PDA

View Full Version : First Night in a Moment

XCskiNYC
03-31-2011, 15:16
Finally got to sleep in my TarpTent Moment Sunday night up in the notch just east of Arden Mountain.

There was a decent NW breeze, but the notch kept me pretty protected from wind. The air was probably not very humid with the high pressure system sitting on the area. Still, I never felt any moistness on the ceiling.

I'm used to a pretty tight double-wall tent but didnt' notice much draft from the open lower mesh walls.

The biggest impression the tent made was how slippery the floor was. Now it's clear to me why people suggest treating it to give it more grip. The stealth camping site had looked pretty flat, but the very slight tilt to the right made my pad end up sliding into the inner mesh zippered wall.

True to its name, setup and take down were very fast.

STICK
03-31-2011, 21:39
Aren't new tents fun, or heck, for that matter, most any new gear... and yeah, those sil floors take a little while to get used to...

10-K
03-31-2011, 22:25
Are you a tall fellow? Did you have plenty of room?

XCskiNYC
03-31-2011, 22:34
I'm 5-8. Their seemed to be some room left. It should be easily comfortable for up to maybe 6-0. My whole pack was lying behind my head (it started out being a pillow and then slipped backwards -- the sleeping pad kinda went the other way)

STICK
03-31-2011, 22:56
10-K, what are you worried for? I am sure you got plenty of room in that LightHeart tent... :)

Then again, you could go ahead and get a Moment too...

XCskiNYC, what kind of sleeping pad did you use? I have found that my NeoAir doesn't slip around too bad in my Lunar Duo which has a UL sil floor too. My wife used my Exped and it moved around a little more, but the bottom of the Neo is somewhat tacky feeling.

10-K
04-01-2011, 05:40
I was just curious because I went back and forth between the Moment and Rainbow before deciding on the Rainbow.

The Rainbow has all the room I need in a 1 person tent and I'm 6'2". Just wondering if the Moment is as spacious as the Rainbow for a tall person.

Big Dawg
04-01-2011, 09:11
I'm plenty comfy in my Moment at 6'5"

Storm
04-01-2011, 09:14
I'm about 6'1" and I had a little room left over in my moment. I spotted the floor with thickened seam sealer and my pad still slides unless the tent is on very level ground. Will either change pads or add more sealer to the floor or pad.

I have had a couple nights where there was a lot of moisture on the tent. Found that opening the ends of the tent pretty much eliminated that if there was any breeze at all. Love the fast setup and take down and can't ask for much more weight wise.

camper10469
04-01-2011, 09:14
Using GE Silicon sealent (not the latex stuff), make an array of small dots using your finger as an applicator to dot it on. Be sure they are very thin n keep em small. Let it cure over night.

The thin dots won't add any weight to the tent, just act like anti skid pads.

RayBan
04-01-2011, 11:20

As a NOLS instructor once said, "everything weighs something".

XCskiNYC
04-01-2011, 14:15
...what kind of sleeping pad did you use? I have found that my NeoAir doesn't slip around too bad in my Lunar Duo which has a UL sil floor too. My wife used my Exped and it moved around a little more, but the bottom of the Neo is somewhat tacky feeling.

It's a Campmor house brand self-inflating 1#12 that they stopped selling. The outer material seems to be a coated nylon, slightly rough to the touch. Seems like it might have been OEM'ed by Pacific Outdoor Equipment. My BA Clearview, which is pure vinyl, would probably grip better. Now if I can just find it

I was just curious because I went back and forth between the Moment and Rainbow before deciding on the Rainbow.

The Rainbow has all the room I need in a 1 person tent and I'm 6'2". Just wondering if the Moment is as spacious as the Rainbow for a tall person.

I thought you were a Moment guy. Now I'm going to agonize over the Moment (it seems though that Henry Shires doesn't accept returns if the tent's been used past a backyard setup, or at least he discourages them).

I was a little disappointed in the Moment dimensions once it really got used to live in for a night. Initially, setting it up in a park to check it out, it seemed to pass the "rainy day" test, i.e. it had enough room to spend hours in, sitting in the center where it's got the headroom and the most side-to-side width (plus enough of a vestibule to safely cook with a cannister stove). What was disappointing upon sleeping in the tent was how narrow it is at the head end (or foot end, depending). Still, a medium-sized REI Flash 65 could lie crosswise in the space so it's not all that narrow. But this might not work well on a very humid or rainy night if the pack's pressing against the walls; it could bring a lot of moisture off the walls and onto the pack. I like using my pack for a pillow and that's apparently not going to be doable in the Moment unless maybe adding some sticky spots to the floor as suggested will keep the pack from sliding out from under my head.

