PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Three day backpack

fairweather8588
03-31-2011, 15:38
I'll be traveling out to NYC this summer to visit my brother for a week or so, and we'd like to get some trail time in on the Apppalachian. I've hiked in Arizona for years, but never anything back east so I'm looking for any suggestions for a 3 day hike along the trail that would be accessible from New York City via train or whatever works. Both of us are in fine shape, so somewhere around 30-40 miles will be fine, I'm just at a bit off a loss as to where to begin in terms of planning etc. so I thought I'd come to the experts for help.

Sidenote: He's suggested going to Harriman and hiking from Pawling from there, any opinions?

Thanks,
Andrew

Bare Bear
03-31-2011, 16:07
After a while I found I rarely use my big packs, and always end up taking the GOLITE 30 which has about 5,000 trail miles on it now. That said, why not just go from wherever is most simple and hike until you get somewhere to get off? In that area it is pretty easy, lots of road crossings, a little tougher hitching up north but what you have is time.

Cookerhiker
03-31-2011, 20:55
...Sidenote: He's suggested going to Harriman and hiking from Pawling from there, any opinions?

Thanks,
Andrew

That was going to be my suggestion as well. When you say "Hariman," do you mean Bear Mountain? I've hiked from Bear Mountain to Pawling on 2 occasions, both spending 3 nights on the trail. If you start further west in Harriman e.g. Rt. 17, 3 days to Pawling is pretty tough.

zar2101
04-05-2011, 15:26
On the Bear Mountain to Pawling hike - is there anywhere to stop off to get food/other supplies while on the trail?

Feral Bill
04-05-2011, 16:34
Get the trail map set for Harriman-Bear Mountain. Take the bus or train to wherever suits you. Hike a nice loop that includes that section of AT (or not). Take bus or train back to NYC.

Cookerhiker
04-27-2011, 10:52
On the Bear Mountain to Pawling hike - is there anywhere to stop off to get food/other supplies while on the trail?

I don't recall any such places to make it worthwhile for you timewise. You're only hiking for what, 3 nights at the most? You're better off carrying your supplies.