PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad plus underquilt??

mountaineer
01-17-2005, 13:43
I see posts with people still trying to manipulate a sleeping pad, even with the underquilt, so my questions are:

1. For those who have bought an underquilt, are you leaving the sleeping pad at home?

2. For those who still keep the sleeping pad for extra warmth and/or for sleeping on the ground/shelters when necessary, could you put the sleeping pad between the underquilt and hammock for the extra protection, without the hassle of having it directly under you inside the hammock? I haven't seen this suggestion (that's not to say it hasn't been made) and it seems logical to me, so I wonder if anyone's tried it or has a reason why it wouldn't work... :-?

I have the REI Sub-Kilo 20* bag, the JRB Nest and 8x8 tarp for my HH Ultralight A-Sym, and a Thermarest (which I may or may not bring... ).

neo
01-17-2005, 14:11
in the summer i use my hennesey non asym ultralite backpacker with a rei travel sack,in the cooler weater my jacksrbetter 8x8 tarp,python skins,a jacksrbetter prototype poncho liner,with a 36x50x.75 in trimmed oware pad between hammock and poncho liner under quilt.:sun neo

Goalkeeper31
01-18-2005, 13:45
I, for one, will be leaving the pad behind. I found the underquilt to be adequate for keeping me warm from underneath.

If I chose to take it when for some reason I knew I would need it for ground sleeping, I would DEFINITELY try using it between hammock bottom and underquilt rather than wrestle with it inside the hammock. I have not tried this per se, but would expect it to work pretty well.

Goalkeeper31

trippclark
01-18-2005, 16:00
I also have been leaving the pad at home. I have the same REI sub kilo bag that you do and the JRB nest. Those two, with generous warm clothing would, I expect, keep me comfortable to perhaps 35 - 40 degrees and "bearable" to about 30. Below that, I would need to add more insulation below. I am a cold sleeper though, and your tolerance and comfort levels might be different.

I have tried succesfully a few different things for lower temps. One that worked was putting a down vest between the nest and the hammock bottom beneath my torso. This helped noticeable. In real cold weather, I moved from my Hennessy to my Speer hammock and attached the nest first and then the down Peapod. I then used a down topblanket. I could have used the SubKilo instead for more insulation, but it was not necessary and weighs twice as much as the top blanket because it is larger and has the zipper which adds weight. This setup with the peapod and next did add quite a bit of bulk, but it was warm.