I'm about 6'1" and I had a little room left over in my moment. I spotted the floor with thickened seam sealer and my pad still slides unless the tent is on very level ground. Will either change pads or add more sealer to the floor or pad.

I have had a couple nights where there was a lot of moisture on the tent. Found that opening the ends of the tent pretty much eliminated that if there was any breeze at all. Love the fast setup and take down and can't ask for much more weight wise.

++1 on the weight and easy setup/takedown. Those factors are probably going to overcome my dislike of the slippy factor and the narrowness at the head and foot.

Using GE Silicon sealent (not the latex stuff), make an array of small dots using your finger as an applicator to dot it on. Be sure they are very thin n keep em small. Let it cure over night.

Thank you camper.

10-K
04-02-2011, 09:49
I thought you were a Moment guy. Now I'm going to agonize over the Moment (it seems though that Henry Shires doesn't accept returns if the tent's been used past a backyard setup, or at least he discourages them).

The Rainbow is the best single person tent I've ever tried in terms of efficient use of space for a big guy. I can get ALL my stuff in there and still have space to misplace stuff. Fortunately, I can hang my headlamp from a loop in the roof so I can find it again.

I would say this is very close to true:

In terms of space, the Rainbow is for a 1 person tent is as a Lunar Duo is to a 2 person tent.

FamilyGuy
04-02-2011, 14:44
I had posted a few times about the dimensions. It seems to work better for those comfortably under 6 feet. I am over that and had some difficulty in managing condensation. The narrow ends meant that I kept hitting the sides and my quilt would get soaked.

I still have a Rainbow, however, and really like it. Much larger than the Moment.

hike500
04-03-2011, 12:52
[QUOTE=10-K;1139130]The Rainbow is the best single person tent I've ever tried in terms of efficient use of space for a big guy.

I just used my Rainbow for the first time and I must say it is almost a perfect tent. Easy set up and held up against wind very well!

Tipi Walter
04-03-2011, 12:59
As a NOLS instructor once said, "everything weighs something".

He should know as they require their students to routinely carry 40% of their body weight in gear.

STICK
04-03-2011, 13:10

Last night I used the remainder of a tube of SilNet (about 2/3 of the tube was left) to make dots approximately 2 in in diameter as well as 2 horizontal lines across the outside bottom of my Lunar Duo. I gotta get this thing to stop sliding around!

So, right now I am debating whether or not I should powder it. I have found that if I don't powder the SilNet it will stick to itself and result in a lot of peeling. However, I am concerned now that powdering it may take away the tackiness, which is what I want...

Franco
04-03-2011, 19:28
People can do and believe what they like , however...
I have been seam sealing tents for almost 20 years and have done many dozens.
( I do now a couple a week on average but have also done 4 in a day as well as two or three at a time on several occasions...)
The first and only time I used talcum powder was about two weeks ago when I received a shipment at about 9:30am and by 4:30PM I had two Moments seam sealed and packed up ready to catch the 5PM postal deadline.
If you let the seam sealer dry, it can take more that 24 hours , you do not need to put powder on them...
(silicone dries faster in high humidity )
Franco

10-K
04-03-2011, 19:41
If you used the same pad with the tent every time I wonder how a couple of velcro strips would work?

Franco
04-03-2011, 20:47
I would not do that because it could cause some abrasion on the fabric above when in transit.
Franco

STICK
04-03-2011, 20:58
After a quick little stick test today, I decided not to powder it and just took the tent out and set it up using the tyvek ground sheet. I figured it would pick up some dirt or dust or whatever and do it for me. it was kind of hard to tell though how well it would work since the wind was blowing pretty hard and at times the floor wasn't even staying on the ground. (Seriously, at times I could look all the way under it, but of course I had nothing inside it...) Check out the video here:

http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/03/just-playing-around/

The first time I used the SilNet though was with some MLD eVENT mitts. I let them dry for almost 36 hours and I figured they were good. I unstuffed them and crammed them together and put them away. The next time I pulled them out, well they were stuck together pretty good. After I peeled them away, well, it wouldn't hurt to peel the rest off and do them over, but I figure they will be ok for a while...I gotta get some more SilNet now anyway after last nights project...

