PDA

View Full Version : First Section Hike

HoBo
04-01-2011, 00:37
Hey guys!
I'm super excited about planning my first section hike. We're a group of defiantly three, possibly five right now hiking with three dogs. My two trail partners have backpacked across the country and I've spent the spring/summer of the last four years playing, camping, and weekend hiking.

I've checked out the question forum as well as the dog forum and have collected soooo much useful information so thanks!! I'm just putting in some of our early plans here in hopes the more experienced AT hikers can give some suggestions!

We plan to leave around the 25 of May for a twoish week hike from Harpers Ferry up to outside Harrisburg. I just ordered the data book and the thru-hikers book. We roughly plan to do 10-12 miles a day with 4 down days where we split and take turns hitching to town for resupply while the dogs hang back with the group thats resting. Anyone suggest cheaper, quicker town runs in that section?

I'm considering modifying my own weekend pack for the hike.. tho I'm leaning towards buying a external frame (suggestions? are internal better?)

And last for now, whats your favorite spot to give yourself time just to sit and take it in?

Thank you guys! I'm really looking forward to this!

Keg
04-01-2011, 09:43
I like sitting in the shelters after everyone has left in the morning and just staring out into the woods from my bag.

BigHodag
04-01-2011, 15:40
Your planned 1st section hike was also my first section hike.

I resupplied just outside Caledonia State Park at Henicles Market (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/07/appalachian-trail-pennsylvania-henicles.html). Plan to stay the night at Quarry Gap just north of Caledonia.

I enjoyed and lingered at Washington Monument, Annapolis Rocks, High Point, Penn-Mar Park, Tumbling Run shelters, Quarry Gap, Pine Grove State Park, and Boiling Springs.

Hot showers at Dahlgren campground, Caledonia ($3), Pine Grove, and Boiling Springs pool ($1).

Click my TrailJournal (http://www.trailjournals.com/location.cfm?trailname=10727) link in the left side bio pane for my section hike details.

l

ScottP
04-01-2011, 18:21
You might want to consider leaving the dogs home for your first section hike--there's enough of a learning curve as it is.

Nearly Normal
04-02-2011, 20:42
Concentrate on having a good time.

Blissful
04-02-2011, 20:50
Not a lot of places to resupply in that section. Great pizza place to the left on rt 30. Supposedly the hostel at Pine Grove Furnace will be up and running. Not sure if they take pets. There is a small grocery store there, home to the half gallon club for thru hikers but you can certainly indulge. With that many and pets included, I assume you plan to tent ?.

HoBo
05-04-2011, 21:19
Yeah. Were planning to tarp tent.Were all use to sleeping on the ground and plan to go cross country after our section hike.

How many days of food would you guys suggest? I wasn't planning on any more then 4? We have a jerky maker available to us so probably more there..

The dogs are certainly coming, I can't imagine doing anything like this with out my dog! Shes with me always.. minus work.. which makes the whole work thing even crappier. Shes 2.5 yrs done countless weekend camping and hiking trips and handles her own pack with out complaint. My best and most trusted friend!