Thanks

Joe

d.o.c
03-31-2011, 11:06
newfound gap is realy your only option.. i think u will still be seeing plenty of hikers

brian039
03-31-2011, 11:07
Late April will be good, you could set up at Fontana Dam, Clingman's Dome, or Newfound Gap.

Lone Wolf
03-31-2011, 11:26
card tricks and stuff?

Praha4
03-31-2011, 11:33
Newfound Gap is the best place to help thru hikers in gsmnp on the AT. Anything would be much appreciated. Snacks, drinks, shuttle rides into Gatlinburg, whatever you can do would be great

Digger'02
03-31-2011, 11:49
ok ok ok. So dont just flame the crap out of me. I thru'd in 02, I got a ton of trail magic and I loved it.

Some say that Trail Magic is not appropriate in some places. Some would say wilderness. Some would say that because the Smokies is proposed wilderness that trail magic at NFG is innapropriate. Some would then reply that NFG is about as un-wilderness as you get. Others would then say that the park does not really like big opperations at NFG.

max patch
03-31-2011, 12:03
If you insist on doing so then the parking lot at NFG is probably one of the best places to do this. That location won't screw up the wilderness experience of anyone.
The patio at Neels Gap is another place.

ATSomeday
03-31-2011, 13:07
My daughter knows some card tricks, but I was thinking more along the lines of soft drinks, candy bars, snack type stuff.

From the many AT books I have read, I thought a kind gift from a stranger was well appreciated by most thru hikers. Now I am slightly second guessing my opinion based on some of the comments.

Regardless, thanks for the location options.

Joe

Blissful
03-31-2011, 13:10
My daughter knows some card tricks, but I was thinking more along the lines of soft drinks, candy bars, snack type stuff.

From the many AT books I have read, I thought a kind gift from a stranger was well appreciated by most thru hikers. Now I am slightly second guessing my opinion based on some of the comments.

Joe

Just set up at Newfound Gap and have fun meeting others.

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2011, 13:45

Joe
Can she make a mountain disappear; that would be some really good magic.

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2011, 13:50

Joe
Please read: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71031

Alligator
03-31-2011, 14:25
Please read: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71031Please use the quoted thread link to post any comments against trail magic and discontinue hijacking these simple location requests. Thanks.

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 16:12
Anywhere is good as long as you stay with your stuff and pack it out. Thanks

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-01-2011, 14:41
card tricks and stuff?

I got your magic;)