XCskiNYC
04-04-2011, 23:59
I slept out in the Moment on the AT this past weekend just east of the peak of Buchanan Mountain in Orange Co. Carefully chose a very flat spot and had no sliding problems. That's not a great solution as flat tent spots sometimes just aren't to be found, especially in stealth sites.

One thing noticeable is that this tent doesn't have that much headroom. It's fine for me in the center, but there doesn't appear to be all that much room over my head.

The weight is great and also the compact size. Two separate people, with no prompting, have looked at my pack and said "You have a tent in there?"

WaitingInTheWeeds
04-05-2011, 00:16
Just a heads up for anyone considering getting the Moment. They are back ordered right now. I was really looking foward to getting mine until I found out it wouldn't get here before I left for GA. I had to change my order to the Rainbow. I'm glad to see so many like the Rainbow. Even though it is 4oz heavier and has a few extra stakes it was the next best option imo. Only the trail will tell though...

XCskiNYC
04-05-2011, 00:24
You could contact them and see if they'll get it faster for you. They were backordered last summer as well, at least a month wait. But they might speed it up some if you tell them you really need it by a certain leave-date.

Rick500
04-05-2011, 08:20
I think the best thing about the Moment is that it only has two stakes and goes up in literally a couple minutes. (Well, I might take four or five minutes, but I'm not usually in a hurry about it.)

camper10469
04-05-2011, 10:18
The GE silcon cures faster than seam sealer and is a harder rubber since it's not thinned with anything to make it more liquid.

Make very small dots (grippers) not large 2" round cup holders.

If you don't want to do this on the tent, do it to the bottom of your matt? If you are leary about doing this at all... do a side by side test on some scrap material first to see if GE or McNet is better?

skinewmexico
04-05-2011, 11:52
Just a heads up for anyone considering getting the Moment. They are back ordered right now. I was really looking foward to getting mine until I found out it wouldn't get here before I left for GA. I had to change my order to the Rainbow. I'm glad to see so many like the Rainbow. Even though it is 4oz heavier and has a few extra stakes it was the next best option imo. Only the trail will tell though...

I sold my Moment and bought a Rainbow, so I could sleep 2 in an emergency. They're all good.

4Bears
04-05-2011, 17:26
In consideration of the TT Moment, if you use the fre-standing option on the Moment, you will be the same weight as the TT Rainbow with the liner plus more room, though I do like the idea of having a tent up in just a minute but 2 minutes isn't bad either.

88BlueGT
04-06-2011, 12:33
Keep the opinions flowing guys, this is great stuff! I was using a Squall 2 that I was sharing with someone but that person is moving away so its time to get my own tent now. I don't think I'm going to get the Squall 2 again for one main reason, I don't like the idea of having my poles right in front of the entrance which did cause some-what of a problem a few times. I was looking into getting the moment but am now reconsidering?

May end up with a Contrail due to the weight-sq/ft ratio...

88BlueGT
04-06-2011, 12:34
But than again I have the same problem with the front pole setup, it is only one though? Wonder how much of a difference this makes...

Franco
04-06-2011, 18:17
You can set up the Squall with the poles slightly apart (still wider than a lot of "doors" in other tents) and you can also set up the Contrail with two poles so that you have no pole in the way.
( handles up. You may need to practice this at home first...)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-size.jpg
Franco

88BlueGT
04-06-2011, 23:02
hmm, that looks significantly better than the way I had it. I have only set it up a few times, guess it shows lol Maybe I should practice in the backyard a bit before I decide.

Its funny how common it is the see a ULA ruck next to someones TarpTent, it's just a combination that goes together so perfectly!

Solrider
04-07-2011, 13:20
I have to say I feel like the only person who must be having problems with the set-up of this tent. I feel like I'm constantly tweaking the guide lines at the ends to get it tight enough and just right. Also, all of the pictures I see of them set up, the pole seems to have this great high and tight arch creating that sit up headroom for a 6 foot person.....with mine it has an arch but no matter what I do I can't get it to look like the pics! I'm 5'11", and while I do have some room to sit-up in it its not as much as I'd hoped.

