PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag suggestions?

mountainboogey
03-31-2011, 22:02
I have a MH Lamina 35. Will that be ok for a nobo hike starting march? Im thinking I may have to get a liner...

dragoro
03-31-2011, 22:24
Never hurts to have a liner. I use a silk one with my 20 degree bag when it's really cold.

STICK
03-31-2011, 23:10
What temps have you slept comfortably to in it? And while a liner will add a few degrees, I wouldn't completely count in it. When it's cold I would say it would be better to have a bag that works rather than relying on other stuff to get me there. Also, what kind of clothing will you be supplementing it with?

And I assume you are talking about for next year since today was the last day of March?

daddytwosticks
04-01-2011, 07:29
I've never personally used a liner because I toss and turn so much in my sleep. If you flip and flop around like me, you may not like the liner idea. :)

RevLee
04-01-2011, 10:22
Which part of March? Started last year on March 1st with 15 degree bag and didn't switch to my 30 degree bag until mid-April. Our coldest night was 9 degrees in late March. This year is much milder, but even today a couple of the southernmost shelters in VA are forecast for lows in the 20's.

mountainboogey
04-01-2011, 14:02
Yes...next March :)
I usually sleep pretty warm. I do most of my camping in the ADKs and it has worked well for me so far. I havent used a 20 degree bag in almost 10 years! But do most of my camping in the summer and fall. 9 degrees scares me a bit though. I will most likely have a heavy weight long underwear top and bottom (EMS T3) and a MH Zonal Jacket, as my warm layers. I feel like a 20 degree bag will be useless for me come mid April. I just dont want to purchase yet another sleeping bag...
I was actually hoping to even switch to the Thermarest Sleep system (Tech Blanket) for April on to MK. It weighs less than my MH Lamina

buz
04-05-2011, 09:24
well, if you can now, depending on where you live, or in the fall, test sleep at known temps to see what is what. That is the only dependable way I know to make sure you are good to go. What works for one, may not work for you, sleep temp wise. Practice will bring you the knowledge you need. Sucks to be cold at night. good luck.

skinewmexico
04-05-2011, 09:34
I've never personally used a liner because I toss and turn so much in my sleep. If you flip and flop around like me, you may not like the liner idea. :)

I tried a liner last weekend for the first time. It was horrible. I was twisted up in it under a quilt, can't imagine it in a mummy bag.