I've only set it up in the backyard a couple times. The first time the ground was so wet I couldn't get the stakes to stay in, so I figured hey I've got the additional pole to make it freestanding! Please note this tent is not what I would consider free standing (able to stand alone without being staked out), although it is specifically advertised that way. You still must stake the tent out with the cross pole....the additional pole is only there as additional support in wind and snow.

The second time I set it up was yesterday, the ground had dried out but it was cloudy and looking like rain. After fiddling with it for a bit I finally got it up. I was called in to work, and the weather turned into a downpour while gone. I am happy to report that it was dry as a bone inside even though I accidentally left the outer door open! Oh speaking of the outer door, major issues getting it to zip open/closed easily.

I really, really want to love this tent. Its super light, has a great amount of room inside and I love the vestibule area. But so far its been a bit disappointing to me. I chose the Moment as my go to tent for all solo adventures: Backpacking, bike touring, bikepacking and on the motorcycle. Although its packsize is a bit longer than I'd like I just couldn't ignore the amount of room you get for the weight and the supposed quick set up time. I also like the color, for stealth camping it can't be beat! I do not have the option of carrying a trekking pole with me on anything but the backpacking so a tent that requires that is not an option.

I'm going to continue playing with it this weekend in the yard to see if I just need more practice with the set up, and I'll be taking it on a bike tour in a couple of weeks for a real-world trial, but I may be going back to look at a Nemo tent instead.

bigcranky
04-07-2011, 14:57
Huh, sorry you are having issues with your Moment. My center pole does make a nice tight high arch in the middle, and while I do need to fiddle with the guy lines on the end, once I get them right, they stay that way for the rest of the night.

You might take some photos of your tent and email Henry Shires for some additional help. I have found their customer support to be first-rate.

XCskiNYC
04-07-2011, 15:48
Thanks for the headsup Solrider. I'm going to have to experiment with the longitudinal pole to see how it works. I haven't wanted to bother bringing it along on any hikes because it's about a half pound.

The Moment has quite a few adjustments that you loosen and tighten the bottom perimeter. Also, there's a little snap buckle just below the velcro patch that helps seal the tent wall at the bottom of the front zipper. Maybe it'll help if you try tightening it up along the perimeter.

Frankly, I'm a little confused about the intermediate ties that run from the ridgeline up to the longitudinal pole. It's not clear to me how those are fastened. If anybody has any pics go ahead and post.

88BlueGT
04-07-2011, 15:52
You are not the only one, they can be finicky sometimes (for me atleast)

Solrider
04-07-2011, 15:55
I just went out and snapped some pics of mine up....I'm running off to work now so I'll have to post later but maybe I'm just overthinking the set up and its perfectly fine?

Franco
04-07-2011, 19:20
The Moment with the crossing pole in place is indeed freestanding...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Moment-freestanding.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Moment-freestanding-1.jpg
The head height given by TT is 39". Mine measures between 39 an 40".
takes me about a minute to set it up taut but just for fun I have done that in 49 sec.
No there is no trick involved...
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/20/CWZQKivY2SA (http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/20/CWZQKivY2SA)
(that was one of numerous attempts, all under 1 min, but I had to beat HS time of 55 sec)
Franco

Solrider
04-07-2011, 20:20
Ok here are my pictures. The main issue it seems I am having is with the bottom/side tension.

Here are pics of each side with the door zipped and clipped closed....nice arch of the pole, no problem:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5Rzg615HI/AAAAAAAADew/WRvfftP_rik/s640/IMG_5135.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5SKcJoLrI/AAAAAAAADe0/DQjKJD_e1es/s512/IMG_5136.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5SQp_qWAI/AAAAAAAADfE/SlTwTSgTA1Q/s640/IMG_5137.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5SQNgSGfI/AAAAAAAADfA/WskrGV4fQ3U/s512/IMG_5138.JPG

Where I start to have major issues is when I unzip/clip the door. The tension of the door being closed is pulling the arch up, but as soon as it opens, this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5SKioOE3I/AAAAAAAADe4/hw1jjx-uR-g/s512/IMG_5140.JPG
No longer a nice tall arch. Can I still sleep inside? Sure, but this is creating another problem:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ5STRerlcI/AAAAAAAADfQ/4QhwlbUN89M/s640/IMG_5139.JPG

Its so tight that the velcro will no longer reach to expand the floor. So I figured, ok user error, and loosened up the bottom tensions, but still had the same issue. Then I undid everything, re-staked, re-tensioned...still the same. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

As for the crosspole and freestanding thing, my tent looks nothing like that when I attach the crosspole. The ends bow up so badly there is no way the tent can keep its shape on its own, let alone actually freestand on the ground unless I stake it out.

I'm certainly open to tips and recommendations. Like I said I really want to love this tent and if the problem is me, I'm willing to accept that. :D But everytime I go out there and mess with this thing, the Nemo looks better and better. At the end of a long day of hiking or riding the last thing I want to be doing is fiddling with my tent.

bigcranky
04-07-2011, 20:55
There is something seriously wrong with that, not sure what. Franco or Henry should be able to tell you.

Franco
04-07-2011, 21:34
Solrider
First thing you should note is the angle of the pitch lock (end triangle) in my pics. Note that it forms a "pyramid".
Your end is almost vertical.
Start with the tie out cord fully out . In the sun silnylon shrinks so there is no reason to pull those tie-out in .
The second picture in post 38 clearly shows that the bottom gross grain ribbon that gives the correct distance pole end to pole end is not fully stretched. That is why the pole end are too close together.
Pic N5 looks right but you still have all those wrinkles possibly because the ends are not set correctly.
That I can see (pic 5 post 38) apart from having those tie out pulled in the end is also not parallel to the pole (the left end is closer than the right)
Try this. Set up the Moment with just the pole inside. It should look like this :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/A-flat-Moment.jpg

Pole tip to pole tip it is 76.5 "
Once you get this right than set it up with the end tie out (mini guylines) fully out, and make sure that the ends are parallel to the pole and each other.
If you insert the cross pole with your ends pulled in like in your shots, no it will not look as it does in mine...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Moment-2.jpg
Franco

Big Dawg
04-07-2011, 21:51
There is something seriously wrong with that, not sure what. Franco or Henry should be able to tell you.

Yeah, no doubt. Mine has never looked like Solrider's. I've always been able to set up mine w/in a minute, taut and easy to adjust. It looks like Franco's suggestions should resolve the issue. Hope so, cause the Moment is a winner in my book!

Solrider
04-07-2011, 22:18
Well I did some measuring and its actually more like 74.5 pole tip to pole tip.

Before taking it down I went out and adjusted the bottom ribbons and that didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Part of the issue with the wrinkles is from the wind...its been a very windy day here in Phoenix and it was moving a lot while taking the pics, but I agree there is something very wrong here.

I think I'm not following you when you say tie-out. Are you talking about the ones on the ends by the struts? Or something else? I really can't seem to find anything else to adjust here. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing!

I'll have to give this a shot again on Saturday now that its dark and I work 12 hours tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I really hope to get this dialed in.

Mfrenchy
04-07-2011, 23:05
Hey Solrider, I just bought the moment as well. Are you certain you are using the correct pole in the hoop? If you have both poles it might just be a mix up.

Also, does anyone know what the advantage is having the pole sleeve instead of clips for attaching the tarp to the pole?

Franco
04-07-2011, 23:11
Solrider
The tie outs are the bit of string (TripTease "guyline") attached to the end struts.
As you can see yours are almost half a way pulled in causing the end triangle to be almost vertical when it should look like it does in my and the official TT pictures (as well as in your instruction sheet)
The reason you can pull them in is so that when the shelter sags due to the fabric cooling down (wet and or cold) you do not need to re stake it, however you will still pull each end in 1-2 inches not as much as you have done.
So again have those cord fully extended , stake one end down then when you stake the other you pull the shelter away from the other end as far as you can (don't over do it...) then stake it in.
Have a look at the set up video on the TT site for this :

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html#videos (http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html#videos)
Franco

Franco
04-07-2011, 23:25
"advantage is having the pole sleeve instead of clips for attaching the tarp to the pole?"

It can be faster to set up (tip: point the pole downwards when threading...) and does distribute stress better ( for wind and snow)
(it may also look nicer...)
Franco

Franco
04-08-2011, 00:58
Maybe this will clear that bit up :
this is the correct way :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Moment-end-right.jpg

this is the other way....
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Moment-end-not-so-right.jpg

Franco

Solrider
04-08-2011, 01:24
Well folks, I have finally figured out the problem. I have the wrong poles.

I couldn't stand to wait until Saturday to figure this out (blame my OCD) so I took the tent out to the front courtyard to try some new techniques that Franco mentioned. I made sure the tie-outs at the ends were loose, I made sure I had my pyramid..it still didn't look right, and I still couldn't get that bottom part to velcro. I sat out there for a while and my answer kept coming back to the center pole, it just wasn't arching enough. So I thought what the heck, I'll try the other pole. I pulled it out and kind of held it up and realized that it didn't seem long enough to do the cross section (which would explain why it bowed at the ends so badly and wouldn't freestand). I stuffed it through the center slot, and although still not correct it was a VAST improvement over the other.

My conclusion: I've got the wrong poles.
My confirmation: I pulled out the instruction sheet which mentions a 7 segment 10 ft pole for the center. The one I have is 6 segments and only 9 ft.

I have not measured the cross-section pole but it is clearly wrong also.

Now, my problem...I purchased this tent used from someone off this very forum. I assume the warranty for the tent doesn't transfer? I'm more than willing to give this tent another shot if I can get my hands on the proper poles.

I'm going to pm the person I purchased from to see if they have the proper ones. If not, Franco do you know if I can purchase just the poles from Henry?

Thanks everyone for assisting me in solving this mystery! :banana

Solrider
04-08-2011, 01:46
Edit to my above post! I took the other pole out and measured and it is indeed the correct center pole!! :rolleyes: It was so tight and brought the sides up so much higher that I figured it too was off, but after looking at additional pictures that is how its supposed to be!

At least now I can use tent while waiting to get my hands on the correct crosspole!

And I can sleep well tonight!!

Some night shots for you:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ6f0Ji70lI/AAAAAAAADfY/NaMawCDH2WM/s640/IMG_5141.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ6f0GMD_oI/AAAAAAAADfg/2fZgIDAEnyU/s512/IMG_5143.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_OUn1JaeQCTU/TZ6f2YBLLLI/AAAAAAAADfk/bds9eAsBHq8/s640/IMG_5142.JPG

Now THAT looks like the pictures! :D

bigcranky
04-08-2011, 11:23
Much better now. Glad you figured it out.

Chubbs4U
04-08-2011, 13:03
Oh man. I should just buy a dang tent. Every time I read a different post my inclination is to lean to that tent. Looks great and glad you got it figured out.

Solrider
04-08-2011, 14:04
I'll be sure to post up a review of it after I return from my mini bike tour next weekend! Very excited!!

XCskiNYC
04-08-2011, 14:41
... I also like the color, for stealth camping it can't be beat! ...

It's close to the color of the granite rock you find near peaks, close to the color of leaves, even pretty close to the bark of quite a few trees. There may be no "ideal" camo color (and if Henry was really aiming for a camo tent he'd have actually made it a camo pattern but that would have probably made the tent less attractive in the eyes of many potential buyers because of the association with hunting), but this shade of light green is darn good.

Maybe a new sport will start out, Moment Stealthing. You set up your Moment somewhere that it could potentially be seen, but in an area where it optimally blends with its background. Then the panel of judges walks through the woods. The winner: whomever's tent takes the longest to spot or never gets spotted.

Big Dawg
04-08-2011, 15:49
Now THAT'S the Moment I'm used to seeing!! Glad you worked it out Solrider. Now go out and have fun with it!

88BlueGT
04-08-2011, 15:56
Glad you figured it out, looks great! Now you don't have to think out it for 12hrs straight at work! :)

Chubbs4U
04-09-2011, 00:01
so for all of you who have a moment, why did you go with that tent instead of say the rainbow?

Rick500
04-09-2011, 00:34
I liked only having two stakes...and the Moment is a few ounces lighter than the Rainbow. Perfect size for me too.

Big Dawg
04-09-2011, 09:25
so for all of you who have a moment, why did you go with that tent instead of say the rainbow?

Overall tent length of 110" (big plus, b/c I'm 6'5"), ease of setup, small overall tent footprint.

bigcranky
04-09-2011, 16:25

A little lighter, and a little faster to set up, but really either of them would have made me happy.

wvgrinder
04-09-2011, 16:39

I think I'll try that on my GG The One. That floor is slicker than a cat's ass! :eek: